Man management this season (1 Viewer)

larry_david

This is not a Robins out thread.

Man management on the outside looks piss poor this season. Let’s look at some cases:

• Biamou – frozen out at the start of the season, barely given a kick in pre season only to be relied upon due to injuries. Now he’s playing with torn ligaments (I’m fine with this) but that game was over at 45 mins 45 seconds today. If he’s playing with a bad injury and the game’s gone. Get him off now but no. He plays on for another 20 mins. We have a game Wed where you’d imagine he starts.
  • Tyler Walker – had no pre season with us, caught Covid. Not MR fault. Came back into the team when Baka and Max were completely out of favour and played every game for about 8 games in two weeks. He was clearly running on empty every game and was persisted with, causing a 6 week injury.
  • Godden – rushed back when he wasn’t ready. Looked like he was running through treacle from min 1 of his return. Lo and behold – his injury came back and now he’s out for potentially the season.
  • Ryan Giles – our best attacking outlet and arguably ONLY player in the squad with lightening pace. Dropped for Mccallum, so much so that even when Sam is on a shocking run he kept his place. Giles recalled. How we could do with him now, McCallum looks shot.
  • Shipley – took 6 games too long to realise he was hiding. Confidence completely shot and still thrown out in the lions den.
  • Allen – Impact vs Wednesday and scores with his last touch. Doesn’t feature in the next two full games, Shipley chosen ahead of him purely because of height. Shipley could be 19 ft tall he’d still duck out of the header.
  • Bapaga – One of our best prospects and every time he’s come on he’s looked direct and skilful. Only just turned 18 so needs to be carefully managed. This in MR book means not playing him all season except for 3 mins, currently rotting on the bench
  • Eccles – pulls him back from a loan spell at Gillingham where he was featuring every game to play in the under 23s for us. Why not leave him out there if that’s your intention?
  • Subs – Few time’s we’ve been winning by more than goal he’s kept the same 11 out there and then moans afterwards that we’re playing with injuries and players are knackered. It’s not fucking rocket science. We have 5 subs to use because of this very reason. Use them and stop moaning.

Ultimately his use of Giles lost us the player. We've recalled Eccles back to rot in under23s, lack of subs is alarming every game and then moaning our players are knackered when Jobello and co don't get a sniff.

SBT

This is so all over the place it’s hard to know where to begin. But most of what you’re complaining about can be put down to our squad being so threadbare at the start of the season (due to a combo of a thin budget and lacklustre recruitment) that we had no choice but to thrash players like Godden and Walker until they broke down. Frankly I’m amazed O’Hare hasn’t gone down yet either. Every team has suffered more with injuries this year, but it shows more with crap squads like ours.

Also - you’ve got problems with the way Robins is handling, what, a third of the entire first team squad, but you don’t want him out?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

There are some decent points to be made in there, some of which I feel were kind of forced on MR though. With Godden and Walker if he hadn't used them it'd be "Why didn't MR use these players when they were available?" Hindsight in those cases is a wonderful thing.

Similarly with Max at least he's been willing to accept he might have got it wrong and reincluded him. Past managers would've left him out there just out of sheer stubborness and played Baka, who they'd given a new contract to. He's at least stuck his neck out for this criticism to be levelled at him, and if he hadn't the complaint would be "why did he freeze Max out when we needed players?"

cc84cov

Why is everyone putting “this isn’t a robins out thread”
It’s like we can’t be allowed to criticise him there have been times his decisions have to be questioned,he doesn’t have enoug players at the level but his use of subs etc at times is asking the questions

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

This thread will trigger some people that cannot handle the manager being criticised. The staple 'oh you just want him sacked' being the standard response to any genuine concerns.

Fact of the matter is, many games we have competed in this season, yet our points return is underwhelming. Of course errors and injuries can happen any time, but it cannot be ignored that his tactics and substitutions have been abysmal.

It is one of the main reasons we could see ourselves relegated.

D

Deleted member 11652

Why wasn’t Shipley brought on at lwb as soon as the third went in? Assuming he’ll be playing there on Wednesday. I would have made 5 changes as soon as the third went in. Wasn’t going to be detrimental to the team.

Fed up of hearing Robins blame the fixture congestion for poor performances when he refuses to use his subs. Bad enough he has to make up imaginary injuries to explain Max’s dreadful performances

Grendel

It’s like we can’t be allowed to criticise him there have been times his decisions have to be questioned,he doesn’t have enoug players at the level but his use of subs etc at times is asking the questions

The fact people say statues should be built and he’s already achieved more than Sillett kind of says why

Magwitch

How were no subs made at ht yesterday. He's come out and said the lack of fight was disgraceful. Well why not make a bloody statement and 3 subs at ht.
In fairness early substitutions after half -time might have been planned but Cardiff making it 3-0 thirty seconds into the second half would have buggered up the half-time talk I’d think.
Having said that we are notoriously poor at when to make the necessary changes.

clint van damme

This is not a Robins out thread.

Man management on the outside looks piss poor this season. Let’s look at some cases:

• Biamou – frozen out at the start of the season, barely given a kick in pre season only to be relied upon due to injuries. Now he’s playing with torn ligaments (I’m fine with this) but that game was over at 45 mins 45 seconds today. If he’s playing with a bad injury and the game’s gone. Get him off now but no. He plays on for another 20 mins. We have a game Wed where you’d imagine he starts.
  • Tyler Walker – had no pre season with us, caught Covid. Not MR fault. Came back into the team when Baka and Max were completely out of favour and played every game for about 8 games in two weeks. He was clearly running on empty every game and was persisted with, causing a 6 week injury.
  • Godden – rushed back when he wasn’t ready. Looked like he was running through treacle from min 1 of his return. Lo and behold – his injury came back and now he’s out for potentially the season.
  • Ryan Giles – our best attacking outlet and arguably ONLY player in the squad with lightening pace. Dropped for Mccallum, so much so that even when Sam is on a shocking run he kept his place. Giles recalled. How we could do with him now, McCallum looks shot.
  • Shipley – took 6 games too long to realise he was hiding. Confidence completely shot and still thrown out in the lions den.
  • Allen – Impact vs Wednesday and scores with his last touch. Doesn’t feature in the next two full games, Shipley chosen ahead of him purely because of height. Shipley could be 19 ft tall he’d still duck out of the header.
  • Bapaga – One of our best prospects and every time he’s come on he’s looked direct and skilful. Only just turned 18 so needs to be carefully managed. This in MR book means not playing him all season except for 3 mins, currently rotting on the bench
  • Eccles – pulls him back from a loan spell at Gillingham where he was featuring every game to play in the under 23s for us. Why not leave him out there if that’s your intention?
  • Subs – Few time’s we’ve been winning by more than goal he’s kept the same 11 out there and then moans afterwards that we’re playing with injuries and players are knackered. It’s not fucking rocket science. We have 5 subs to use because of this very reason. Use them and stop moaning.

Ultimately his use of Giles lost us the player. We've recalled Eccles back to rot in under23s, lack of subs is alarming every game and then moaning our players are knackered when Jobello and co don't get a sniff.

I agree with several points but I don't get the Giles love in to be honest.

Magwitch

At what point could there be a clamour for MR to go, if we did go down should he be replaced ? personally I don’t think so, we should be looking at our club ownership and it’s policy on how they run the club a bit more. Behind closed doors has masked our situation we cannot move forward playing in Birmingham it has to change it costs us about ten thousand home fans a game that at £25 a fan is a quarter of a million quid plus away fans which could be another £100k plus

Last edited:

larry_david

We need to stay up but remember where we've come from. Ultimately MR and AV have taken us from league 2 to champ in 3 years. Champ is notoriously hard with a ridiculous step up of quality, depth and most importantly, money.

Just like players like hyam, Shipley and max need to step up and adapt, so do our management team. The naivety shown by the staff recently worries me greatly, have THEY adapted yet??

D

Deleted member 11652

At what point could there be a clamour for MR to go, if we did go down should he be replaced ? personally I don’t think so, we should be looking at our club ownership and it’s policy on how they run the club a bit more. Behind closed doors has masked our situation we cannot move forward playing in Birmingham it has to change it costs us about ten thousand home fans a home game that at £25 a fan is a quarter of a million plus away fans which could be another £100k plus

If we go down Robins absolutely has to go.

cc84cov

It’s the manor at which we will go down it’s down to him too cautious he’s too negative and for me he’s not tactically good enough for the level we’re seeing this most weeks strange systems strange subs at weird times he made a double sub yesterday and went like for like at the back when 3-0 down it was like he knew he needed to make 2 walker was the obvious one but e didn’t know the other and just went like for like at the back...

Had we set up different changed things in certain games we would have move points,Brum,Huddersfield Forest to name a few if we do go down he goes for me

cc84cov

To come out and say it was the poorest performance but at half time make no subs shows he’s struggling himself to adapt to the level

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Why wasn’t Shipley brought on at lwb as soon as the third went in? Assuming he’ll be playing there on Wednesday. I would have made 5 changes as soon as the third went in. Wasn’t going to be detrimental to the team.

Fed up of hearing Robins blame the fixture congestion for poor performances when he refuses to use his subs. Bad enough he has to make up imaginary injuries to explain Max’s dreadful performances
Why would Biamou, Robins and the club lie about an injury to explain a performance stupid comment really, personally I believe Max plays his best considering he is a League 2 player playing in the Championship with a bad injury, I really like Max I think he has reached his ceiling and gone beyond but there is no reason to say they have made up an injury as an excuse

NorthernWisdom

And we have no idea how many on the bench we're carrying knocks, not 100% etc.
tbh, there are often times when Robins is inflexible with substitutions. Giving the starting 11 a chance to put it right after he's had words with them, isn't one of those times, however!

Who would be the game changer, anyway? Walker's just coming back (was surprised we saw him for as long as we did, tbh), Gyökeres is looking a bit lacklustre just atm for whatever reason, so we're left with Bapaga (sure, a talent, but it's got shades of the Kevin Thorntons about him just atm, a clamour to play him when we really haven't seen enough of him to decide he's actually up to it) or... Baka. Imagine the outcry on here if Shipley had come on at half-time!

Brighton Sky Blue

tbh, there are often times when Robins is inflexible with substitutions. Giving the starting 11 a chance to put it right after he's had words with them, isn't one of those times, however!

Who would be the game changer, anyway? Walker's just coming back (was surprised we saw him for as long as we did, tbh), Gyökeres is looking a bit lacklustre just atm for whatever reason, so we're left with Bapaga (sure, a talent, but it's got shades of the Kevin Thorntons about him just atm, a clamour to play him when we really haven't seen enough of him to decide he's actually up to it) or... Baka. Imagine the outcry on here if Shipley had come on at half-time!

Gyo probably had his motivation sucked away by seeing a not even fully fit Max start ahead of him

D

Deleted member 11652

Why would Biamou, Robins and the club lie about an injury to explain a performance stupid comment really, personally I believe Max plays his best considering he is a League 2 player playing in the Championship with a bad injury, I really like Max I think he has reached his ceiling and gone beyond but there is no reason to say they have made up an injury as an excuse

Robins said he is carrying an injury that doesn’t bother or cause Max any pain. How can that explain his shite performances.

If he is injured, then why are we running him into the ground when we have other options available?

Brighton Sky Blue

Robins said he is carrying an injury that doesn’t bother or cause Max any pain. How can that explain his shite performances.

If he is injured, then why are we running him into the ground when we have other options available?

Put Viveash in charge and make Robins the assistant

PUSB-We_are_going_up

I did not say an injury was fully affecting his performance, read the post again

larry_david

Is MR failing to adapt to the championship? Our whole set up is league 2. We are looking ridiculously naive at times from the top down. This isn't just about Shipley in the worst form of his life. This is the management of players. Gyo scores and has a stormer. Dropped. Allen scores and has best 20 mins, doesn't play. Baka gets no chance at all, starts one game, shite, never to be seen again where as others get chance after chance despite being poor.

Thinking about it our squad is all over the place

Users who are viewing this thread