Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (17 Viewers)

Grendel

You obviously haven't witnessed a match thread.........

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Well that’s true he never has

Grendel

That was my point

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

He will make sure he is for the next game. Probably thinks Dietmar Bruck is Hamer bless him.

tisza

Sounds like France going back into a hard lockdown after months of trying to avoid it. Just incredible what's happening in Europe right now compared to here.
We have been in lockdown for months.
8pm curfew, compulsory masks in public areas etc but still in the middle of this 3rd wave which has resulted in Hungary now having 4th worst deaths per million in the world. Sadly number of cases per million aren't terrible but if you get it the survival rate is poor.
Way ahead of other EU countries in vaccines but mainly through using Russian & Chinese vaccines. How effective they are is yet to be seen.
Numbers do seem to have risen with the coming of nice weather in the spring and people being out more. UK variant very aggressively spreading.
Also there is a lockdown fatigue - my neighbours for example been religiously following the rules for over a year then decide to change their heating system. Delivery man had COVID so now they do.

skybluetony176

Report out today says 1 in 5 don’t isolate when they present symptoms and only 50% of people know what the symptoms are. Really! Where have these people been living the last 12 months. Couple that with Tory incompetence and no wonder we have one one of the highest death rates in the world and the highest death tolls in Europe.

David O'Day

Report out today says 1 in 5 don’t isolate when they present symptoms and only 50% of people know what the symptoms are. Really! Where have these people been living the last 12 months. Couple that with Tory incompetence and no wonder we have one one of the highest death rates in the world and the highest death tolls in Europe.

As they said on the BBC we just don't support people who need to isolate enough.

wingy

Is according to the express Chris Whitty's assertion that there is likely to be 30k more death's possibly after the autumn in anyway accurate ?

wingy

Something like only 43% isolate for the full duration.

shmmeee

Is according to the express Chris Whitty's assertion that there is likely to be 30k more death's possibly after the autumn in anyway accurate ?

Not sure. 32,000,000 in Groups 1-9 where most of the deaths are. Vaccine is say 90% effective at reducing deaths, current mortality is what? 1% in that group, so would have been 320,000 divide by ten for vaccine effect is 32,000. I’d argue the mortality rate is probably lower and the vaccine protection from death higher, but i could see the argument. That’s without any variants changing the numbers and with everyone getting exposed to COVID at some point.

wingy

Not sure. 32,000,000 in Groups 1-9 where most of the deaths are. Vaccine is say 90% effective at reducing deaths, current mortality is what? 1% in that group, so would have been 320,000 divide by ten for vaccine effect is 32,000. I’d argue the mortality rate is probably lower and the vaccine protection from death higher, but i could see the argument. That’s without any variants changing the numbers and with everyone getting exposed to COVID at some point.
Does this take into account in anyway the likely cut to transmission, even if it were as low as 50% although could be much higher ?
I know You're good with this stuff ,is there anything out on twitter etc showing the effect at this point of vaccination on transmission against say lockdown?

shmmeee

Does this take into account in anyway the likely cut to transmission, even if it were as low as 50% although could be much higher ?
I know You're good with this stuff ,is there anything out on twitter etc showing the effect at this point of vaccination on transmission against say lockdown?

Yeah that’s very much worst case scenario, with everyone getting it and nothing improving and our worst case guesses at the unknowns.

Evidence is very much pointing in the other direction. Vaccine seems to cut transmission and massively reduce deaths and no variants seem to be resistant so far. Also hospitals will be better prepared and more people vaccinated means it’s unlikely every single person will get infected.

NorthernWisdom

Yeah that’s very much worst case scenario, with everyone getting it and nothing improving and our worst case guesses at the unknowns.

Evidence is very much pointing in the other direction. Vaccine seems to cut transmission and massively reduce deaths and no variants seem to be resistant so far. Also hospitals will be better prepared and more people vaccinated means it’s unlikely every single person will get infected.
Vaccine currently really does look like it could be the magic bullet, whatever warnings they're giving not to think that. Main questions would be around how long it'd last, and how quickly the world could be vaccinated really.

skybluetony176

I think I read somewhere that in Israel it’s reducing transmissions by 90%. Presumably in vaccinated demographics not the population as a whole.

wingy

I think I read somewhere that in Israel it’s reducing transmissions by 90%. Presumably in vaccinated demographics not the population as a whole.
So without being thick can we assume if the relative data was applied to Mr Whitty's @ estimation it may be significantly lower ?

skybluetony176

So without being thick can we assume if the relative data was applied to Mr Whitty's @ estimation it may be significantly lower ?
Couldn’t tell you. I’m thick. It does sound pessimistic to me though when you look at the studies coming out of Israel.

Evo1883

Whitty saying no more lockdowns we have to deal with the virus like the flu and accept a certain amount of deaths will happen.

So ...no vaccine passport needed then .

Travel abroad sure , grab your lurgy free QR code .

clint van damme

Whitty saying no more lockdowns we have to deal with the virus like the flu and accept a certain amount of deaths will happen.

So ...no vaccine passport needed then .

Holiday abroad sure , grab your lurgy free QR code .

Just because something isn't needed doesn't mean this government won't hand a multi billion pound contract to their mates for it.

Users who are viewing this thread