Squad (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Only six CBs in the entire division managed more than three goals last season. Of the 17 centre backs who managed three goals, two of them are ours.

Panzo will have that by the end of August

shmmeee

I’d call Waghorn more of an AM considering the role he plays, as such I think we’re just a RWB short of decent cover across the team. 5CBs + Bidwell will be fine.

Saw someone say we’re poor after our first XI, this is our second string vs our first season back for comparison:

Wilson
Rose ??? Doyle
Kane/RWB Allen Kelly/Eccles Adaramola
Waghorn
Godden Walker

or depending on the front three of the first team:
Palmer Waghorn
Walker

Vs

Marosi
Østigård McFadz Hyam
Pask Hamer Kelly Giles
O’Hare Allen
Godden

Obviously the latter is better but I don’t think it’s miles apart.

Reactions: AOM

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Quality loan signings this season, top six Finish this season.

Last edited:

mmttww

I still feel like we're a first team CB away from really pushing on, someone that can be a leader if Fadz isn't fit or his form slips.

Not sure if Rose is capable of being that player but hope he gets a chance to show us either way early in the season.

That way, if he's not up to it, we could look at bringing someone in during Jan. If he is, we can plug another gap e.g. CM or RWB.

steve cooper

Except that the championship in general is a lot stronger than it was last year.
And your not having 2 teams with massive points deductions.
And we arnt going to be the surprise package that we were last year.

I'm not wanting to piss on your fire, but it's easy to get carried away before a ball has been kicked in anger.
If you want a reality check, go through that squad, and ask yourself how many of those players would of got into Fulhams starting line up last year.

And it's worth pointing out that a third of our squad havnt made 20 championship starts BETWEEN THEM!!!!
I don't think we should be comparing our squad to the team that finished top last year, I don't think many people expect us to win the league. A better question would be how we compare to Luton's last season team.

Great_Expectations

As it stands, I think the squad is stronger than last year.

If the loan signings live up to their potential, then Adaramola and Panzo are upgrades on Maatsen and JCS, or at least on par. While Palmer offers a new option at 10 in the box and improved cover for COH than having Allen play 10.

The whole squad also have an extra years experience.

The caveats; we need the youngsters on the fringes to step up, namely Eccles and Taveres. Plus Burroughs, Howley but not as much urgency or pressure on them. I’d also be concerned re Dabo, he was either unfit or poor last year. We need him fit and on form. Especially as cover is limited.

Gibbo

On the Assumption Kane and Walker go, as has been touted a lot recently

GK- Moore, Wilson
RWB - Dabo, Eccles, Burroughs
LWB - Adaramola, Bidwell
CB - Hyam, Rose, Fadz, Panzo, Doyle
CM - Hamer, Sheaf, Allen, Eccles, Kelly, Howley
CAM - O'Hare, Palmer
ST - Gyokores, Godden, Tavares, Waghorn

Il say it, stronger than last year. No reason a play off push cant take place
Viewed another way

From League 1: (8) Wilson, Dabo, Hyam, Rose, MacFadz, Allen, Kelly,Godden (plus O'Hare see below)
Converted from loans: (3) O'Hare, Sheaf, Gyokeres,
Experienced Championship players out of favour at existing clubs: (5) Moore, Bidwell, Waghorn, Palmer (and Kane)
Money: (1) Hamer
Loans: (3) Panzo, Doyle, Adaramola
Development: (1) Tavares
Youth: (3) Eccles, Burroughs, Howley

Three thoughts...

1. Palmer is interesting as so far his strand - 'experienced chamionship players out of favour/contract' - has produced mixed results at best.

2. This year there has been no major permanent acquisition who goes automatically straight in to the 1st team. Previous years in this division we had Hamer or the three converted from loans. Year 1 in C'ship: Hamer & O'Hare, year 2 Sheaf and Vik, year 3 ? The noises are Palmer does not go straight in.

3. This year, at last, may we see some return on all that investment in youth. It's 5 years since a youth player became a regular. Does this explain the relatively quiet transfer window?

stupot07

For me, I don't see the current squad as significantly stronger than last season, the only place we have actually strengthened is adding Palmer, who has undoubted quality but question marks on whether that can be produced consistently, having fell out of favour at Bristol.

Defensively, we have replaced JCS and Maatsen with players on paper of a similar quality, injuries worry me though as I really wouldn't want to play a run of games with two 18 year olds on the left side of defense.

There is no reason why we shouldn't push for play off though, everyone has a years more experience. Injuries will be key, and have we rectified the issue of conceding silly goals, as we're unlikely to score lots of injury time winners again this season. On that front, im not convinced the defensive signings have done this.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

AOM

I’d call Waghorn more of an AM considering the role he plays, as such I think we’re just a RWB short of decent cover across the team. 5CBs + Bidwell will be fine.

Saw someone say we’re poor after our first XI, this is our second string vs our first season back for comparison:

Wilson
Rose ??? Doyle
Kane/RWB Allen Kelly/Eccles Adaramola
Waghorn
Godden Walker

or depending on the front three of the first team:
Palmer Waghorn
Walker

Vs

Marosi
Østigård McFadz Hyam
Pask Hamer Kelly Giles
O’Hare Allen
Godden

Obviously the latter is better but I don’t think it’s miles apart.

If Waghorn stays, I also wouldn't be opposed to see him play in that CAM role as backup.
He has good ball control and releases it well, but doesn't look like he's got the pace anymore to run clear of defenders so could be a good option there

Bugsy

talking about squads.....PUSB

1659012464637.png

shmmeee

If Waghorn stays, I also wouldn't be opposed to see him play in that CAM role as backup.
He has good ball control and releases it well, but doesn't look like he's got the pace anymore to run clear of defenders so could be a good option there

I think ideally we’d see someone come in like/for Allen that is a bit more effective at CM and AM to be the third man. Or we’d get rid of Walker and Waghorn and get a ST/AM in. But as it stands having Waghorn and Walker as your reserve forwards isn’t the end of the world. Next season both are out of contract so we can always leave a replacement until then.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I can see the logic, but it's still very poor in my opinion. Have a striker that can't score, but because he works hard a bit, drop him into attacking midfield.

Evo1883

I can see the logic, but it's still very poor in my opinion. Have a striker that can't score, but because he works hard a bit, drop him into attacking midfield.

He plays like a second striker anyway to me , his stats over his career would maybe back this up

AOM

Fair enough. I think if Waghorn does stay this year he'll add a lot more than he did last season, but who knows.
Last season he seemed to drop back at times and link up the midfield to up front so could be suited to that role.

AOM

I think ideally we’d see someone come in like/for Allen that is a bit more effective at CM and AM to be the third man. Or we’d get rid of Walker and Waghorn and get a ST/AM in. But as it stands having Waghorn and Walker as your reserve forwards isn’t the end of the world. Next season both are out of contract so we can always leave a replacement until then.

I do rate Jamie Allen but wouldn't be opposed to improving where possible in that position, especially with Kelly's injury record.

Also hoping this is the season Tyler Walker finally breaks through and becomes the striker we need, but I imagine he'll probably go this window...

slowpoke

I do rate Jamie Allen but wouldn't be opposed to improving where possible in that position, especially with Kelly's injury record.

Also hoping this is the season Tyler Walker finally breaks through and becomes the striker we need, but I imagine he'll probably go this window...
Thought arguably Allen finished last season our best midfielder and always works his cogs off all match wouldn’t bother me should he play.

Tea & Busquets

Callum Wright on loan from Leicester would be perfect IMO. Can fill in both gaps. Elliot Anderson would also be good.

Users who are viewing this thread