Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (17 Viewers)

clint van damme

Wimbledon final will be played in front of a full capacity court. Government bending over for Lloyd-Webber as well it seems. Certain demographics getting preferential treatment.

Surely not? They're on the side of the working class

skybluetony176

Give it a couple of weeks and if he starts saying there’s nothing in the data to suggest that we won’t be able to fully unlock on the 19th we won’t be unlocking again. You heard it here first.

Personally I wouldn’t be surprised if further lockdown measures come back in.

CCFCSteve

Give it a couple of weeks and if he starts saying there’s nothing in the data to suggest that we won’t be able to fully unlock on the 19th we won’t be unlocking again. You heard it here first.

Personally I wouldn’t be surprised if further lockdown measures come back in.

Not sure the reasons or justifications are for the above comment Tony. It’s already a pretty miserable day for some (especially those connected to hospitality industry and have had summer plans disrupted). Let’s at least try to keep it positive until there’s something to suggest otherwise

In terms of queries why the vaccine roll out has slowed a bit, think it’s been mentioned before we’ve moved from AZ to Pfizer/Modern’s for under 40s (and single jab vaccine also hasn’t come on stream) so guessing supply isn’t as certain and volumes aren’t there. Also half term and then summer season, people are away and guessing the numbers of staff and volunteers have dropped a little. I’d take anything around 500k per day (sundays numbers are always very low) on average at the moment. Still good

Ps think they’re still looking for volunteers in main cities for final vacco push. Some shifts are as short as 3-4 hours for anyone with some spare time

Last edited:

skybluetony176

Not sure the reasons or justifications are for the above comment Tony. It’s already a pretty miserable day for some (especially those connected to hospitality industry and have had summer plans disrupted). Let’s at least try to keep it positive until there’s something to suggest otherwise

In terms of queries why the vaccine roll out has slowed a bit, think it’s been mentioned before we’ve moved from AZ to Pfizer/Modern’s for under 40s (and single jab vaccine also hasn’t come on stream) so guessing supply isn’t as certain and volumes aren’t there. Also half term and then summer season, people are away and guessing the numbers of staff and volunteers have dropped a little. I’d take anything around 500k per day (sundays numbers are always very low) on average at the moment. Still good

Ps think they’re still looking for volunteers in main cities for final vacco push. Some shifts are as short as 3-4 hours for anyone with some spare time
I pointed out a couple of weeks ago that his language had changed from the exact language used in the article to “at the moment there’s nothing in the data”. It was obvious at that point that the decision had already been made but he had to set the scene where it was the data’s fault, not his for letting in the latest variant for three weeks longer than he should have. Not sure why you’re getting upset with me for pointing out the obvious. I don’t run the country, get upset with those who do. It’s been one fuck up after another, not making decisions until there’s no decision to be made, repeatedly late to lockdown, repeatedly, repeatedly late to close the borders etc etc. That’s the reason the entertainment industry can’t open up fully, not some observations I’ve made.

CCFCSteve

I pointed out a couple of weeks ago that his language had changed from the exact language used in the article to “at the moment there’s nothing in the data”. It was obvious at that point that the decision had already been made but he had to set the scene where it was the data’s fault, not his for letting in the latest variant for three weeks longer than he should have. Not sure why you’re getting upset with me for pointing out the obvious. I don’t run the country, get upset with those who do. It’s been one fuck up after another, not making decisions until there’s no decision to be made, repeatedly late to lockdown, repeatedly, repeatedly late to close the borders etc etc. That’s the reason the entertainment industry can’t open up fully, not some observations I’ve made.

not getting upset with you at all, just saying let’s try to keep future predictions a bit more positive until some info/data suggests otherwise

CCFCSteve

how about we deal in reality and facts instead of pretending?

The facts are what we have in front of us now. My response was in relation to the prediction of a lockdown. The hospitalisations modelling has been way off so far (currently fact, hoping it remains that way), PHE announced last night that two doses of either AZ and Pfizer stops hospitalisations by 90%+ and the delay will allow another 10m+ doses to be administered.

SBT

just FYI im in my early 30's and just brought my second jab forward by 4 weeks. So might be worth checking

Did the same yesterday as well! Bit nerve wracking cancelling the second dose before booking the new one, but getting it a month earlier now - everyone still waiting on their second dose should give it a go.

skybluetony176

not getting upset with you at all, just saying let’s try to keep future predictions a bit more positive until some info/data suggests otherwise
Well. Unfortunately we’re already there. Under current lockdown restrictions cases of the delta variant is doubling on almost a weekly basis IIRC. Based on continuing on this path that isn’t going to change. So Boris either doesn’t understand the data (quite possible) or he is very disingenuously selling false hope (more likely). Given current lockdown restrictions aren’t working in curtailing the delta variant what are our options. Best case scenario is we get enough people vaccinated to keep hospitals coping meaning we don’t have to go backwards regarding lockdown restrictions. Negativity or positivity has nothing to do with it, reality is the only thing that matters and that’s our reality.

oakey

Heard an interview with someone who had worked with Johnson before he was even London mayor. This person said Johnson hates making decisions and his modus operandi is to wait as long as possible until his options are reduced to 2 or 3 then he jumps. He is also hard to read as colleagues believe he changes his mind several times a day according to who he last spoke to so when you make a good case and think you've persuaded him it can all unravel quickly.
Not really temperamentally suited to leadership in a crisis but a critical mass of people don't seem to have noticed.

COV

Heard an interview with someone who had worked with Johnson before he was even London mayor. This person said Johnson hates making decisions and his modus operandi is to wait as long as possible until his options are reduced to 2 or 3 then he jumps. He is also hard to read as colleagues believe he changes his mind several times a day according to who he last spoke to so when you make a good case and think you've persuaded him it can all unravel quickly.
Not really temperamentally suited to leadership in a crisis but a critical mass of people don't seem to have noticed.

I was not having a go at Steve per se, but to talk about "looking for positives" is ridiculous for the reasons you say. There can be no false positivity with Boris running the show.

Don't forget, this is the guy who wrote COVID off as just like flu, boasted about how he would ignore the rules and then almost ended up dead as a result. With that kind of approach its no wonder we lurch from one crisis to the next, which smacks of a lack of any cohesive plan.

Grendel

I was not having a go at Steve per se, but to talk about "looking for positives" is ridiculous for the reasons you say. There can be no false positivity with Boris running the show.

Don't forget, this is the guy who wrote COVID off as just like flu, boasted about how he would ignore the rules and then almost ended up dead as a result. With that kind of approach its no wonder we lurch from one crisis to the next, which smacks of a lack of any cohesive plan.

most people wrote it off as flu go to page 1 of the thread

Grendel

Did the people on a football messageboard have access to the same information and data as the Prime Minister?

Mr macron as an example was hugging and kissing people at the same time as Mr Johnson was shaking hands. There was zero belief across anywhere it would escalate as it did.

Grendel

ok try this one.

Statistically, do you think Macron's country or Boris Johnson's country handle COVID better

Ours have. As reflected in wider public opinion both in France - who regard Mr Johnson as a better leader than Macron - and clearly here as his popularity rating is as high as Blair

Macron is despised in France and there’s every chance Le Penn will topple him

Your comment on ICU was dumb. macron has had Covid 8 of his cabinet had it and two were hospitalised

COV

Ours have. As reflected in wider public opinion both in France - who regard Mr Johnson as a better leader than Macron - and clearly here as his popularity rating is as high as Blair

Your comment on ICU was dumb. macron has had Covid 8 of his cabinet had it and two were hospitalised

lol, I said "statistically", not biased opinions either way.

France deaths per 100,000= 164.86
UK deaths per 100,000= 191.77

France deaths as % infections= 1.9%
UK deaths as % infections= 2.8%

Want to revisit the question based on facts?

Did Macron appear on national TV telling his people he intended to flout medical advice?

Grendel

Macron bangs old women.
Johnson bangs everybody.

Simple as that, end of, case closed, full stop.

Macron bangs male body builders and then uses his powers to prevent legal recourse when they commit crimes - so it’s alleged

Nick

Administrator
Macron bangs male body builders and then uses his powers to prevent legal recourse when they commit crimes - so it’s alleged

giphy.gif

Grendel

lol, I said "statistically", not biased opinions either way.

France deaths per 100,000= 164.86
UK deaths per 100,000= 191.77

France deaths as % infections= 1.9%
UK deaths as % infections= 2.8%

Want to revisit the question based on facts?

Did Macron appear on national TV telling his people he intended to flout medical advice?

He just flouted it period - if we are going to go that route Sick Boy is not going to be happy as he’s certainly going to have to own up that Johnson would have been a better bet than whoever is PM in Italy this week. U.K. is now around 10th in the list isn’t it in Europe on that measure alone?

SBT

I must have missed it when Chris Whitty bought out the opinion polls when he was going through the slides.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Wimbledon final will be played in front of a full capacity court. Government bending over for Lloyd-Webber as well it seems. Certain demographics getting preferential treatment.

Tories giving preferential treatment to their mates? Who'd 'ave thunk it!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

So you think public opinion is the indicator to use? In that case we should approach everything like China - their leaders seem to do everything right and have extremely high popularity. As does Putin.

clint van damme

Johnson is better than a man who let his police force batter women with batons, what a ringing endorsement.
He's still a useless twat.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I see JHB further down that twitter thread having a go at Johnson for doing something he knows is wrong and will damage the country, accusing of having no backbone.

Wonder where's she's been for the past five years.

Reactions: PVA

Users who are viewing this thread