Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (9 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

Lot's of people are bitching about wearing masks, and lots of people are also complaining about a lot of the other restrictions and "new normal" conditions that are going to be around until we have a vaccine. One look at twitter or instagram and everyone is complaining about civil liberties and asking "how long are we going to go on living like this for it's ridiculous". Simple...until there's a vaccine.

Sorry if you think I was being a bit of a cock, but I stand by everything I say. The reason you can't go back to teaching the way it used to be is because these kids could go home and pass this virus onto other people, their families, grandparents, etc. People are still contagious when they are assymptomatic. I assume being an experienced teacher you are not in the super low risk category you describe either. These kids could give it to yourself. No doubt it's tough and I feel for you, but to swipe it away as 0.4% death rate is dangerous IMO and gives excuses to idiots who choose to dismiss this pandemic because it doesn't suit the privileged lifestyle they have become accustomed to.

Except pretty much the only change I’m asking for is to do a) practical work and b) to go over and help people at their desks. You have already got loads of siblings in different year groups and also loads of children from different households mixing in different classes. I’ve only been doing it less than 5 years, same for my other half. I have also always said that there should be an opt out for those in vulnerable households.

Brighton Sky Blue

No one is saying you guys in the teaching profession have it easy and none of use in society as a whole are having it easy but I don't think anyone was piling on. A statistic was mention and that was then expanded on.

The current restrictions are needed and I think there is a chance that we may have needed to go harder with them. I think the issues with teaching and schools are a different issue to the restrictions. The government fannied about so much instead of putting in plans to properly reopen schools.

You must admit DOD he went on a bit about why people are complaining. My point was I feel a double whammy from my job becoming a lot harder overnight but then more good things are taken away. Which feels inconsistent given the government is OK putting me with 100 or so different children a day

robbiekeane

Except pretty much the only change I’m asking for is to do a) practical work and b) to go over and help people at their desks. You have already got loads of siblings in different year groups and also loads of children from different households mixing in different classes. I’ve only been doing it less than 5 years, same for my other half. I have also always said that there should be an opt out for those in vulnerable households.
Look - you asked why you had to teach differently and used the 0.4% number as support for your argument as if it was insignificant, and said that the kids you teach likely won't even develop systems. I simply pointed out that 0.4% is very much significant and just because someone doesn't get symptoms doesn't mean they won't pass it on to some poor sod who will.

That's really all there is to it. As far as your other point goes about the kids already mixing...i don't think an imperfection in the system is justification for increasing risk further really but I'm not going to get drawn into an argument about it.

I appreciate what you do and my mum is a teacher who recently tested positive so personally I don't think kids should be in school at all right now as she is older, but that's a different thing entirely.

Brighton Sky Blue

Look - you asked why you had to teach differently and used the 0.4% number as support for your argument as if it was insignificant, and said that the kids you teach likely won't even develop systems. I simply pointed out that 0.4% is very much significant and just because someone doesn't get symptoms doesn't mean they won't pass it on to some poor sod who will.

That's really all there is to it. As far as your other point goes about the kids already mixing...i don't think an imperfection in the system is justification for increasing risk further really but I'm not going to get drawn into an argument about it.

I appreciate what you do and my mum is a teacher who recently tested positive so personally I don't think kids should be in school at all right now as she is older, but that's a different thing entirely.

It’s more than an imperfection it’s thousands of people on site and mixing between bubbles. I am teaching a practical subject without the ability to do practicals and without the ability to go over and help a student. I may as well not be in or I may as well be allowed to do my job properly.

Sorry for being argumentative, it’s more than a little inconvenience

Liquid Gold

I wasn't piling on at anyone for mental health issues at all - I was responding to BSB's 0.4% number where the implication was that this is an insignificant number and so therefore why are we having these restrictions. It's also not about whether the under 20s are going to get sick from it, it's about their parents and their grandparents or other people they pass it on to.

Usually enjoy your posts and agree with a lot of what you say but not really sure why you've came at me there...
I just feel that post was a bit of a projection at the dicks out there like the one you mentioned on your next post on twitter. I don't think BSB was trying to disparage the gravity of the virus and we should all be allowed space to vent when things get frustrating at the moment, particularly when it's affecting our mental health.

I don't disagree with any of your points either, I think so long as someone isn't some conspiracy nut sometimes a little "Yeah it's shit, hope you're ok, try and keep your chin up and we'll get through it" can be more useful.

xcraigx

Over 7000 positive tests possibly more concerning 71 deaths

I think it's more a case of going back to weekend reporting not being particularly quick / accurate. During the lockdown weekend figures were quite often lower and then come Tuesday (which is actually Monday's figures) its shoots up.

Very encouraging that hospital admissions have lowered over the past 4 days.

Sick Boy

What’s stopping you seeing them? I’ve just remembered you’re in Italy. Sorry
Parents won't fly here and they're really worried so are apprehensive about me going there as well - honestly I am not sure what'd do it I 'picked it up' on the way over too. For now life here is back to normal but I feel very, very tense and pent up about it all over and the lack of control.

Sky Blue Pete

I think it's more a case of going back to weekend reporting not being particularly quick / accurate. During the lockdown weekend figures were quite often lower and then come Tuesday (which is actually Monday's figures) its shoots up.

Very encouraging that hospital admissions have lowered over the past 4 days.
I heard that but the graph bbc showed didn’t say that at all. Average of 329 last 7 days

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Parents won't fly here and they're really worried so are apprehensive about me going there as well - honestly I am not sure what'd do it I 'picked it up' on the way over too. For now life here is back to normal but I feel very, very tense and pent up about it all over and the lack of control.
Keep the faith mate. It will end eventually but it's the not knowing when that's really difficult. My wife is in the high risk category and it's been excruciatingly difficult over the last few months. She's only recently been confident enough to go out for walks but still crosses the road when someone comes the other way. Now she's losing confidence again and we're back to square one.
I think your parents should certainly stay away from air travel. Flying for older people looks like a game of Russian roulette. It's a disgrace. We all need to stay put and ride it out . All we can do is be sensible and keep a distance from others and chances are most of us will be okay.
As long as your parents are together they can look after each other and you shouldn't over worry because there's nothing you can do. Look after yourself.

LastGarrison

Looked at the map for the first time in a while: ArcGIS Web Application

Are there specific differences between what Cov and Warwick Uni have done on the return? In the map above, a big hotspot in Cov is Canon Park & University. Yet around central Coventry and east of the city centre, no particular evidence of a student related surge.
It’s interesting as Cov students have been back since 14th September whereas Warwick’s welcome week only started this week. Drove through Warwick Uni on Sunday and have to say it seemed very quiet.

I did hear a rumour today though that Warwick are considering going fully online and they’ve had problems with ventilation in buildings.

Also, there’s a video doing the rounds on social media of Cov students having a massive party in one of the private owned student blocks, however, Cov have had only 5 confirmed cases across all of their campuses (Cov, Scarborough, and the three London campuses).

SBT

I think your parents should certainly stay away from air travel. Flying for older people looks like a game of Russian roulette. It's a disgrace. We all need to stay put and ride it out . All we can do is be sensible and keep a distance from others and chances are most of us will be okay.

I really don't think flying is as dangerous as you're making it sound. The risks of catching it on even a full flight are lower than you think, and a lot of flights are pretty much empty at the moment. Everyone's got to do the research and work out what's best for them, but I would feel better about spending three hours on a flight from Italy than I would spending three hours in a bar.

fernandopartridge

I really don't think flying is as dangerous as you're making it sound. The risks of catching it on even a full flight are lower than you think, and a lot of flights are pretty much empty at the moment. Everyone's got to do the research and work out what's best for them, but I would feel better about spending three hours on a flight from Italy than I would spending three hours in a bar.

I read something about the 'HEPA' air filters on flights being particularly effective at removing corona particles from the air.

NorthernWisdom

Certain universities are going to extend the opening hours of their campus buildings. This is where the 'let them all get it' argument falls down, because it's the people having to serve and support in those self-same buildings who'll be the ones at risk, not the students - let alone them then bringing it home to their friends and family.

At a time when government advice is to work from home where possible, it seems particularly crazy that they're going to expand the opening they've already put in place, which doesn't currently restrict students from using the facilities, just it might mean they have to get up before 11am. Current opening also means there's a limited number of staff needed, whereas the extended opening will see more required, at more times.

LastGarrison

Certain universities are going to extend the opening hours of their campus buildings. This is where the 'let them all get it' argument falls down, because it's the people having to serve and support in those self-same buildings who'll be the ones at risk, not the students - let alone them then bringing it home to their friends and family.

At a time when government advice is to work from home where possible, it seems particularly crazy that they're going to expand the opening they've already put in place, which doesn't currently restrict students from using the facilities, just it might mean they have to get up before 11am. Current opening also means there's a limited number of staff needed, whereas the extended opening will see more required, at more times.
The counter argument to that is that you then have less people congregating in shortened hours and they are spread out over a longer time period to stop bunching etc.

The fact is it was blatantly obvious that having schools and universities going back was going to hasten the spread of coronavirus as the age groups are more carefree and we all felt indestructible at that age never mind against a virus that is pretty much never going to kill you at that age.

NorthernWisdom

The counter argument to that is that you then have less people congregating in shortened hours and they are spread out over a longer time period to stop bunching etc.

The fact is it was blatantly obvious that having schools and universities going back was going to hasten the spread of coronavirus as the age groups are more carefree and we all felt indestructible at that age never mind against a virus that is pretty much never going to kill you at that age.

Agree entirely with your second paragraph. It's also a classic case of shooting the messenger if we blame young people for doing what young people do.

The first paragraph, I might have more sympathy with if they were buildings that *needed* to be open for longer, and also if they weren't calling in additional staff, who otherwise wouldn't have been in those locations, to deal with the extra opening times.

Brighton Sky Blue

It’s less about carefree and more about 2000 people on site. They have largely been pretty compliant

Alan Dugdales Moustache

If I were elderly I wouldn't want to sit on a plane for 3 hours, wearing a mask, surrounded by strangers.
Neither would I want it on my conscience to risk telling an elderly person it was alright to fly.
I can at least have some control in a bar as to how far I can distance myself.
On a plane I will be 6 inches from everyone.

LastGarrison

Agree entirely with your second paragraph. It's also a classic case of shooting the messenger if we blame young people for doing what young people do.

The first paragraph, I might have more sympathy with if they were buildings that *needed* to be open for longer, and also if they weren't calling in additional staff, who otherwise wouldn't have been in those locations, to deal with the extra opening times.
The vast majority of staff are still working from home though and the idea behind the extended hours is to spread things out and some of the staff being asked to work extended hours will still be working virtually but completely get your point.

The argument at the moment, which is a delicate one, is that if Uni’s are saying it’s safe for students then it should be safe for staff....

Our office usually has around 90 people in and currently the average is around 25. I’ve been in a few times and have put myself forward as being happy to go in more regularly.

SBT

If I were elderly I wouldn't want to sit on a plane for 3 hours, wearing a mask, surrounded by strangers.
Neither would I want it on my conscience to risk telling an elderly person it was alright to fly.
I can at least have some control in a bar as to how far I can distance myself.
On a plane I will be 6 inches from everyone.

For sure, there is a risk. And yeah, it's one thing to risk it yourself, it's quite another to ask an elderly person to do it! But all I'm saying is, it's important to know what the risks are in the first place. 'Russian Roulette' is just scaremongering - you'd be seeing thousands of plane-related Covid cases if that were the case, but it's nothing like that.

FWIW, I've flown a few times during the pandemic - each time I've had the entire row to myself and the plane was at about 10 to 20% capacity. The fear of getting on a plane stopped me at first from seeing my family during Covid, and if I'd stuck to that, I'm guessing I would have gone at least a year without seeing them. Realising that my fears weren't totally rational and taking the risk turned out to be the best decision I made.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

For sure, there is a risk. And yeah, it's one thing to risk it yourself, it's quite another to ask an elderly person to do it! But all I'm saying is, it's important to know what the risks are in the first place. 'Russian Roulette' is just scaremongering - you'd be seeing thousands of plane-related Covid cases if that were the case, but it's nothing like that.

FWIW, I've flown a few times during the pandemic - each time I've had the entire row to myself and the plane was at about 10 to 20% capacity. The fear of getting on a plane stopped me at first from seeing my family during Covid, and if I'd stuck to that, I'm guessing I would have gone at least a year without seeing them. Realising that my fears weren't totally rational and taking the risk turned out to be the best decision I made.
If you're talking about a plane with 10 - 20% capacity then that's different to those images that appear on the news where it looks absolutely rammed, and that's where I think it's madness to fly if you are an older person , but I take your point.

David O'Day

Deaths can only go one way for a while. It'll get worse before it gets better as the numbers in hospital and ventilators pile up, plus lots of outbreaks in care homes as well

Johnson today seemed to basically be giving up as well which is worrying. He's been shit but now he looks beaten as well.

Users who are viewing this thread