Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (36 Viewers)

jimmyhillsfanclub

Corbyn not having any balls was the problem....the very definition of lacking courage of his own conviction.....and advised not to upset the London centric beardy metrosexual hipsters.....fucking coward.

skybluetony176

rashfords twitter feed is very life affirming today
Definitely a in this together attitude from local communities. Unlike the Tories who apparently didn’t vote for it because they’re just so sensitive that when one of them gets called scum the only course of action is to vote for children not to get free school meals over the holidays.

Bugsy

shmmeee

Definitely a in this together attitude from local communities. Unlike the Tories who apparently didn’t vote for it because they’re just so sensitive that when one of them gets called scum the only course of action is to vote for children not to get free school meals over the holidays.

I find I get called scum a lot less when I don’t deny kids food at Christmas. They should give it a go.

NorthernWisdom

Funny they were fine voting for him in 2017
He did a far better campaign then. Was energetic, optimistic, enthusiastic. Beginning of this election you'd have had hopes he could do the same, but he looked tired, apathetic, a bit hectoring... muddled the policy and added a couple of extreme ones popped up as Tories were promising the world.

The 2017 Corbyn would have done better than the 2019 one. The 2017 one turned people around who weren't sure about him, the 2019 one did nothing of that.

shmmeee

Funny they were fine voting for him in 2017

TBF when you dig in Brexit is mentioned by a large minority of people, but doesn’t really back up the “we were too remain” argument, more the opposite:

A2F5330D-6652-4B48-A815-5A6663D248D5.jpeg

FWIW I think we’d already lost Brexit voters before 2017 with general hyper liberalism and anti British feeling. 2017 was mostly Remain voters. Weakness on that and general disappointment with Corbyn were our main problems in 2019.

For the record I didn’t like Labour’s position on Brexit and I wouldn’t want them to peruse a Remain voter strategy generally. Just that I disagree with the dynamics at play in 2017 & 2019.

wingy

I think the argument could have been made to remain .
They never did.
Just as Boris swung it the other way because of the hiatus there was a window to do the opposite , they didn't take it .
I realise this might make me sound like a fascist but I say f***it and it's my opinion ,I base it on material + ideals of closer union to the continent ,not reatreating and retracting

He was a leave protagonist
but there you go.

Brighton Sky Blue

TBF when you dig in Brexit is mentioned by a large minority of people, but doesn’t really back up the “we were too remain” argument, more the opposite:

View attachment 17296

FWIW I think we’d already lost Brexit voters before 2017 with general hyper liberalism and anti British feeling. 2017 was mostly Remain voters. Weakness on that and general disappointment with Corbyn were our main problems in 2019.

For the record I didn’t like Labour’s position on Brexit and I wouldn’t want them to peruse a Remain voter strategy generally. Just that I disagree with the dynamics at play in 2017 & 2019.

I was generally very disappointed with Corbyn too. It still didn’t drive me to vote for the charlatan heading a party that had been crap for a decade. Starmer explicitly said he didn’t want to ‘blame’ 2019 voters or call anyone stupid because actually he’d be right to do so.

Neither party deserved to win

NorthernWisdom

They never did.
Just as Boris swung it the other way because of the hiatus there was a window to do the opposite , they didn't take it .
I realise this might make me sound like a fascist but I say f***it and it's my opinion ,I base it on material + ideals of closer union to the continent ,not reatreating and retracting

but there you go.
He got the same issue Johnson has now. A personal belief at odds with his party's belief. If Johnson has any sense (and political survival-wise... he does!) he'd look at that, and see how committing to a position would play better for him than fudging it.

Ian1779

They never did.

but there you go.

I always felt that the Remain contingent expected the Leave contingent to do all the moving in a negotiation, ignoring the fact that they lost.

Ian1779

View attachment 17296

I think this is a much more accurate portrayal.
The second highest category could also be easily linked to Labour’s dithering of Brexit position.
Maybe his lack of energy/lethargy came from having to run with a policy that he didn’t believe in - that said he did allow the members of party to dictate that position, and should have known that party membership does not reflect voting demographics, especially in Northern leave constituencies.

fernandopartridge

The second highest category could also be easily linked to Labour’s dithering of Brexit position.
Maybe his lack of energy/lethargy came from having to run with a policy that he didn’t believe in - that said he did allow the members of party to dictate that position, and should have known that party membership does not reflect voting demographics, especially in Northern leave constituencies.

The problem with that survey is that it doesn't show where individuals have mentioned multiple reasons.

Also, the other thing is that (and it's seen on the EU thread here) most people misrepresented his position on Brexit depending who they were. Leavers think he's an ardent Remainer and Remainers think he's an ardent Leaver.

Let's be honest, the constant media campaign against him (from the 'sensible' left and all the ring wing press) is unprecedented. 2017 frightened the life of the media so they set out to do everything they can to discredit Corbyn, aided and abetted by the centrist arseholes in Labour.

David O'Day

as someone who doorstepped in 2019 there is nothing wrong with that survey

Starmer was much more popular than Corbyn even then and many people said they'd vote for labour if he was leader

NorthernWisdom

2017 frightened the life of the media so they set out to do everything they can to discredit Corbyn, aided and abetted by the centrist arseholes in Labour.
He didn't help himself, though. 2017 he turned it around through a campaigning energy. That just wasn't there in 2019.

I dunno, maybe the time of year for the election didn't help either (less easy to hold a big rally in the dark wet and cold!) but there was definitely something missing from two years earlier.

And as for the Brexit position, that may have been muddled, but it also wasn't explained well on the campaign. Labour's Brexit position still offered the opportunity for us to leave, after all! He should have also been more open, I feel, to a more unified campaign with the Liberals. Could have helped them both, that - note the effect Brexit Party had by playing the numbers, rather than just a sweeping campaign in general. That helped to artificially enlarge a lead, and make it a one-issue vote.

Brighton Sky Blue

He didn't help himself, though. 2017 he turned it around through a campaigning energy. That just wasn't there in 2019.

I dunno, maybe the time of year for the election didn't help either (less easy to hold a big rally in the dark wet and cold!) but there was definitely something missing from two years earlier.

And as for the Brexit position, that may have been muddled, but it also wasn't explained well on the campaign. Labour's Brexit position still offered the opportunity for us to leave, after all! He should have also been more open, I feel, to a more unified campaign with the Liberals. Could have helped them both, that - note the effect Brexit Party had by playing the numbers, rather than just a sweeping campaign in general. That helped to artificially enlarge a lead, and make it a one-issue vote.

Coventry only kept 3 Labour MPs thanks to Nigel Farage. Crazy really

Brighton Sky Blue

Not that simple, I know plenty of people who voted Brexit Party but would never vote Tory. It's a fallacy to say that if the were no BXP candidates those people who have directly voted tory.

I imagine more would have voted Tory than Labour in the absence of BXP and since the majorities in Cov were wafer thin it wouldn’t have taken much at all

shmmeee

The case was there to make that a soft Brexit was best for all sides and for national unity. However I think by that time he’s become such a punchline that he personally didn’t have the gravitas to make that case. And we probably would’ve been caught between revoke and “proper Brexit” anyway. As Starmer is finding Brexit handed 40% to the Tories that literally won’t stop voting for them even if they start starving kids and blatantly stuffing their mates pockets full of cash while running a strategy seemingly designed to kill off their very demographic.

I was watching an Ian Dunt interview the other day and a good question was raised about Remains lack of a Farage type figure who fires up the base and keeps the major party in check and the best he could come up with was the Lib Dems. I think that says it all.

Users who are viewing this thread