Match Thread Birmingham City (H) - 7:45 Tue 23rd Nov (1 Viewer)

Hertsccfc

He didn’t
Players you don't like are incapable of having a good game aren't they? Of course he had a great game. I believe that if you had never seen him before and that was his debut you would have seen how well he did.

There are players I don't rate but I can still see when they have a good game.

As for you view that it wasn't a penalty.....

Grendel

Players you don't like are incapable of having a good game aren't they? Of course he had a great game. I believe that if you had never seen him before and that was his debut you would have seen how well he did.

There are players I don't rate but I can still see when they have a good game.

As for you view that it wasn't a penalty.....

No they don’t it’s an objective assessment shared by many looking at the ratings

I didn’t say it wasn’t a penalty I said they are never given same as other rules such as goalkeeper possession timing. They are ignored and as a result players wrestle and shove. Goalkeepers get free kicks but rarely do outfield players. If you look at the clip players manhandling each other at will. I doubt in this case anyway the ref even saw it

Londonccfcfan

Our best bits
We’ve seen it against Derby and a couple of others. When teams set themselves up not to lose and play for a point we struggle a little. They also pushed right up at goal kicks which made it trickier to play out from back. If opposition double team Ohare we probably lack a bit of pace to unlock teams

As Clive said (several times !) when I was driving home we should take it as a compliment

Agree, our best passages of play were on the counterattack. Where we look always dangerous.

Funnily enough playing against a Bournemouth or Fulham will suit us alot more than Derby, Shef or Birmingham.

clint van damme

We’ve seen it against Derby and a couple of others. When teams set themselves up not to lose and play for a point we struggle a little. They also pushed right up at goal kicks which made it trickier to play out from back. If opposition double team Ohare we probably lack a bit of pace to unlock teams

As Clive said (several times !) when I was driving home we should take it as a compliment

I hear what you're saying but we got into several good positions down their left hand side and didn't make the most of them and in my opinion that was down to poor desicion making on our part more than anything else.

We always seem to have a spell like this each season under Robins and we normally find the solution.

djr8369

Games like this make me think more and more we're a mid-table side that has had a good start and are slowly coming down to our level and not a top 6 side that people don't rate properly.

We've had 140 minutes of dominance in the last 2 games and scored 0 goals.
Our current form has us solidly mid table and with how tight the middle of the league is we will be there in a few weeks.

CCFCSteve

I hear what you're saying but we got into several good positions down their left hand side and didn't make the most of them and in my opinion that was down to poor desicion making on our part more than anything else.

We always seem to have a spell like this each season under Robins and we normally find the solution.

I agree. I’ve said on another post we weren’t clinical enough in final third, that’s a mixture of poor decision making, poor final ball or disappointing effort - Hamer, vik, Walker and maybe Maatsen first half...stick one of those away and it’s a different/game perspective. I thought we played pretty well against a cynical team set up to stifle us/play for a point which we do struggle against compared to more open games where teams sit off us...got to get used to it though

Offhegoes

First half, thought we were excellent, cut them open numerous times, but as always O'Hare and Dabo's final balls weren't good enough + Viktor is off form in front of goal, however his link up play was brilliant. We lost a bit of control 2nd half, but still created the best chances, and was sure we'd grab a late winner. I like Kelly, but I can't understand why Sheaf didn't start, thought he was outstanding at Sheff UTD. Perhaps he had a knock. Our lack of options off the bench is a worry though when we're chasing a goal. If Jodi Jones is named on the bench why is he not being given minutes? He would of been my choice to replace O'Hare. Also Tyler should of come on earlier. Kane for Dabo and Sheaf for Kelly on Saturday please.

larry_david

Hyam did his job and helped keep Hogan, Deeney and Juke quiet when he came on. If O'hare, Dabo, Hamer, whoever had any end product about them and we won that game, people would be saying defence was spot on, solid performance.

So for people to start picking on Hyams passing rather than focus on the 17,000 times O hare was wide at the byline and failed to find a man....bit weird.

Liquid Gold

I think the players out too much pressure on themselves when we’re level. Always looking for the perfect goal with an extra touch or an extra pass when they just need to put their laces through the ball.

Once we score our first in a game we generally look like getting more because the pressure is off.

It must be a mental block as we obviously have the ability.

cc84cov

As great as Sheaf is on the ball, i think he would've been bullied in there yesterday. We had enough chances/positions to score/create chances while also keeping it very tight at the back
Thought it was odd he didn’t start but you can see robins thinking as they pressed hard in that midfield

Sbarcher

Not wanting to trawl through earlier pages, but there must have been at least 15 "long throws". If they each take 1/2 minte that's nearly 10% of normal time wasted due to walking over, wiping the ball, preparing the run-up and eventual throw. Refs should get a grip on this method of time wasting.

SkyBlueMatt

We were anything but exceptional - we ran out of ideas and had no real plan at all in the second half - the keeper was hardly tested all night

Well, we all have our opinions. Exceptional maybe slightly exaggerated but I was very impressed with the performance. As the second half went on we did lose our way a little but we dominated that game and with a few better decisions on that final ball, it's a comfortable victory.

SkyBlueMatt

Not wanting to trawl through earlier pages, but there must have been at least 15 "long throws". If they each take 1/2 minte that's nearly 10% of normal time wasted due to walking over, wiping the ball, preparing the run-up and eventual throw. Refs should get a grip on this method of time wasting.

Exactly this, the long throws really got under my skin. Stop, delay, start.

lordy_87

I think some of the criticism of Hyam on the ball is a bit over the top. He's come with us from L2 and last night completely nullified Deeney with his two other fellow centre halfs. I think that's all you can ask for really, he did his job well last night. The reason we didn't win was due to not putting our chances away. The defence as a unit was superb last night imo.

baldy

How rat-faced Bowyer can say they looked the more likely to win it is beyond me….horrible team

fernandopartridge

I think some of the criticism of Hyam on the ball is a bit over the top. He's come with us from L2 and last night completely nullified Deeney with his two other fellow centre halfs. I think that's all you can ask for really, he did his job well last night. The reason we didn't win was due to not putting our chances away. The defence as a unit was superb last night imo.
Deeney is finished though

Hyam game after game continues to take too many touches and then not play the brave pass we need to get us up the pitch, it's infuriating.

CovBrummie94

People will find any reason to slag off Hyam. Did fuck all wrong last night and was as solid as the other two

Defensively he was solid and that is his main job after all. But our style of play relies on our CBs moving the ball forward quickly and too many times last night he stifled attacks with too many touches, passes out of play or passes that put Dabo in trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tommo1993

Defensively he was solid and that is his main job after all. But our style of play relies on our CBs moving the ball forward quickly and too many times last night he stifled attacks with too many touches, passes out of play or passes that put Dabo in trouble.

Dabo has landed us in enough shit by his own doing. But what about Rose’s poor touch that gifted Birmingham the ball in some really threatening positions, at least twice?

CovBrummie94

Dabo has landed us in enough shit by his own doing. But what about Rose’s poor touch that gifted Birmingham the ball in some really threatening positions, at least twice?

McFadzean also tried to be cute in the first half and almost gifted Blues a chance. They’ve all got it in them that’s why they play in the Championship. However Hyam stood out to me as the one who struggled last night with his passing. I have no problem with his defensive ability though he’s been quality this season.

SBT

It's one of the most obvious time-wasting tactics for inferior opposition. If anyone remembers Chris Anderson, his book has a whole section on this, and how Stoke used it to survive in the PL. You basically compete with better teams by playing as little football as possible.

lordy_87

Deeney is finished though

Hyam game after game continues to take too many touches and then not play the brave pass we need to get us up the pitch, it's infuriating.
He isn't as good on the ball as McFadzean and Rose, I accept that (though he did play one great pass through to O'Hare first half). I just think people expect a bit too much from him.

shmmeee

He isn't as good on the ball as McFadzean and Rose, I accept that (though he did play one great pass through to O'Hare first half). I just think people expect a bit too much from him.

Im not sure being able to make a ten yard pass is asking too much of a Championship footballer TBH.

Brighton Sky Blue

I do kind of expect someone at this level to look across the line. It’s so dangerous against non shite opposition.

Evo1883

Felt like we created the chances to win the match , wasn't a brilliant 90 , but we were more than good enough to win .

My comments on hyam would be that I was getting frustrated at the length of time he was holding onto the ball avoiding the pass forward which would have allowed us to progress , it was atleast 4 times .

I have no issues with his defensive ability tbh

Users who are viewing this thread