Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (38 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

We shouldn’t have made such concrete plans before everyone was vaccinated really. It was always a danger there’d be a variant with vaccine escape.

Talking of which it’s gone very quiet on vaccination progress. I see the French are doing more per week now. Anyone know why we’ve slowed down?

On second jabs I think we've seen enough examples in this thread of there being confusion over appointments and timelines. Mrs BSB got invited to book her first one this week, but couldn't get a slot till the 23rd, which points to supply issues on first doses I think. If they just allowed the under 40s to receive AZ it would probably have gone faster

Philosorapter

You cannot force people to be vaccinated, but the take up has been excellent in every age group and particularly so in those most at risk of serious illness. You seem to be in favour of a zero Covid strategy which is fair enough, but it isn't realistic or pragmatic when we do in fact have a precedent with the flu vaccination programme.

I'll ask again-do you want to permanently close businesses that operate indoors?

I think you are setting up a false dichotomy with closing indoor businesses and also a zero Covid approach and my personal wants. We need a successful health service that is not going to be overwhelmed when restrictions are lifted.

At the moment, I believe, are not close to this.

Reactions: COV

COV

I think you are setting up a false dichotomy with closing indoor businesses and also a zero Covid approach and my personal wants. We need a successful health service that is not going to be overwhelmed when restrictions are lifted.

At the moment, I believe, are not close to this.

well it’s not just your belief, is it- if we we were then we’d be opening up again.

Brighton Sky Blue

At the moment, I believe, we don't have this.

As usual it's hard working out what your position actually is. If you're saying that even with a vaccinated population the NHS could be overwhelmed by removing restrictions, then it looks to me like an argument for permanent control measures.

COV

As usual it's hard working out what your position actually is. If you're saying that even with a vaccinated population the NHS could be overwhelmed by removing restrictions, then it looks to me like an argument for permanent control measures.

thats because you’re pissed off and so putting words in his mouth

Sick Boy

Have they said anything about the amber lists being done away with? Planning to come over in August once I’ve been fully vaccinated.

Brighton Sky Blue

The worst bit is the arrogance to say government business has always been different to social events like weddings and funerals!!!! Wow doesn’t hide his disdain for people like bsb. Utter wanker
I don’t disagree that work is different to play but it’s a fkin bbq not a meeting to sort vaccines. Selfish really and not defendable

Well it's more he just goes from lie to lie

'It's OK because there were less than 30 people there'

'No there weren't'

'It's OK because they were distancing'

'No they weren't'

'It's OK because it was government business'

'It was a barbecue'

samccov1987

Unfortunately the delta variant has changed the game. The need to double dose the adult population has obviously meant the original time lines have slipped.

Disappointing as it is i think the public have naively convinced themselves the 21st was set in stone (something encouraged by Boris). This was never the case.

There will be new variants and we could face a worrying winter. What needs to be addressed is how we learn to live with this. We can’t keep locking down but likewise some of the social distancing measures may need to remain - face masks, 1m+e.t.c.

Whilst a lot of the measures should come under personal responsibility I think we all know the public can be unreliable especially as time passes. The government are going to need to level with people at some point about what the future looks like.

Appreciate this is pessimistic view but still not convinced this is all over

Brighton Sky Blue

Unfortunately the delta variant has changed the game. The need to double dose the adult population has obviously meant the original time lines have slipped.

Disappointing as it is i think the public have naively convinced themselves the 21st was set in stone (something encouraged by Boris). This was never the case.

There will be new variants and we could face a worrying winter. What needs to be addressed is how we learn to live with this. We can’t keep locking down but likewise some of the social distancing measures may need to remain - face masks, 1m+e.t.c.

Whilst a lot of the measures should come under personal responsibility I think we all know the public can be unreliable especially as time passes. The government are going to need to level with people at some point about what the future looks like.

The public uptake of the vaccine has been the biggest demonstration of social responsibility.

Sick Boy

As I’ve said before, it’s not over until it’s won on a global level.

There’s little chance of Al’ de Pfeffel levelling with the public either.

chiefdave

We shouldn’t have made such concrete plans before everyone was vaccinated really.
I'm not one to defend the government but June 21st was never set in stone and they aren't the ones who labelled it freedom day.

You can still see the roadmap published on February 22nd on the government website and it clearly states "Step 4 which will take place no earlier than 21 June".

There are 4 conditions that have to be met to go to step 4.
The vaccine deployment programme continues successfully
Evidence shows vaccines are sufficiently effective in reducing hospitalisations and deaths in those vaccinated
Infection rates do not risk a surge in hospitalisations which would put unsustainable pressure on the NHS
The assessment of the risks is not fundamentally changed by new variants of concern.
You'd struggle to argue that those 4 conditions have been met.

I totally get BSB's argument that an event where everyone is vaccinated or tested is safe to proceed but aren't we then into 'vaccination passport' territory which many people on this thread have stated should not even be considered as an option and wouldn't be accepted by the public? Although there doesn't seem to have been too many complaints about it being used at test events.

If we go down that road the other issue is how it is implemented. The likes of Wembley and Edgbaston will be working hand in hand with local health authorities and will be closely monitored. Not sure you can say the same would be the case at someone's wedding for example so are you just working on trust and hoping nobody will break the rules?

Brighton Sky Blue

I'm not one to defend the government but June 21st was never set in stone and they aren't the ones who labelled it freedom day.

You can still see the roadmap published on February 22nd on the government website and it clearly states "Step 4 which will take place no earlier than 21 June".

There are 4 conditions that have to be met to go to step 4.

You'd struggle to argue that those 4 conditions have been met.

I totally get BSB's argument that an event where everyone is vaccinated or tested is safe to proceed but aren't we then into 'vaccination passport' territory which many people on this thread have stated should not even be considered as an option and wouldn't be accepted by the public? Although there doesn't seem to have been too many complaints about it being used at test events.

If we go down that road the other issue is how it is implemented. The likes of Wembley and Edgbaston will be working hand in hand with local health authorities and will be closely monitored. Not sure you can say the same would be the case at someone's wedding for example so are you just working on trust and hoping nobody will break the rules?

First part I agree with, the government have never actually set the date in stone as an all or nothing day. Weddings and funerals are smaller scale than the nightclub and sports test events that have been carried out so far, and would be easier to regulate from a vaccine passport perspective.

If you asked most people wanting to attend a wedding or funeral to either give evidence of vaccination or take a flow test I don't think they'd object. More broadly, I don't know.

clint van damme

Very hard to avoid breaking the screen

The Boris fan boys will be along crying any minute with no sense of awareness that they've been fucked over by their hero!
Would be hilarious if the rest of us didn't have to suffer as well.
Wheres that FTA with India?!

Brighton Sky Blue

The Boris fan boys will be along crying any minute with no sense of awareness that they've been fucked over by their hero!

The final 4 weeks of school are the least productive of the year. If that’s where most of the transmission is, close them.

skybluetony176

We already have it. It’s called a generalised system of preference and it was a rollover deal from the EU. But the government has got to pretend it isn’t there so when they sign a new FTA with India they can pretend we didn’t have something we already had and with the help of MSM the plebs will lap it up, especially if a flag is waved.

Evo1883

I’m now on the same side as insane Tory backbenchers

Mate

I'm starting to lose patience

Especially when you see the G7 leaders sharing wives and licking eachothers faces enjoying a good old jolly .

Let's take bets now

A double delta turbo RX variant will come about and we keep this bollocks going into autumn and then ofcourse autumn will see more cases start to happen and the old "learn to live with it " never really happens at all in 2021

Users who are viewing this thread