Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (12 Viewers)

Evo1883

Starmer with his strong opinion of vaccine passports
giphy.gif

Evo1883

So basically end of summer.. however going forward the population will not be able to have an annual vaccine it's simply too expensive, the vulnerable will just like with the flu jabs now .

I still fail to see how we can't start heading back to normal as soon as the vulnerable groups have had their second dose with the number of deaths being so low under 40 and with most over 40s being vaccinated

That however would require sensible border controls too

NorthernWisdom

So basically end of summer.. however going forward the population will not be able to have an annual vaccine it's simply too expensive, the vulnerable will just like with the flu jabs now .

I still fail to see how we can't start heading back to normal even now with the number of deaths being so low under 40 and with most over 40s being vaccinated

That however would require sensible border controls too
Over 40s haven't been vaccinated. Some have had their first, most haven't.

He's not wrong in this, is he.

Chris Whitty said:
What we don't want to be is in a situation where we look back in six months and say 'If we'd only just been a bit more cautious for a month or two we would've actually got through [vaccinating] the whole population, we'd have understood a lot more, we'd know how to deal with this, we'd probably have a few variant vaccines on the stocks'.

Evo1883

Over 40s haven't been vaccinated. Some have had their first, most haven't.

He's not wrong in this, is he.
No I don't really think so , as long as it is us being back to normal once it's happened... and also makes the argument for a vaccine passport seem ridiculous apart from if you are heading abroad

Evo1883

Honestly think if they start pissing us about after the vaccine programme has been completed people's heads will start rolling ..only so much people are prepared to take and I think many are on the edge right now

NorthernWisdom

No I don't really think so , as long as it is us being back to normal once it's happened... and also makes the argument for a vaccine passport seem ridiculous apart from if you are heading abroad
So, we're broadly in agreement then :)

I'm quite happy once everyone's been vaccinated, to give 'normal' a go. FWIW it does seem vaccines are working perfectly well, and it would take something drastic to break them... but they're not 100% of course, and we still have a world to vaccinate, and that means being aware, and being wary, until we get to that stage, however normal normal is. If we'd been a little less cavalier and blase early on, we could have avoided something of the carnage,

It's also, what is normal? Going to a football match? Yeah. Going to the pub? Yeah. Being asked to wear a mask on a packed tube train...?

Evo1883

I'm quite happy once everyone's been vaccinated, to give 'normal' a go. FWIW it does seem vaccines are working perfectly well, and it would take something drastic to break them... but they're not 100% of course, and we still have a world to vaccinate, and that means being aware, and being wary, until we get to that stage, however normal normal is.

It's also, what is normal? Going to a football match? Yeah. Going to the pub? Yeah. Being asked to wear a mask on a packed tube train...?

Just back to normal , if people want to wear masks then so be it

If people don't, equally acceptable

clint van damme

Honestly think if they start pissing us about after the vaccine programme has been completed people's heads will start rolling ..only so much people are prepared to take and I think many are on the edge right now

My sonand his mates have pretty much given up on it all now.
I've had a word with him because the last couple of weeks he's took the piss a bit but at the end of the day they're young lads and lasses whove missed out on a lot and I can see they're just fed up with it now.

The vulnerable among them and around them have been jabbed, as far as they're concerned its pretty much over despite being told that's not the case.

jordan210

Agreed , but let's be honest another massive waste of public money won't be a problem to the conservatives

Hopefully some MP's actually grow a pair and try and stick up for us mere plebs. At the rate its going only civil unrest will sort this mess.

I do find it odd that last year people being called conspiracy idiots for suggesting things like passports, longer lock downs and so on. Have all been proven right.

Dint Test and trace get 20b in the last budget got to keep that gravy train rolling

Brighton Sky Blue

I'm quite happy once everyone's been vaccinated, to give 'normal' a go. FWIW it does seem vaccines are working perfectly well, and it would take something drastic to break them... but they're not 100% of course, and we still have a world to vaccinate, and that means being aware, and being wary, until we get to that stage, however normal normal is. If we'd been a little less cavalier and blase early on, we could have avoided something of the carnage,

Vaccination is far greater protection than making everyone cover half their faces

NorthernWisdom

Vaccination is far greater protection than making everyone cover half their faces
I was asking the question. Personally, I don't know the answer. I'm still baffled why people are so enraged about masks, however.

It's also pretty pointless up until that point having a policy where those who are vulnerable get to wear a mask, when those who aren't don't, of course... but that's another story ;)

Brighton Sky Blue

I was asking the question. Personally, I don't know the answer. I'm still baffled why people are so enraged about masks, however.

It's also pretty pointless up until that point having a policy where those who are vulnerable get to wear a mask, when those who aren't don't, of course... but that's another story ;)

Several parts of it I can’t stand but normalising not being able to see someone’s face is top of the list. Besides the personal feeling of not being able to breathe properly (which I know is not typical for most), not being able to hear people through the mask and so on. Vaccines are the ultimate protection and if you insist on wearing masks when everyone’s been jabbed it kind of defeats the purpose

Evo1883

Several parts of it I can’t stand but normalising not being able to see someone’s face is top of the list. Besides the personal feeling of not being able to breathe properly (which I know is not typical for most), not being able to hear people through the mask and so on. Vaccines are the ultimate protection and if you insist on wearing masks when everyone’s been jabbed it kind of defeats the purpose
I hope to never see a surgical mask again outside of a hospital or Canley where Asian students have been wearing them for years

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I hope to never see a surgical mask again outside of a hospital or Canley where Asian students have been wearing them for years

I'm hoping they stay in some capacity - say if you've got a cold or something and have to travel on public transport or go shopping etc. It's a courtesy to others to try and prevent diseases spreading.

A lot of the Asian thinking isn't just disease like SARS but just the poor air quality. If you looked at the shit that's in the air, esp in urban environments, you'd arguably wonder why people don't wear them.

NorthernWisdom

I'm hoping they stay in some capacity - say if you've got a cold or something and have to travel on public transport or go shopping etc. It's a courtesy to others to try and prevent diseases spreading.

A lot of the Asian thinking isn't just disease like SARS but just the poor air quality. If you looked at the shit that's in the air, esp in urban environments, you'd arguably wonder why people don't wear them.
The only question I have is that exposure to disease is (in a general sense) good for the population's health, in a perverse way wrt immunity etc.

Somewhere there's a balance to be had between I'll do what I like nonsense, and over-tyrannical edicts.

Brighton Sky Blue

Catching diseases is not to be perennially scared of

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The only question I have is that exposure to disease is (in a general sense) good for the population's health, in a perverse way wrt immunity etc.

Somewhere there's a balance to be had between I'll do what I like nonsense, and over-tyrannical edicts.

Of course we don't need a sterile environment but wearing a mask doesn't provide one. Diseases would still spread just not as quickly allowing more time and resources to treat them and potentially slowing down mutations. Not being a biologist I've no idea if this is even the way it works but I have wondered whether or not wearing a mask while infected may be worse for the individual because some of the virus you breath out that would spread into the air gets trapped in the mask and you end up breathing it back in and increasing your own viral load.

CCFCSteve

My sonand his mates have pretty much given up on it all now.
I've had a word with him because the last couple of weeks he's took the piss a bit but at the end of the day they're young lads and lasses whove missed out on a lot and I can see they're just fed up with it now.

The vulnerable among them and around them have been jabbed, as far as they're concerned its pretty much over despite being told that's not the case.

Very hard to knock the kids, they’ve had various elements of their lives disproportionally impacted by a virus that appears to pose a (tiny) limited risk to them.

Will await proposals on vaccine passports before commenting as just loads of rumours at the moment, however, apart from foreign travel I don’t really agree with the idea in principle....and at least have the balls to say vaccines are mandatory if you’re bringing something like that for domestic use.

NorthernWisdom

Very hard to knock the kids, they’ve had various elements of their lives disproportionally impacted by a virus that appears to pose a (tiny) limited risk to them.

Will await proposals on vaccine passports before commenting as just loads of rumours at the moment, however, apart from foreign travel I don’t really agree with the idea in principle....and at least have the balls to say vaccines are mandatory if you’re bringing something like that for domestic use.
You'd assume, once everybody's been given the chance to have a vaccine, that the numbers who will choose not to are small enough to be relatively insignificant, anyway. We're actually getting a fairly good take-up, although I suppose that might dip when it gets to da yoof.

Brighton Sky Blue

You'd assume, once everybody's been given the chance to have a vaccine, that the numbers who will choose not to are small enough to be relatively insignificant, anyway. We're actually getting a fairly good take-up, although I suppose that might dip when it gets to da yoof.

All the kids I teach who have been eligible have taken the jab. Not like every golden oldie has accepted it, just look at London’s data

CCFCSteve

I agree mate and there is going to be far more reticence in the younger age groups which is why I think this vaccine passport things been muted (think I said last week I thought it was a ruse to get the young uns vaccinated)

It’s naughty though, if the government want vaccines to be mandatory, make them mandatory. I think people should be able choose and we’ve got to remember the chances of even the highest risk getting hospitalised (let alone dying) even if they do catch it after being vaccinated, is tiny. Sure I saw AZ was almost 100%

Yes, we’ve got to worry a little about varitants but I honestly think if they’re going to happen they will appear if there is 5,10 or 20% unvaccinated (just got to keep the genomic sequencing going and hopefully spot any nasties, especially from abroad, hence agreement with travel vaccine passport)

chiefdave

Presumably there's a magic number of vaccinations we have to reach for the famed herd immunity to kick in. Do we know what that is? Assume it will be dependent on the effectiveness of vaccines both in terms of stopping hospital admissions and how much transmission drops once vaccinated.

Brighton Sky Blue

Presumably there's a magic number of vaccinations we have to reach for the famed herd immunity to kick in. Do we know what that is? Assume it will be dependent on the effectiveness of vaccines both in terms of stopping hospital admissions and how much transmission drops once vaccinated.

I’ve heard 70% being mooted for that particular figure

CCFCSteve

Keeps changing Dave but presume herd immunity is irrelevant if new variants appear (locally or from abroad)

Ps also, isn’t there a question mark over how long the vaccines last (hence talk about annual boosters) - BSB ?

Evo1883

Keeps changing Dave but presume herd immunity is irrelevant if new variants appear (locally or from abroad)
To be fair the vaccine has been effective against the different variants we have now ..

A severe mutation is the only way It can be a problem against the vaccine surely

Brighton Sky Blue

To be fair the vaccine has been effective against the different variants we have now ..

A severe mutation is the only way It can be problem against the vaccine surely

Even if they are there’s booster shots coming in the autumn/winter which are very easy to make, especially so given this our advances in quick genetic sequencing of new variants. For flu in the past we had to do a bit of guesswork, not now.

Users who are viewing this thread