Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (28 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

This is what concerns me. As bad as the government has been recently every time they post on social media there's hundreds, if not thousands, of people agreeing with them and they aren't all bots!

They’re now trying to turn this on Starmer for not keeping Rayner in check for using naughty words or to go on about ‘middle class elites’ without spotting the contradiction. They’ve gone full Eric Pickles

skybluetony176

Bradley is living proof that even if youre thick as fuck if you're ambitious, a bare faced liar, no principles and have inhumane cruelty running through your veins you can get on as a Tory MP
He’s being doing the rounds on TV this morning and it’s been an absolute car crash. He’d have been better of just deleting the series of tweets and issuing an apology by way of a statement. When you’re in a hole stop digging.

David O'Day

He’s being doing the rounds on TV this morning and it’s been an absolute car crash. He’d have been better of just deleting the series of tweets and issuing an apology by way of a statement. When you’re in a hole stop digging.

so many clips of him being owned by journalists

I like when he was questioned about the school governor saying he was lying about what the head of teh school he mentioned to rashford thought

gold

Sky Blue Pete

I hope #benbradleyisscum is trending on Twitter

What I don’t get is he is scum and delights in being scummy but then takes offence at being called what he is.

How can it not be scum to say to poor kids without food that they should take some responsibility for their parents actions and we are not going to help in the way that those closest to them say will work?

Eat that humble pie tosser

Brighton Sky Blue

I hope #benbradleyisscum is trending on Twitter

What I don’t get is he is scum and delights in being scummy but then takes offence at being called what he is.

How can it not be scum to say to poor kids without food that they should take some responsibility for their parents actions and we are not going to help in the way that those closest to them say will work?

Eat that humble pie tosser

It should be ‘unparliamentary’ to tell blatant lies rather than to be called a liar for telling them

Sky Blue Pete

It should be ‘unparliamentary’ to tell blatant lies rather than to be called a liar for telling them
To be fair I’m happy he’s not personally scum but his words were absolute scum. It’s not that we shouldn’t be asking for personal responsibility but this issue is about supporting the kids

Sky Blue Pete

Done some more reading now I don’t get the argument at all. We aren’t going to help in this specific way cause we’ve helped in general ways even though professionals are telling us this would make the most difference

And 40% of our country will say yep. If they couldn’t afford kids they shouldn’t have had them

We are as polarised as I remember is being

Brighton Sky Blue

Done some more reading now I don’t get the argument at all. We aren’t going to help in this specific way cause we’ve helped in general ways even though professionals are telling us this would make the most difference

And 40% of our country will say yep. If they couldn’t afford kids they shouldn’t have had them

Imagine telling Johnson ‘pull yourself up by the bootstraps and cure it yourself’ after he got Covid

David O'Day

i'm not sure, there is a lot of anger in a lot of very tory places

chiefdave

because people like Cummings etc are actually shit at politics outside of their culture war bubble
I know Cummings is generally considered to be in charge but does he really have this much power? Is there nobody high up in the party that could say we're getting hammered on everything, this is an easy win for relatively little money?

chiefdave

Great idea at Morrisons. Although as with everything like this shouldn't overshadow the fact this shouldn't be needed.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

low energy was not something anyone mentioned on the doorstep

So what was different that the people who voted for him two years earlier wouldn't vote for him then?

Other than Brexit policy (which was almost certainly the biggest factor and would've seen them vote that way regardless of the person at the helm) what else had changed?

I reckon it was people had got familiar with him, just like they do everytime. Clegg was a 'breath of fresh air' then people quickly went off him. Same would happen to Starmer. Once the 'new' veneer wears off they'd have the same complaints, as they would with any of the other candidates for the leadership.

skybluetony176

Great idea at Morrisons. Although as with everything like this shouldn't overshadow the fact this shouldn't be needed.

Problem is I know someone who works at a Tesco’s DC and she says that the amount of food that they throw away is disgusting and a large percentage of it is still usable and could easily go to food banks. I dare say it’s the same at any supermarkets DC. Then you get all these people going to skips outside of supermarkets retrieving edible food from their skips. Before they start charging the general population for donations to food banks perhaps they could start looking at their own waste and with food banks on this. I appreciate that they do a lot of this anyway but there’s enough evidence around to suggest that they could be doing more.

Sky Blue Pete

whats the general opinion of families been given food vouchers rather than some benefits
I’m willing to hear from heads and social workers and adults that experience it but from what I’ve read the best way to ensure kids don’t go hungry in the holidays is to continue with the vouchers

chiefdave

Problem is I know someone who works at a Tesco’s DC and she says that the amount of food that they throw away is disgusting and a large percentage of it is still usable and could easily go to food banks. I dare say it’s the same at any supermarkets DC. Then you get all these people going to skips outside of supermarkets retrieving edible food from their skips. Before they start charging the general population for donations to food banks perhaps they could start looking at their own waste and with food banks on this. I appreciate that they do a lot of this anyway but there’s enough evidence around to suggest that they could be doing more.
You would think they'd look at something like the below, from 4 years ago, and implement similar here. Again something that seems an easy win that would require minimal effort.
France has become the first country in the world to ban supermarkets from throwing away or destroying unsold food, forcing them instead to donate it to charities and food banks.

Under a law passed unanimously by the French senate, as of Wednesday large shops will no longer bin good quality food approaching its best-before date. Charities will be able to give out millions more free meals each year to people struggling to afford to eat.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

You'd think there'd be a way to have trucks to take away the unused food to distribute or to homeless shelters etc. or even just attach a food bank to the distribution centre (logistically might not be very useful for those needing the packages). Would sav them money in having to have all the waste removed and destroyed. Less going in incinerators or landfill.

Surely it can't be that difficult to arrange a way for this food to not be wasted. There's a massive PR gain to be had from setting this up.

Users who are viewing this thread