Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (10 Viewers)

wingy

I used to be able to book online and then last year the option disappeared. Dunno if they were having problems with it or it was being misused but I found it worked brilliantly and I'm gutted the option is gone.
Not user friendly for the elderly I'd think.
Probably their main customers?

clint van damme

What's worrying? The data or the Scottish nationalist attitudes towards the data in the comments ? They sound like tories down here

The parts about efficacy. Explains why Israel saw that rise in hospitalisations earlier in the year.
To compound it there was areport on the radio this morning saying the booster program isn't going too well.

wingy

The parts about efficacy. Explains why Israel saw that rise in hospitalisations earlier in the year.
To compound it there was areport on the radio this morning saying the booster program isn't going too well.
Yes there was also a concern that Isreal went too early with their booster programme.
While at home I find the opinion of the Oxford professor who developed it,along with the boss of AZ slightly at odds to Govt policy.

chiefdave

This is an interesting, and slightly worrying, thread.

Had just seen this on twitter and was about to post it. Its odd to me that in general people don't seem concerned that our numbers are higher than elsewhere yet we have zero mitigations in place. Does nobody think there's a connection between the two things?

Was a thread on a hockey forum I'm on recently about attending games this season and it was only in England that people were saying nothing had changed since pre-covid. Everyone else commenting about attending arenas around Europe and in North America was speaking of needing proof of vaccination and masks but here there's no attempt at all to stop the spread.

Brighton Sky Blue

Had just seen this on twitter and was about to post it. Its odd to me that in general people don't seem concerned that our numbers are higher than elsewhere yet we have zero mitigations in place. Does nobody think there's a connection between the two things?

Was a thread on a hockey forum I'm on recently about attending games this season and it was only in England that people were saying nothing had changed since pre-covid. Everyone else commenting about attending arenas around Europe and in North America was speaking of needing proof of vaccination and masks but here there's no attempt at all to stop the spread.

We might possibly be testing what the ‘acceptable’ death rate is.

Grendel

how many are in hospital about 8,000?

Grendel

So 7,088 in hospital on Oct 14

France has more as one example doesn’t it?

wingy

Not sure on that but we're roughly running ten time's the amount of infection in Italy,Spain, possibly Sweden .
That's just on measured results not ONS data which is significantly higher .
Just feel it actually could be better than it is so the NHS and it's staff can get on with regular stuff after nearly two years of full on pressure.

Grendel

Not sure on that but we're roughly running ten time's the amount of infection in Italy,Spain, possibly Sweden .
That's just on measured results not ONS data which is significantly higher .
Just feel it actually could be better than it is so the NHS and it's staff can get on with regular stuff after nearly two years of full on pressure.

Infections do seem amongst the young mostly

CCFCSteve

Rightly or wrongly, I’d imagine there’s an element of accepting the wider circulation of the virus over late summer/autumn rather than winter. There feels like an acceptance now that everyone is going to get it at some stage

You’d hope that the scientists/gov/nhs are keeping a close eye on what’s happening with infection rates in certain age/risk groups, hospitalisations etc (sure they are).

I also think a lot of the U.K. public are just getting on with getting life back to normal. Again, I’m not saying this is right or wrong, only time will tell I guess.

CCFCSteve

Even I would struggle to believe even this PM would be that stupid, so I won't jump yet...

Looks like they were careful with the statement wording. Probably happened but they say they followed rules (certainly if the individual lived on their own I think they could’ve joined bubble although even if they didn’t live alone I thought it was possible for xmas day ?!…there been lots of rule changes and a fair few months since so can’t really remember !!!)

Ps I spent Christmas Day with a couple of mates so would find it difficult to judge anyway 😊

Grendel

shmmeee

Rightly or wrongly, I’d imagine there’s an element of accepting the wider circulation of the virus over late summer/autumn rather than winter. There feels like an acceptance now that everyone is going to get it at some stage

You’d hope that the scientists/gov/nhs are keeping a close eye on what’s happening with infection rates in certain age/risk groups, hospitalisations etc (sure they are).

I also think a lot of the U.K. public are just getting on with getting life back to normal. Again, I’m not saying this is right or wrong, only time will tell I guess.

I think we’re just leading other countries TBH, although we seem to be more devil may care than many with other measures, I expect like Isreal did other places will also see a rise when booster time comes around.

We do need to crack on with boosters though and the messaging seems to have gone very quiet on that. I’d like to see more public information stuff about how it’s still out there and wear a mask, etc.

NorthernWisdom

Looks like they were careful with the statement wording. Probably happened but they say they followed rules (certainly if the individual lived on their own I think they could’ve joined bubble although even if they didn’t live alone I thought it was possible for xmas day ?!…there been lots of rule changes and a fair few months since so can’t really remember !!!)

Ps I spent Christmas Day with a couple of mates so would find it difficult to judge anyway 😊
It's down to the PM to set your example, mind!

But as said, I really *can't* imagine he'd be that stupid. Well... tbf I could imagine he could be that stupid, but he does have plenty of advisors to tell him not to be. Then again, who picked Hancock as a lothario?

NorthernWisdom

I think we’re just leading other countries TBH, although we seem to be more devil may care than many with other measures, I expect like Isreal did other places will also see a rise when booster time comes around.

We do need to crack on with boosters though and the messaging seems to have gone very quiet on that. I’d like to see more public information stuff about how it’s still out there and wear a mask, etc.
I'll also be a lot more comfortable when antivirals come online, and from my personal POV, if I'm allowed a chance of a vaccine boost next year, even if I have to pay...

As an aside, an elderly friend has been told by their doctor that they've run out of flu vaccines, and they'll have to make their own arrangements. Given last year they made a big deal about the risks of catching both Covid and flu, that ain't great...

shmmeee

They are being cracked on with. My uncle and grandad have had theirs and most of the old timers in the local I speak to have as well.

Not at the rate the first shots were looking at the data. TBF my missus has had hers as well. But the data shows there’s something like 4m who are due but haven’t had theirs.

hill83

Not at the rate the first shots were looking at the data. TBF my missus has had hers as well. But the data shows there’s something like 4m who are due but haven’t had theirs.

Yeah fair enough. Mine was only anecdotal evidence.

Astute

They do their numbers differently to us. Most probably more honest. The numbers you see are people going to hospital. ICU numbers just over 1,000.

The Connexions site you used as evidence is very poor. If I had believed them I wouldn't have got my pass sanitaire. They have now vaccinated over 85% of over 12's. If you haven't got your pass sanitaire you can't enter any premises where they serve food or drink. This includes places where they have an outside area. You have to wear a mask to go into any shop or similar. No mask no entry. My children have to wear a mask all day at school even in the playground.

Have you seen what is happening in Italy? They are going on strike as everyone needs a similar pass to be able to go to work.

But in the UK we continue with life as though nothing has happened. We were miles ahead with vaccinations. Now we are behind.

Here are the proper updated numbers. They are directly off my pass sanitaire.
Screenshot_20211018-111849_AntiCovid.jpg Screenshot_20211018-111841_AntiCovid.jpg
Screenshot_20211018-111827_AntiCovid.jpg

jimmyhillsfanclub

Nearly 1100 in French ICU doesn't realy tally with the French case numbers though does it?

It would suggest to me that the numbers of reported cases are well under?

I could be wrong but I'm guessing France aint testing to the same extent?

UK currently officially has just under 800 on ventilators as off yesterday....I don't know how many in ICU....but i'm sure someone on here will let us know soon enough.

Grendel

Nearly 1100 in French ICU doesn't realy tally with the French case numbers though does it?

UK currently officially has just under 800 on ventilators as off yesterday....I don't know how many in ICU....but i'm sure someone on here will let us know soon enough.

Less than France are in ICU...................France is over 1,000 UK is 783 as of Oct 14

Sky Blue Pete

Astute

I have done screenshots straight from my Pass sanitaire. They are not guesses like what we seem to get here.

They also take things much more seriously than we do here. We carry on as though nothing is wrong. Yet in Scotland you now need their pass by law and looks like Wales will follow soon. We have the highest rate in Europe. Our hospitalisation was over 7,000 last time I looked.

Users who are viewing this thread