Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics)

shmmeee

Jul 11, 2011
Coventry, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
Higher testing rates compared to other European countries is as simple as yet again we’re the Covid epicentre of Europe. More people presenting symptoms equals more people testing equals more people coming into direct contact with people who’ve tested positive equals more people testing.
It’s all Evo and his family from the sounds of it!

Sick Boy

Sep 29, 2008
Verona, Italy
And not let us ignore possible cases from children being at school.

My children in France have to wear face masks all day at school. The French numbers were much higher than ours. You also have to wear a mask to go into shops or are not allowed in. If you want to eat or drink anywhere you have to have an app. Pass sanitaire. To have it you must be double vaccinated, tested within the last 3 days or recently had Covid. Their numbers average about 4,000 a day.

To me all they do reduces the numbers. Opening schools without proper precautions adds to the risk. Being able to mingle without any kind of proof of anything adds to the risk. Added risk=added cases.

Or would anyone like to say that added risk doesn't add up to added cases?
It’s the same situation in Italy and they’re about to roll it out to workplaces. From my own experience, only around a third of bars and restaurants are actually checking them. Go outside of the tourist areas and they’re not being checked.

Grendel

Sep 19, 2011
It’s the same situation in Italy and they’re about to roll it out to workplaces. From my own experience, only around a third of bars and restaurants are actually checking them. Go outside of the tourist areas and they’re not being checked.
France as of today have 7,000 in hospital so it’s safe to say their reported daily number of cases is not very accurate

Reactions: Sky Blue Pete

Astute

Aug 2, 2011
Cumbria
Everywhere I went asked to see the pass sanitaire. You even need it to eat or drink outside. It is massive fines if caught not asking for it. I think it is even prison for repeat offenders.

skybluetony176

Aug 2, 2013
Quite a legacy of incompetence Johnson is building

Was never going to be any other way. Not just with Covid but in every area of government and governance. A buffoon leading imbeciles of a government.

skybluetony176

Aug 2, 2013
The headlines in today’s papers also explains Boris’ holiday. He’s hiding in a very expensive warm fridge miles away from the scene of the crash.

Reactions: Skybluefaz

Sky Blue Pete

Nov 24, 2012
Yep criminal seriously criminal what they did and no one will answer for it. Sod it though theyd all have died at some point though eh

Last edited:
Reactions: skybluetony176

clint van damme

May 3, 2015
Yep criminal seriously criminal what they did and no one will answer for it. Sod it though theyd all have died at some point though eh
Have you heard the government's response? The brass neck of these fuckers, they saved 1000's of lives apparently.

Sky Blue Pete

Nov 24, 2012
Have you heard the government's response? The brass neck of these fuckers, they saved 1000's of lives apparently.
Both are true. Lives were lost unnecessarily mainly down to government inaction and confusion and many were saved through learning lessons and acting. Both are true. Johnson and Hancock would have hung in years gone by for the old people’s homes in isolation

Last edited:

PVA

Apr 22, 2011
Legging it out of the country knowing full well a report detailing how he sent people to an early grave was coming out. Boris ladddd!!!

But but Labour/Corbyn!
But but he's trying his best!
But but he nearly died you know!

The bloke literally has the blood of thousands on his hands. How can anyone support him?

Sky Blue Pete

Nov 24, 2012
Legging it out of the country knowing full well a report detailing how he sent people to an early grave was coming out. Boris ladddd!!!

But but Labour/Corbyn!
But but he's trying his best!
But but he nearly died you know!

The bloke literally has the blood of thousands on his hands. How can anyone support him?
Because of who he’s not just wow

skybluetony176

Aug 2, 2013
I think James O’Brien has summed it up perfectly. The insistence that he has done his best as a line of defence for him is the worst condemnation of all. He’s wholly inadequate, as his best shows. Literally anyone bar Trump and that nut case from Brazil could have done better.

skybluetony176

Aug 2, 2013

Have they ever actually published the science that they were following? I know the question has been asked repeatedly for them to publish the science over the course of the pandemic but only recall them refusing to do it, don’t recall them actually doing it.

PVA

Apr 22, 2011
I think James O’Brien has summed it up perfectly. The insistence that he has done his best as a line of defence for him is the worst condemnation of all. He’s wholly inadequate, as his best shows. Literally anyone bar Trump and that nut case from Brazil could have done better.
'He was just doing his best' is what you say about a 6 year old kid trying something for the first time. It's not what you say about the Prime Minister.

And if he really was doing his best then clearly he is unfit for office. If we wasn't doing his best, which seems more likely, then that also makes him unfit for office.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Aug 16, 2018
Both are true. Lives were lost unnecessarily mainly down to government inaction and confusion and many were safer through learning lessons and acting. Both are true. Johnson and Hancock would have hung in years gone by for the old people’s homes in isolation
Maybe, but saving a few thousand lives against being responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands still puts you at quite a deficit.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Aug 16, 2018
Apart from possibly Priti Patel who would have had a policy to infect everyone non-British arriving in the country to try and put off immigrants and asylum seekers.

Sky Blue Pete

Nov 24, 2012

Have they ever actually published the science that they were following? I know the question has been asked repeatedly for them to publish the science over the course of the pandemic but only recall them refusing to do it, don’t recall them actually doing it.
Never understand why an apology is often the hardest word. Madness for me

shmmeee

Jul 11, 2011
Coventry, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
It’s not though is it? I’m sorry that people died, I’m sorry that more could have been done and wasn’t, I’m sorry people suffered

you know empathy
His sort are taught early on it’s a sign of weakness along with all other human emotion aside from “banter”. It’s a schoolboy coping mechanism rife in the sorts of places he grew up.

Reactions: Sky Blue Pete

Sky Blue Pete

Nov 24, 2012
His sort are taught early on it’s a sign of weakness along with all other human emotion aside from “banter”. It’s a schoolboy coping mechanism rife in the sorts of places he grew up.
Yeah and to be fair my mum was the same yesterday. And sometimes sorry is misused as a whatever. For me it’s one of the most powerful and misused words in our language

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Aug 16, 2018
Probably because an apology also reads like an admission of guilt.
Certainly it is construed as such in the ongoing power battle. Whichever way the other parties would jump on it as proof of incompetence.

I remember one of the things I was told by one of my first bosses was never admit a mistake as it's seen as weakness. Didn't agree with him then, don't agree with it now.

The only way we get better is to admit when we're wrong and learn from it. Hence why G is still wrong so often.

Somehow we need to factor in that mistakes will be made, especially if things are unfamiliar or new.

I think the problem with this is that a lot of the mistakes during the pandemic weren't 'honest' mistakes and were not done with the best interests of the people at heart. Failure to stop travel or implement lockdown was done with political motivation rather than public safety. A lot of the response to dealing with it was done with economic motivation in enriching friends and donors more than providing what was needed to deal with the crisis.

So in this instance guilt is an apt word because they knew they should have taken different actions and chose not to, knowing full well people would die as a result.

Evo1883

May 25, 2013
Coventry
How TF I've not caught covid is beyond me

Don't know how good my immune system is , but so far it feels like my body is pushing covid away like

Tommo1993

Apr 14, 2019
How TF I've not caught covid is beyond me

Don't know how good my immune system is , but so far it feels like my body is pushing covid away like
Mine has been a lot better over the last 4 years since working outdoors in all the elements (predominately in previous job). I expected to pick it up at some point having still mixed with loads of people. Maybe I have unknowingly. Touch wood it stays away. Hope your girl is better now.

Reactions: Evo1883