Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (13 Viewers)

PVA

On the flip side. members on the thread have shot down any information that doesn't suite them. So isn't being arseholes.

If they are worried fine. Come out and say it. But trying to disprove things or snide remarks would assume they are just pushing there own narrative.

I don't know if that's aimed at me but pointing out that information is wrong is not shooting it down to suite a narrative, nor does it make me a lockdown lover.

You can't say 'the data shows xyz' when the data actually shows zyx.

That's not being negative, it's just pointing out facts 👍🏻

jordan210

I don't know if that's aimed at me but pointing out that information is wrong is not shooting it down to suite a narrative, nor does it make me a lockdown lover.

See above. Your later posts have been good as you come back with relevant info.

Reactions: PVA

SBAndy

Don’t know whether I’m captured under this, but I just feel like you’ve read a headline figure and are trying to base everything on that, rather than actually looking deeper into the data. Not being negative for the sake of it, just pointing out that it doesn’t fit your argument. For what it’s worth, I do feel like we’re almost at the point of having absolutely no reason to reopen but given the surge in infection it makes sense to be doubly sure that protection holds up.

The point on mental health is that we’ve heard plenty about the impact on MH of lockdown measures, continued restrictions, etc (see “suicides will peak again” type comments) but very little about those who feel there is still a threat out there. My dad, for example, is asthmatic and took things very seriously when it was mentioned that asthma sufferers were at greater risk. Then there’s no priority on vaccination and he - and I’m sure others - really felt that.

Edit: I should, of course, have said “having absolutely no reason NOT to reopen”. Makes me sound dangerously like a ‘lockdown lover’ otherwise! ;)

Brighton Sky Blue

I hate to be a pedant but technically xyz=zyx

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

One of the biggest things bugging me with all this - those wanting measures lifted seem to be quite content in calling out people who would rather be cautious, instead of the incompetent government whose actions have led us to this point once again!

But enough of that, eh?

The government are so corrupt it is unbelievable. The whole travel and testing process is testament to that. I agree that they should be held to account.

The concept of mental health is a big one. There are those that would happily go round licking shopping trollies, but there are also many who would prefer to have everybody sheltering because they are too nervous themselves.

Really at this stage, if the vaccine works, that should trump everything else for the most part.

shmmeee

The government are so corrupt it is unbelievable. The whole travel and testing process is testament to that. I agree that they should be held to account.

The concept of mental health is a big one. There are those that would happily go round licking shopping trollies, but there are also many who would prefer to have everybody sheltering because they are too nervous themselves.

Really at this stage, if the vaccine works, that should trump everything else for the most part.

The vaccine does work. Two weeks after the second dose. Which about 40% of the adult population currently have.

SBAndy

In your view, what would be worse for a) the economy, and b) general mental health?

1. 4 week delay to fully reopening with current level restrictions remaining in place until 19th July.
2. Full reopening taking place on Monday but with the very real risk that within 4 weeks we may have to reverse this.

Could even argue I’ve been optimistic there with the fact that measures could, in theory, be brought back in with the worsening position but I don’t realistically see that happening. Genuine question as well, eager to learn of your thoughts.

Brighton Sky Blue

In your view, what would be worse for a) the economy, and b) general mental health?

1. 4 week delay to fully reopening with current level restrictions remaining in place until 19th July.
2. Full reopening taking place on Monday but with the very real risk that within 4 weeks we may have to reverse this.

Could even argue I’ve been optimistic there with the fact that measures could, in theory, be brought back in with the worsening position but I don’t realistically see that happening. Genuine question as well, eager to learn of your thoughts.

When asked directly the PM swerved a question that was basically about vaccine passports and negative testing as a means of letting more gatherings take place. I do think the pilots that have been done so far on this have shown that this is how you can allow organised events unrestricted but minimising transmission risk.

It's just a shame that we keep holding 'pilot' events where the mixing allowed seems unlimited, but aren't extending this to fully reopen certain sectors.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Oh, option 1 without question.

I think the thing is that if it is genuinely a 4 week delay which is like the extra of extra time, I don't think it is a problem. I just think the level of trust in the government is so low at the moment (CON +10 jokes aside) that the belief it will actually be lifted by the 19th is a little bit skeptical.

Hopefully 19th will be the end of it and it's all redundant anyway!

SBAndy

Oh, option 1 without question.

I think the thing is that if it is genuinely a 4 week delay which is like the extra of extra time, I don't think it is a problem. I just think the level of trust in the government is so low at the moment (CON +10 jokes aside) that the belief it will actually be lifted by the 19th is a little bit skeptical.

Hopefully 19th will be the end of it and it's all redundant anyway!

That’s fair and I get the cynicism around whether 19th July will be held to given previous comments.

Great. Blowjobs all round then!

Can’t imagine it’s too pleasant with a mask on.

Brighton Sky Blue

Telling people lockdown will extend for 4 weeks and then reviewing the data and reducing it to two, rather than telling everyone months in advance a date that we will all be back to normal.

I assume.

Ah right, yeah. Though in their rare defence they never promised the 21st as an absolute date.

hill83

Still annoying though. What if you work in a nightclub and booked a wank in for three weeks time only to find out you will be back in work now instead. Heartbreaking.

Brighton Sky Blue

Still annoying though. What if you work in a nightclub and booked a wank in for three weeks time only to find out you will be back in work now instead. Heartbreaking.

I’m sure the Kasbah burger man doesn’t mind keeping those frozen stacks on ice for a bit longer.

Nick

Administrator

Just have one in the bogs at work.

If a man's got plans a man's got plans.

CCFCSteve

When asked directly the PM swerved a question that was basically about vaccine passports and negative testing as a means of letting more gatherings take place. I do think the pilots that have been done so far on this have shown that this is how you can allow organised events unrestricted but minimising transmission risk.

It's just a shame that we keep holding 'pilot' events where the mixing allowed seems unlimited, but aren't extending this to fully reopen certain sectors.

These pilots should’ve been going on since mid/late last year across a range of social situations. I’d personally much rather have real life data than relying on broad brush modelling to decide on restrictions and/or release of restrictions

That said, I’m not totally convinced by some of the pilots currently being rolled out either ie got to be negative before going in, some pilots held during low transmission periods...if that’s the case how much spreading can physically happen ?!

The Liverpool raves showed those big events are fine....however they were held when there was hardly any Covid around and negative tests before going in so what does it really show ?! Basically fuck all otherwise the scientists and government would’ve allowed clubs to reopen.

Another issue is the fact the lateral flow
results are currently self submitted. There needs to be a photo option so as well as scanning QR you have pic of negative result. Time consuming to check at events but more reliable ! (and could just spot check)

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

These pilots should’ve been going on since mid/late last year across a range of social situations. I’d personally much rather have real life data than relying on broad brush modelling to decide on restrictions and/or release of restrictions

That said, I’m not totally convinced by some of the pilots currently being rolled out either ie got to be negative before going in, some pilots held during low transmission periods...if that’s the case how much spreading can physically happen ?!

The Liverpool raves showed those big events are fine....however they were held when there was hardly any Covid around and negative tests before going in so what does it really show ?! Basically fuck all otherwise the scientists and government would’ve allowed clubs to reopen.

Another issue is the fact the lateral flow
results are currently self submitted. There needs to be a photo option so as well as scanning QR you have pic of negative result. Time consuming to check at events but more reliable ! (and could just spot check)

They have been, but the principle behind them is the same during low or high transmission periods ie if nobody there actually has the virus there is no risk. The LFTs do already have QR codes on them too. My query was also to do with smaller organised gatherings, perhaps up to 100 people for the benefit of sectors that desperately need the income.

CCFCSteve

They have been, but the principle behind them is the same during low or high transmission periods ie if nobody there actually has the virus there is no risk. The LFTs do already have QR codes on them too. My query was also to do with smaller organised gatherings, perhaps up to 100 people for the benefit of sectors that desperately need the income.

Yeah, the LTFs have QR codes but you input the result manually (so people could lie). There should be a photo option so people prove it’s a negative test, if requested

Agree about pilot tests for various other social settings (bars, restaurants etc operating normally rather than tables), it’s the only way we can find out where transmission is greatest. Submit a request to Hancock for wedding to be one mate😉

SBT

They have been, but the principle behind them is the same during low or high transmission periods ie if nobody there actually has the virus there is no risk.

In principle, sure, the lateral flow tests prevent anyone with COVID from attending. What happens in practice?

Cases have almost trebled since the Liverpool warehouse rave on April 30 - you'd have to put a lot more faith in the lateral flow tests to assume that no-one inside would have COVID now.

Brighton Sky Blue

Yeah, the LTFs have QR codes but you input the result manually (so people could lie). There should be a photo option so people prove it’s a negative test, if requested

Agree about pilot tests for various other social settings (bars, restaurants etc operating normally rather than tables), it’s the only way we can find out where transmission is greatest. Submit a request to Hancock for wedding to be one mate😉

We were quite luckily able to shift all of it across to the following weekend and in a room that can hold everyone even if Boris delays it again. All our suppliers were still available so we have been very fortunate. That said I know many many more who cancelled or postponed to next year because of the refusal to consider accepting fully vaccinated and negatively tested guests.

The relaxation actually meant we would have been allowed even fewer on our intended date!

Brighton Sky Blue

In principle, sure, the lateral flow tests prevent anyone with COVID from attending. What happens in practice?

Cases have almost trebled since the Liverpool warehouse rave on April 30 - you'd have to put a lot more faith in the lateral flow tests to assume that no-one inside would have COVID now.

The number traced to the rave was very low I thought?

Users who are viewing this thread