Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (35 Viewers)

clint van damme

Bigger current issue, for time being at least anyway (diplomatic and vaccine related) is DODs article above about EU threatening to block vaccine supplies to other countries

That's not true either according to the BBC this morning.
The EU asked pharmaceutical companies to keep them informed of what they're exporting where and Zahawi also seemed to play it down (though I am aware of the pitfalls of believing what a government minister has to say).

David O'Day

Whitty rubbished that report in the guardian/Israel report about Pfizer (hope he’s right !)

Which is why Whitty needs to show the science behind his claims.

At the moment you have an actual study that shows a decrease in over 65s and you have his claims that he isn't backing up with science.

If he is right he should publish the data

hill83

Bigger current issue, for time being at least anyway (diplomatic and vaccine related) is DODs article above about EU threatening to block vaccine supplies to other countries

Definitely, I can't be arsed to get into that until more information comes out though.

CCFCSteve

The EU asked pharmaceutical companies to keep them informed of what they're exporting where and Zahawi also seemed to play it down (though I am aware of the pitfalls of believing what a government minister has to say).

Yeah, depends which report you read I guess. I was going from that Politico article I attached.

ps EUs behaviour pretty poor on this. They haven’t even signed off on AZ vaccine yet don’t appear to be happy for supplies to be going to countries who have signed it off. Think their main current vaccine is Pfizer’s, so current slow roll out nothing to do with AZ. They only finalised purchased for doses of that in November as well

David O'Day

That is part of my articles, they are demanding the full amount they ordered and are prepared to take it all the way to actually blocking exports.

It is not as the BBC stated they are going to block exports but they will is AZ keep trying to short change them by about 50m doses

It does seem AZ sold more than they could produce.

CCFCSteve

At the moment you have an actual study that shows a decrease in over 65s and you have his claims that he isn't backing up with science.

Can’t disagree. Israel report wasnt full data yet either though, presume that’s where annoyance came from

clint van damme

Not data as such but this article goes into it a bit

Brighton Sky Blue

So why have cases there dropped off as the vaccination program kicks in in your opinion?

I would suppose because the vaccine has been effective in preventing those receiving it getting ill/symptomatic. FYI I am not claiming it won’t reduce transmission, I strongly think it will but I haven’t seen specific studies on it

David O'Day

Not data as such but this article goes into it a bit

yeah and that doesn't deny it which is why need the actual data to say it isn't correct as one one side you have a study of 200k saying it may only reduce cases by 33% instead of 50 something % and on the other no data.

David O'Day

I would suppose because the vaccine has been effective in preventing those receiving it getting ill/symptomatic. FYI I am not claiming it won’t reduce transmission, I strongly think it will but I haven’t seen specific studies on it

Yeah you would maybe get a lot more a symptomatic cases amongst those who have bene vaccinated which is what you see with other vaccines.

CCFCSteve

That is part of my articles, they are demanding the full amount they ordered and are prepared to take it all the way to actually blocking exports.

It is not as the BBC stated they are going to block exports but they will is AZ keep trying to short change them by about 50m doses

It’s the timing of production and delivery though DOD. We signed off on 30 Dec, then it took two weeks to ramp up U.K. production. EU still haven’t signed off yet expect first quarter production to be as initially advised (same as the nosies we were making about our supply immediately after sign off). Pfizer having same challenges.

Brighton Sky Blue

Yeah you would maybe get a lot more a symptomatic cases amongst those who have bene vaccinated which is what you see with other vaccines.

The Oxford studies early on showed it didn’t actually prevent infection as such, it just made the lab rats asymptomatic for the most part. Doesn’t help that efficacy seems to be defined differently according to whoever is talking

Otis

Yes please, i suspect there will come a time this Spring when things begin to open up and travel is permitted, we run a pub for a living so not envisaging being able to open for at least a couple of months afterwards.
Hopefully should be left with a window of opportunity to take a break of some kind,
DM me too please, Pete.

Thank you

😎✌️🤝

tisza

Shocker. Companies inflating their capabilities when doing deals with national Govts. Pfizer ,AZ both way down on the production numbers they sold Govts when they were taking the money last year.

Grendel

Starmer isolating for a third time.

politicians seem to have this app ping more than anyone

ajsccfc

The early days of coronavirus we were told by people born long afterwards that the bulldog spirit that saw us through two world wars would get us through which I thought was ridiculous, but now the Germans are giving it loads I may have got it wrong.

jordan210

Whats the bet someone leaked some data to a newspaper. Who has miss understood the data.

Doesn't look good for the EU with there current strategy of blame everyone else for slow roll out of vaccine.

Saddlebrains

I'm concerned by the government's stance also.

This vaccine was the best thing the worlds ever seen, and now a massive downplay seems to be happening from Hancock, Boris, Patel etc.

And its not like the tories to downplay things is it?

Brylowes

Whats the bet someone leaked some data to a newspaper. Who has miss understood the data.

Doesn't look good for the EU with there current strategy of blame everyone else for slow roll out of vaccine.
That blame everyone else strategy 🤔 maybe they did take something away from all those Brexit negotiations with Boris.

NorthernWisdom

The published data is there for anyone to read, I don’t for a moment believe it is single figure efficacy
As you've mentioned, if it works in reducing the symptoms, that would do for the moment, and buy time to come up with some proper anti-viral over-the-counter stuff, anyway.

Does emphasise we all need to get vaccinated, mind you. Well, all who want it... the nutters can do what they feel like once everyone who wants a vaccine, has had one!

CCFCSteve

I'm concerned by the government's stance also.

This vaccine was the best thing the worlds ever seen, and now a massive downplay seems to be happening from Hancock, Boris, Patel etc.

And its not like the tories to downplay things is it?

BSB is right, need to get the jabs done and stay calm. The government need everyone to stick to the rules for probably another couple of months...if they come out and start shouting everything’s great ‘we’ve beaten Covid’, I think we know what would happen (a chunk of the public will start ignoring rules and an element of Tory party will want everything reopened immediately)

Also who knows with new variants, delays to supplies etc. All they can do is try to roll out the vaccines as quickly as possible, try to keep public ‘buy in’ during this time and to some extent, hope for the best

fernandopartridge

I'm going to go with this for now:

“No idea where their number comes from. I know 8 percent is the percentage of people over 65 in the study, but not the efficacy. Not sure if the reporter got mixed up. MHRA would not approve a vaccine with 8 percent efficacy.”

Plus I don't know anything about German newspapers and which ones talk bollocks and which ones don't.

Peter, what's the German for 8 percent?

1611655078632.png

Brighton Sky Blue

As you've mentioned, if it works in reducing the symptoms, that would do for the moment, and buy time to come up with some proper anti-viral over-the-counter stuff, anyway.

Does emphasise we all need to get vaccinated, mind you. Well, all who want it... the nutters can do what they feel like once everyone who wants a vaccine, has had one!

Absolutely, I will get it as soon as it’s offered especially if they push teachers up the queue.

Users who are viewing this thread