Man management this season (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Harry H

I'm saying stop signing players from abroad who offer us nothing and sign 2-3 talented players, there seems to be no plan to signings, before it was sign talented players that are under the radar for whatever reason, improve them and flog on, now it's just sign an asthmatic kraut from a pub league because a spreadsheet says he might be good.

Hamer ? Name 2 or 3 talented players that we should be after and how much they would cost us (approx) , and then ask yourself if we have the money available for that. I await your reply with interest.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I thought he looked decent before getting injured last season, that feels like a long time ago now though...

Just checked. He has made 13 appearances for the club. 3 off the bench this season.

I know he had a bad injury but it has to go down as a signing that looks not to have worked out again.

We have had far too many of those.

Marty

Hamer ? Name 2 or 3 talented players that we should be after and how much they would cost us (approx) , and then ask yourself if we have the money available for that. I await your reply with interest.

Dan Barlaser, best midfielder we played against last year, signed permanently for Rotherham for only 1 million. Way ahead of Sheaf for the same price. A player I suggested we look at in the summer.

Sammie Szmodics, was on fire for Peterborough last season, performed well at league two level as well, made a permanet switch this year for only a 1 million, A player I suggested we look at in the summer.

Jorge Grant, tidy, neat footballer, good at running in behind, always seems to be in the right place at the right time. someone I keep suggesting we sign.

I'd have personally taken a risk on Marcus Maddison, been farmed out to Bolton after an injury, missed all pre season so would always have been playing catch up.

I get we haven't got money, I'm not asking us to go out and sign Ivan Toney or a top championship midfielder, we need to get the most bang for our buck, and all I see is us throwing money away on lower league crap from other countries. I'm genuinely concerned if we looked at any of these players or just signed them from some stats on a spreadsheet. All we kept hearing this summer, was how the statos were creaming about us signing these players.

Grendel

Isn’t it better to name clubs that are achieving stability in the league with limited funds

D

Deleted member 11652

Dan Barlaser, best midfielder we played against last year, signed permanently for Rotherham for only 1 million. Way ahead of Sheaf for the same price. A player I suggested we look at in the summer.

Sammie Szmodics, was on fire for Peterborough last season, performed well at league two level as well, made a permanet switch this year for only a 1 million, A player I suggested we look at in the summer.

Jorge Grant, tidy, neat footballer, good at running in behind, always seems to be in the right place at the right time. someone I keep suggesting we sign.

I'd have personally taken a risk on Marcus Maddison, been farmed out to Bolton after an injury, missed all pre season so would always have been playing catch up.

I get we haven't got money, I'm not asking us to go out and sign Ivan Toney or a top championship midfielder, we need to get the most bang for our buck, and all I see is us throwing money away on lower league crap from other countries. I'm genuinely concerned if we looked at any of these players or just signed them from some stats on a spreadsheet. All we kept hearing this summer, was how the statos were creaming about us signing these players.

Crowley was available in Jan as was Mendez Laing. These are just players average fans can list off the top of their heads. It’s naïve to think that Gyokeres, Reid and James was the best possible business we could have done.

Sky Blue Harry H

Isn’t it better to name clubs that are achieving stability in the league with limited funds

I suspect those clubs are all those that are at least a season ahead of us in terms of being established in The Championship (Barnsley have done a fantastic job, although they have had at least 2 ? manager changes in that time) Rotherham have also spent a season in The Championship whilst we had just come up from L2, so have had a better platform/resources to establish a stronger playing squad. I think some people are just forgetful of how quickly we've risen, from having to play Cheltenham and co, to the likes of Norwich, Brentford with several of the same players, and being unforgiving to players and management when we struggle.

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Crowley was available in Jan as was Mendez Laing. These are just players average fans can list off the top of their heads. It’s naïve to think that Gyokeres, Reid and James was the best possible business we could have done.

But both of those suggestions have been rumoured to upset squad morale or proved problematic to manage.

James has played much higher than this and was well-reviewed by the Barnsley fan on here. I think we'd struggle to find a better, more experienced player of that type in our budget. I'm sure ideally MR would've preferred to use the funds elsewhere but with Kelly out and his injuries usually taking a while to heal that calm experienced head in midfield seemed like an important thing to bring in. I was surprised we managed to snag him.

Gyokeres is a bit of a punt but he is at a PL team and an international. But we're not going to get a bang-in-form scorer because either the team won't want to sell them or other teams will be interested and shove the price up. You're certainly never going to get one on loan. But I think MR expected Walker to be back soon and wanted to focus on him and we were unsure about the status of Godden, so I think the forward option was always being looked at more as a back-up. Had he got those back the signing on another striker without getting rid of any of the existing ones would've looked like a waste of funds.

LB was a problem as I feared Giles might be recalled because MR refused to alternate him and Sam. In the end I guess we should be pleased Sam wasn't recalled as well. Reid is a development player but maybe MR felt he was ready enough to at least push for the first team given he'd been playing first team in Scotland? At the moment we don't know because he's injured so we're very much reliant on Sam, and last few games he has dropped off. Fatigue starting to set in, lack of competition now Giles is gone?

I think our Jan could've been much worse.

clint van damme

Both with known attitude problems

larry_david

Wow, state of this load of bollocks. Some of the cunts on this thread would have sacked Jimmy Hill.
Can discuss a managers failings without asking for him to be sacked. If you managed a team in an office and made questionable decisions, wouldn't you expect to be questioned?

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Can discuss a managers failings without asking for him to be sacked. If you managed a team in an office and made questionable decisions, wouldn't you expect to be questioned?

Don’t want to speak for Rob but I’d say asking questions is absolutely fine and personally think you raise some valid points, some of the responses are very silly though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was gutted after the Cardiff match. The defence was looking relatively good when you think back to how it was. So to see the same old defensive issue, and stupid errors like the third goal was just heart breaking - how much of that is man management?

mark82

So it’s an injury that doesn’t affect performance. So it’s irrelevant then?

There's a difference between an injury not stopping you playing and one that doesn't impact your performance. Pretty much any injury will impact your performance in some way, whether it's a restriction in the way you move or whether it affects you mentally.

shmmeee

The manager that signed

Dabo
McCallum
McFadzean
Hamer
Kelly
O'Hare
Godden

He signs some squad players who haven't set the world alight (were they expected to), so he's shite. Get a grip you utter clowns. All managers will sign a mix of squad players and first teamers.

The fact we’ve got players on contracts they signed in L2 tells you all you need to know. Our rise has been meteoric and unless you’ve got tens of millions to blow in the window the squads gonna have some holes in it.

Frostie

The manager that signed

Dabo
McCallum
McFadzean
Hamer
Kelly
O'Hare
Godden

He signs some squad players who haven't set the world alight (were they expected to), so he's shite. Get a grip you utter clowns. All managers will sign a mix of squad players and first teamers.

Exactly & you can add Rose, Marosi, Hyam & Allen of the current squad who all achieved or exceeded what they were brought in to do. Hell if you really wanted you could even make an argument to say that Biamou & Bakayoko contributed in us achieving what they were signed for.
That's before we even look at the players from previous seasons who were successful for us before they moved on, largely because our progress surpassed their ability.

Off top of my head the only current squad member that's been an unmitigated disaster is Kastaneer & that's more down to his attitude rather than a lack of ability.

For some of the current squad the step up has been too great - shock horror, you can't replace 20 players in a summer.
Our recruitment on the whole has been exceptional & is a key factor in where we are.

It does get much more difficult now though as we're in an absolute shark tank & one of our key avenues in finding value has closed due to Brexit.
To give you an example, even finding a lower league player capable of being effective at Championship level is going to be costly & you'd be battling probably a quarter of the league to sign them.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

The manager that signed

Dabo
McCallum
McFadzean
Hamer
Kelly
O'Hare
Godden

I have quoted my post from the January Transfer Window thread. These are our signings this season.

Our transfer business this season:

I have gone through the players and given my own verdict (I am sure people will agree/disagree at their own will which is fine). A tick has gone to a player who I think has made a positive impact on the first team following promotion. A cross for a player who has not. I have also added a strike for a player who I think the jury is still out on. My findings are a bit worrying.

✅ Gustavo Hamer - Very good signing.

✅ Callum O'Hare - Clearly has a lot of talent and works very hard. Probably one of our best players when it clicks, but some serious questions over his final product. Considering we are looking almost entirely at him to make something happen, it is worrying.

✅ Leo Östigard - At times he has been incredible, but considering how many headers he wins, he should have scored many more goals. Definitely a lot of potential with him.

✅ Matty James - Looks good. In the game against Watford he was impressive.

❓ Julien Da Costa - Been a complete sick note to be honest. Has shown some real quality in the last 3 games, but it is already mid-February.

❓ Viktor Gyökeres - We have been in dire need of a striker. We sign this guy, and it is hard to have an opinion. Robins isn't really playing him. What is the point? An injured Biamou is playing ahead of him.

❓ Tyler Walker - Looked good in spells, but I think the jury is still very much out. Been injured a lot (yes, I know catching Covid etc isn't necessarily his fault), but it is hard for me to rate a player who we haven't seen an awful lot of still.

❓ Ben Sheaf - Looked good in spells, also has had a lot of mistakes in him. Again, jury is probably still out.

❌ Ryan Giles - Bad signing. Didn't get used at all, even when McCallum was the worst player on the pitch. Ended up being recalled and has scored two goals for a relegation rival.

❌ Sam McCallum - He is very young still, but I have not been very impressed at all. Been a weak link a lot of the time.

❌ Josh Reid - Not signed for the first team really.

❌ Marcel Hilßner - Had some illness with his lungs, but then was loaned to League 2. Robins has said he isn't sure he is up to the level required. Why sign him then?

❌ Fabio Tavares - Not signed for the first team really.

❌ Lee Camp - Didn't play once.

You then have Gervane Kastaneer from last season who has been a flop. Jobello who is back from injury and not playing (not sure why). Josh Eccles has been recalled from playing regular football only to rot in the under 23s.

As I said, I know not everyone will agree with what I have said, but even if I was to be only slightly wrong, that ratio still looks worrying to me. I think some serious questions need asking.

shmmeee

I have quoted my post from the January Transfer Window thread. These are our signings this season.

I'm not McCallum's biggest fan, but defensively he's a solid upper mid table full back, especially aerially. If we played 4 at the back he'd be fine, he just doesn't have the dynamism going forward that Giles, Dabo, and Dacosta do. I think the bigger mistake at LWB was bringing him in at all when we just had a loanee in that position. At the time it sounded like he wasn't in our plans but we got the offer and thought why not.

Reid and Tavares are both U23 signings. Camp was always here to sit on the bench and provide some competition for Wilson. Not sure they should be counted really as non-standard signings.

Personally, I'd call Dacosta a success for what he was which is a backup to Dabo, similarly I think Walker and Sheaf have shown enough, but that's a matter of opinion.

Hilsner is definitely this year's Kastaneer (except he performs when dropped to a lower level).

SBT

The manager that signed

Dabo
McCallum
McFadzean
Hamer
Kelly
O'Hare
Godden

So from your list, we've added just one new decent player since promotion from L1. And people wonder why we're struggling?

Users who are viewing this thread