Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (38 Viewers)

robbiekeane

I read something about the 'HEPA' air filters on flights being particularly effective at removing corona particles from the air.
According to Aeromexico (owned by Delta) the HEPA air filters are the same ones used in Hospitals and removes 99.9% of bacteria from the air.

As someone else said, I would much prefer to be on a flight than in a bar, or an underground or subway or whatever.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

But the bluster is gone, he knows it's all going wrong and everyone is going to blame him.

I could've saved him the bother within 10 minutes of first becoming aware of him all those years ago on HIGNFY. Clear immediately this was not a man whose name was never going to be synonomous with competence.

CCFCSteve

In more positive news.....

Imperial college have indicated that R rate has actually fallen (from 1.5/1.7 to around 1.1) in recent days. If this is correct it might’ve been the initial briefings a week or two ago that might’ve jolted the public out of what was becoming a more complacent approach to the virus. Too early to tell for sure as their sample testing might not be representative of the local spikes

Looking at the info provided in the briefIng yesterday:

There is substantial capacity in the NHS (inc 30k ventilators)
Even though schools have reopened the virus and therefore case numbers are not currently rising exponentially in school aged kids. Hopefully this message will reduce the numbers of kids getting tested (I’m guessing when they have colds etc), which will free up testing capacity for those of higher risk.

All a bit early for judgments but let’s hope the better news continues (even though Id expect numbers to continue to increase for a bit yet - especially I’m guessing around uni’s)

Ps Keeping a close eye on France and Spain to see if their high case numbers translate to high death numbers. Although higher still appear under control(ish) at present. Fingers crossed

skybluetony176

Imperial college have indicated that R rate has actually fallen (from 1.5/1.7 to around 1.1) in recent days. If this is correct it might’ve been the initial briefings a week or two ago that might’ve jolted the public out of what was becoming a more complacent approach to the virus. Too early to tell for sure as their sample testing might not be representative of the local spikes

Even though schools have reopened the virus and therefore case numbers are not currently rising exponentially in school aged kids. Hopefully this message will reduce the numbers of kids getting tested (I’m guessing when they have colds etc), which will free up testing capacity for those of higher risk.

All a bit early for judgments but let’s hope the better news continues (even though Id expect numbers to continue to increase for a bit yet - especially I’m guessing around uni’s)

Ps Keeping a close eye on France and Spain to see if their high case numbers translate to high death numbers. Although higher still appear under control(ish) at present. Fingers crossed
If it’s correct we can get the bunting out. Boris has actually got something right. First for everything and if that is the case I only applaud his response, even if he himself didn’t understand what that response was.

David O'Day

If it’s correct we can get the bunting out. Boris has actually got something right. First for everything and if that is the case I only applaud his response, even if he himself didn’t understand what that response was.

It's a big if and would be disputed by the public health officials on the ground.

shmmeee

According to Aeromexico (owned by Delta) the HEPA air filters are the same ones used in Hospitals and removes 99.9% of bacteria from the air.

As someone else said, I would much prefer to be on a flight than in a bar, or an underground or subway or whatever.

This is why it’s wrong not to have a smoking section on planes. Just saying.

shmmeee

Great news if the trend holds up. Little wary of the national survey as I’m not sure if this is the higher resolution one that can spot localised outbreaks, but it’s probably the best dataset we’ve got.

On the kids point, I doubt it’ll do much. Schools still want a negative test before they let kids back in so the motivation for parents is still there.

David O'Day

Great news if the trend holds up. Little wary of the national survey as I’m not sure if this is the higher resolution one that can spot localised outbreaks, but it’s probably the best dataset we’ve got.

On the kids point, I doubt it’ll do much. Schools still want a negative test before they let kids back in so the motivation for parents is still there.

I don't think the national survey is very good for working this out anymore. It's dataset is worked out for the country as a whole so it will miss localised outbreaks. Remember places like Liverpool, Newcastle, Manchester and others have x10 as many cases per 100k as the England average so lower spreading areas will drive down the the national average on most things. Looking at the local figures in these places the R rate is still well above 1.

chiefdave

I don't think the national survey is very good for working this out anymore. It's dataset is worked out for the country as a whole so it will miss localised outbreaks. Remember places like Liverpool, Newcastle, Manchester and others have x10 as many cases per 100k as the England average so lower spreading areas will drive down the the national average on most things. Looking at the local figures in these places the R rate is still well above 1.
The first important point is to always make sure you're comparing the same source. The R number given by Imperial has been very different from the one given by the government so people need to be careful not to interchange the two.

The second point is the margin of error. The headline figure is 1.1 but the report itself says it could be anywhere between 0.7 to 1.5 compared to a headline figure of 1.7 a month ago.

And of course anything over 1 means that overall its heading in the wrong direction. Unfortunately they only seem to release results monthly so it will be a while before we see if the downward trend continues and hopefully goes below 1.

wingy

The first important point is to always make sure you're comparing the same source. The R number given by Imperial has been very different from the one given by the government so people need to be careful not to interchange the two.

The second point is the margin of error. The headline figure is 1.1 but the report itself says it could be anywhere between 0.7 to 1.5 compared to a headline figure of 1.7 a month ago.

And of course anything over 1 means that overall its heading in the wrong direction. Unfortunately they only seem to release results monthly so it will be a while before we see if the downward trend continues and hopefully goes below 1.
Yeah a lot of data appears,but not on a consistent measure,be that time or demographics.

shmmeee

I did say as much, I heard they were looking to increase its resolution to make it better though, not sure if that’s happened or still planned.

CCFCSteve

Found this slide pretty alarming in the briefing yesterday.

View attachment 17119

Yeah, agree, anything where theres a rapid rise it is concerning (but probably expected following the increased case numbers). The vertical axis is also only currently 0 to 0.45 per 100k so even relatively low increases by number will appear more significant on the graph (not that this should be ignored)

CCFCSteve

Agree. To be honest I agree with the localised approach/measures at present due to this fact

Ps still hoping the rate of increase is being brought back under control though

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

This is why it’s wrong not to have a smoking section on planes. Just saying.

I did hear that since smoking got banned on flights air quality has actually got poorer on planes because they recycle the air less to cut costs. When there was smoke in the air they had to pump fresh air in far more often.

NorthernWisdom

Agree. To be honest I agree with the localised approach/measures at present due to this fact

Ps still hoping the rate of increase is being brought back under control though
Local areas maybe need to be bigger though. Was daft Teesside not being included until now, you could say Midlands is right on the cusp all around.

You're OK if you live in Devon, though!

skybluetony176

I did hear that since smoking got banned on flights air quality has actually got poorer on planes because they recycle the air less to cut costs. When there was smoke in the air they had to pump fresh air in far more often.
Said a spokesman for the tobacco industry. I think it turned out to be a complete urban myth IIRC.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Said a spokesman for the tobacco industry. I think it turned out to be a complete urban myth IIRC.

I think it was a report that more people were getting nauseous on flights and developing colds etc after flights.

You may be right as I didn't follow it up to check.

shmmeee

Just had a google, found one letter to a flight magazine and a couple of reports saying the claims don’t hold up plus a couple of papers showing the impacts of second hand smoke on cabin crew.

Fair to say it’s probably bollocks. Ah well, I should probably just quit :p

wingy

Hartlepool.
80% of cases are occurring when households mix.
The solution to that one should be relatively simple?

wingy

I know there will be point's made about accuracy, but if it's instant does it not better conventional testing due to errors and delay there.
Also the price £150 quoted at one point but the price of a paperback further in .
Which is it,cos it's a factor of at least 15.

clint van damme

Trump has it. The big surprise is that it's taken this long

just said on the Trump thread if he dies no doubt his followers will concoct some mad conspiracies and cause mayhem. And just thought, a bigger nut job than him will take the reigns.

Users who are viewing this thread