Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (14 Viewers)

Evo1883

Is he between 20 and 30?
Yes Brighton is dating a 2 year old 😂
giphy.gif

clint van damme

Some proper weirdos in this world

How can you like being in lockdown View attachment 19526

Quality time spent with the kids.
Suffer with mental health/ social anxiety which is exasperated by everyday situations.
Genuinely very scared of catching covid.
Hate work and love being furloughed.

Equally, some of the above have driven other people up the wall.
Being at home was certainly getting to me.

NorthernWisdom

Suffer with mental health/ social anxiety which is exasperated by everyday situations.

Yeah, I know somebody who would probably say overall benefit because he's got to be stay at home Dad to his newborn, and spend time he otherwise wouldn't get the chance to. He hates the lack of social, the worry etc, but he has had a chance he'd never normally get.

Ultimately the figures are small, so if you add in the people you say, and the ones who miss a commute...

It doesn't even mean they want it to continue, just on balance the experience has been positive.

(For clarity of the uncomprehending morons, none of the above are me)

Note it's younger people who are more likely to say positive, so job stresses probably account for that.

Last edited:

chiefdave

What was the context in the article that was in as having a quick skim through the full report its not presented as 'people love lockdown', the opposite if anything.

And of course people may have liked aspects of lockdown, the report highlights WFH and saving money, but that's very different from saying they are pushing for everyone to stay in lockdown permanently.

Sbarcher

Just thinking aloud, should Kate Garraway's husband pass away (obviously hope he doesn't), without having had a Covid test within the last 28 days, would his cause of death go down as Covid. Would that be correct with the way deaths are reported?

CCFCSteve

Mrs. Wisdom not having a three hour round trip for her commute to work is a good thing. Not seeing her family, the risk to her own health, and having to get married with most of her friends and family not there are very much not good things...

Yeah, everyones circumstances are a little different so pros and cons are very individual/personal. Im actually shocked by the higher numbers of younger adults who don’t appear to mind lockdown. Changing times though I guess, if it had happened when I was in my 20s it would’ve been horrific (for me) !!!! Social interactions are changing though, as long as they’ve got their tech, many are happy, which whilst good in lockdown is a bit of a shame really...maybe I’m just getting old 🤷‍♂️

chiefdave

Hope the pictures being shared on social media and in the press this morning of people queuing for pubs & shops aren't representative of what is happening everywhere as there seems to be little social distancing going on and few people wearing masks. Been weeks of politicians, experts etc pleading with people to be responsible, fingers cross we see people taking that onboard.

Seems to be some very liberal interpretations of what is classed as outside, not sure I'd be putting an enclosed marquee on that list.

Anyone returned the gym this morning, was it sensible numbers or rammed?

SBT

What was the context in the article that was in as having a quick skim through the full report its not presented as 'people love lockdown', the opposite if anything.

The full question is at the bottom: Would you say that, on balance, you have liked or disliked “lockdown”?

I can see why people would answer that question in a positive way (even if most didn’t). I’m lucky enough to have had a really good year despite everything. Doesn’t mean I’m dreading a return to normal or actively trying to keep lockdown going. Off for a haircut in a bit, can’t fucking wait.

NorthernWisdom

Changing times though I guess, if it had happened when I was in my 20s it would’ve been horrific (for me) !!!! Social interactions are changing though, as long as they’ve got their tech, many are happy, which whilst good in lockdown is a bit of a shame really...maybe I’m just getting old 🤷‍♂️
Agree with all that, especially the getting old bit ;)

Still remember a quote from one of their friends when a student died, 'they were a really good friend, always on facebook checking up on people'. That just seems odd to me, not to go round somebody's house and say hello!

Just different ways for different people I guess. Does show it's somewhat counterintuitive though - you'd assume older people (not working etc!) would find it easier but, anecdotally, my Mum's found it really tough, despite the fact her life hasn't really changed all that much!

Sky Blue Pete

Hope the pictures being shared on social media and in the press this morning of people queuing for pubs & shops aren't representative of what is happening everywhere as there seems to be little social distancing going on and few people wearing masks. Been weeks of politicians, experts etc pleading with people to be responsible, fingers cross we see people taking that onboard.

Seems to be some very liberal interpretations of what is classed as outside, not sure I'd be putting an enclosed marquee on that list.

Sensible at mine

Skybluefaz

Every second piece of equipment is not available at my Gym anyway. You can view numbers of people in the gym online. I'll be going this evening.

hill83

Finding it pretty difficult to be outraged when I presume most were uni students who fall into the really low risk category and we've vaccinated millions of older and at risk people. Got to move on a little at some point.

It’s going to take a while for people to mentally shift back to normality. Outrage about a queue outside a pub isn’t normal. Wonder how long it will take.

That’s not having a go at anyone by the way, and I get it. But if things are opening and rules are changing I’m happy to go with it.

jordan210

Some proper weirdos in this world

How can you like being in lockdown View attachment 19526

I dont trust any polls. They are so highly manipulated its a Joke. YouGov for example I heard if you dont agree with the narrative you dont get asked to participate in more polls.

To test this a signed up.

I was invited to a few different polls on multiple topics. During one of them a question about Covid passports came up as the last question. I put strongly disagree. Since then I have not been asked to participate in any other polls.

seams that the way to get the results wanted Is to remove anyone who questions it.

hill83

I dont trust any polls. They are so highly manipulated its a Joke. YouGov for example I heard if you dont agree with the narrative you dont get asked to participate in more polls.

To test this a signed up.

I was invited to a few different polls on multiple topics. During one of them a question about Covid passports came up as the last question. I put strongly disagree. Since then I have not been asked to participate in any other polls.

seams that the way to get the results wanted Is to remove anyone who questions it.

What’s the benefit of manipulating polls though? What is being gained? Genuine question.

hill83

Population manipulation

Have you got any examples, half the time polls pop up it’s during an election year and they are always completely wrong. Or is it to do with if they push a narrative like above with vaccine passports it’s more likely to encourage more people to go along with it?

NorthernWisdom

Have you got any examples, half the time polls pop up it’s during an election year and they are always completely wrong. Or is it to do with if they push a narrative like above with vaccine passports it’s more likely to encourage more people to go along with it?
Given we have a populist government that blows with the wind, I wouldn't see any benefit with manipulating the polls anyway. If the polls said something else, they'd do that instead!

Evo1883

Finding it pretty difficult to be outraged when I presume most were uni students who fall into the really low risk category and we've vaccinated millions of older and at risk people. Got to move on a little at some point.
I agree

NorthernWisdom

Definitely a safe place
Let's hope so!

At the risk of being misquoted, that is my worry overall however. This stage shouldn't be so bad as it's outside, and that doesn't seem so bad. It's worth noting there are university staff who are higher risk who haven't been (at all / only partially) vaccinated however, and they'll come into contact with the students.

Now, when I was 20, that probably wouldn't have occurred to me, but it's worth the reminder to remember others, and be considerate.

Evo1883

To be fair , it's not been good for most kids so it's quite selfish in a way to prioritise your happiness over theirs

I think it's made many people with mental health worse that i know .

Hate work and love furlough ..yea

Sky Blue Pete

Only anecdotal but it’s across social media how the masses are manipulated into believing certain things by the media

NorthernWisdom

Only anecdotal but it’s across social media how the masses are manipulated into believing certain things by the media
Yet academic research moved away from that in the early '80s. It's all about active audiences now, and how people reject certain views and embrace others according to their prior dispositions, and the what the media does is tweak, or play on those dispositions that already exist. So you won't persuade a hardcore nazi or raving commie any different, whatever you put up.

Users who are viewing this thread