Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (12 Viewers)

Evo1883

Even if they are there’s booster shots coming in the autumn/winter which are very easy to make, especially so given this our advances in quick genetic sequencing of new variants. For flu in the past we had to do a bit of guesswork, not now.

And I'm assuming booster shots will only be given to the vulnerable ...as in the flu shots .

NorthernWisdom

Keeps changing Dave but presume herd immunity is irrelevant if new variants appear (locally or from abroad)

Ps also, isn’t there a question mark over how long the vaccines last (hence talk about annual boosters) - BSB ?
We don't actually know how long vaccines will work - yet. That's why they're talking boosters, including to combat variants that crop up. To a degree, if you get the world vaccinated, and can suppress transmission, it'll burn itself out without boosters anyway, to a level where it's AOK in the realms of risk.

Just have to crack on with the world. No good us being among the first if other nations can then adapt to big nasty killer Covid variant.

Brighton Sky Blue

And I'm assuming booster shots will only be given to the vulnerable ...as in the flu shots .

To be honest as it would just be one booster jab needed you could give it to everyone if you were concerned about a particular variant. The Brazilian one is causing carnage over there and I expect more will be made in that country as it’s basically turned into a COVID factory

Brighton Sky Blue

Keeps changing Dave but presume herd immunity is irrelevant if new variants appear (locally or from abroad)

Ps also, isn’t there a question mark over how long the vaccines last (hence talk about annual boosters) - BSB ?

There’s only a question over length because we’re collecting data on it in real time.

NorthernWisdom

I can't imagine the cost of a complete population booster shot every year .
Ultimately depends how risky it is to have the rest of the population able to pass something on. The ultimate aim is to get your Cov-sip that combats the milder variants - I long for the day that you feel you have a spot of Covid, you pop into Boots for the remedy!

clint van damme

I can't imagine the cost of a complete population booster shot every year .

Expensive, but how expensive are spikes in hospitalizations and lock downs?
But as the vulnerable get annual flu jabs was wondering if they can get a covid booster while they're there. Might cut the costs down if feasible.

Evo1883

Significantly less than the cost of another lockdown TBF.

True , however is the risk of death enough below a certain age to even do it every year ? Otherwise this is a forever thing or atleast a foreseeable future thing

Example 40% of flu hospital admissions every year are children under 15 ...they dont however get jabbed every year without an underlying issue

covmark

To be honest as it would just be one booster jab needed you could give it to everyone if you were concerned about a particular variant. The Brazilian one is causing carnage over there and I expect more will be made in that country as it’s basically turned into a COVID factory
Yeah, I read somewhere the other day, I think it was a scientist that said it. Brazil poses a significant risk to global health, the way it's going over there.

Bolsanaro is a complete nutjob.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

Ultimately depends how risky it is to have the rest of the population able to pass something on. The ultimate aim is to get your Cov-sip that combats the milder variants - I long for the day that you feel you have a spot of Covid, you pop into Boots for the remedy!

Don’t think that’ll happen as this bugger is infectious before symptoms arrive, which is most atypical.

clint van damme

Yeah, I read somewhere the other day, I think it was a scientist that said it. Brazil poses a significant risk to global health, the way it's going over there.

And I always thought he'd fuck the world up by destroying the Amazonian rain forests

Brighton Sky Blue

He will fingers crossed be gone at election time, he’s basically public enemy number one.

shmmeee

True , however is the risk of death enough below a certain age to even do it every year ? Otherwise this is a forever thing or atleast a foreseeable future thing

Example 40% of flu hospital admissions every year are children under 15 ...they dont however get jabbed every year without an underlying issue

Isn’t that survivorship bias though? We vaccinate the vulnerable for flu as a matter of course so the ones that end up in hospital are those we don’t vaccinate.

We’ve got a vaccination infrastructure already going, the cost is comparatively tiny for the vaccine doses (£2/person) I don’t see an issue.

Brighton Sky Blue

Second doses really gathering pace now, good news is that as we'd stockpiled the second doses they'll crack on right throughout the month. Hopefully Moderna arrives a bit sooner than anticipated.

Evo1883

Is this real ?

Edit ...yes it is bbc reported on it too

Need to get these vaccines done quick before the country explodes

Last edited:

SBT

Played 11-a-side yesterday which was great. Not especially good for my health, but only because I can barely move today.

I don’t know why there’s so much hand-wringing over outdoor exercise which is about as safe as it gets. Indoor stuff and gyms is a different story of course, but there should be very few restrictions on outdoor sport right now, and govt messages like the one above aren’t helpful at all.

chiefdave

It’s organised sport that’s permitted isn’t it? Presumably on the basis that the organisation overseeing it has COVID protocols in place.

Users who are viewing this thread