Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (9 Viewers)

chiefdave

Some good news. Although this sounds a bit like the moonshot test, Johnson will be annoyed if someone has already developed it and he can't chuck a load of money to his mates.
A test that can accurately diagnose coronavirus in minutes will dramatically expand testing in low and middle-income countries, the World Health Organization (WHO) has said.

The $5 (£3.80) test could transform tracking of Covid-19 in less wealthy countries, which have shortages of healthcare workers and laboratories.

CCFCSteve

I'm a pessimist anyway SB, this has sent it into overdrive. Another 6 months of this is too much

Keep your chin up mate, hopefully things will improve quicker than hoped.

I really don’t know why six months was mentioned (it’s daunting for most). Really should’ve just said monthly review and if they can release restrictions, they will do so (even temporarily) to encourage people to do the right thing.

I agree with those that say hospital admissions, deaths etc will continue to rise for a period (of course they will), however, hopefully nowhere near the rate of the first wave. There’s new info being released all the time which may help them to tweak policy - like the higher viral load infections reducing over time (assuming due to masks, distancing etc) thereby more ‘less serious’ cases.

fingers crossed better news on the way (we can but hope !)

ps just to clarify, thats not to say that nhs capacity still doesn’t need to be managed during the coming months but if lockdowns/restrictions are being implemented there needs to be proper consideration as to when, where, who for and for how long.

Brighton Sky Blue

I really don’t know why six months was mentioned (it’s daunting for most). Really should’ve just said monthly review and if they can release restrictions, they will do so (even temporarily) to encourage people to do the right thing.

I agree with those that say hospital admissions, deaths etc will continue to rise for a period (of course they will), however, hopefully nowhere near the rate of the first wave. There’s new info being released all the time which may help them to tweak policy - like the higher viral load infections reducing over time (assuming due to masks, distancing etc) thereby more ‘less serious’ cases.

ps just to clarify, thats not to say that nhs capacity still doesn’t need to be managed during the coming months but if lockdowns/restrictions are being implemented there needs to be proper consideration as to when, where, who for and for how long.

The last 6+ months have already done enough damage to me Steve and as I keep saying it's because of a virus that seems to have record % of people not even getting symptoms. Yet we're allowing it to ruin every aspect of society, people's livelihoods, their mental health and so on. I just need some light at the end of the tunnel and I don't see it

clint van damme

Vallance's estimates had us at a 0.4% death rate. About half don't get symptoms, another 30% will get mild symptoms. People under 20 will hardly ever fall ill from it but I have to teach in a box and refrain from even handing them a sheet. Where's the justification in that BS?

On top of me losing my job later in the year (not covid related), it looks as though the missus will have to knock her business on the head (because of covid).
But while you've got breathe in your body you can move on. We know people who haven't come back from it or are still suffering months later.

It is shit but getting through it with you and your loved ones in one piece is the main thing. That's how I look at it.

David O'Day

Vallance's estimates had us at a 0.4% death rate. About half don't get symptoms, another 30% will get mild symptoms. People under 20 will hardly ever fall ill from it but I have to teach in a box and refrain from even handing them a sheet. Where's the justification in that BS?

Cool let us let people die because some cunts are having a paddy about having having to not have a whale of a time.

Fuck them

Ring Of Steel

On top of me losing my job later in the year (not covid related), it looks as though the missus will have to knock her business on the head (because of covid).
But while you've got breathe in your body you can move on. We know people who haven't come back from it or are still suffering months later.

It is shit but getting through it with you and your loved ones in one piece is the main thing. That's how I look at it.

I think that’s the only way to look at it

Brighton Sky Blue

As above I just need some light at the end of the tunnel. I am normally fine handling short term setbacks but if the long term seems bleak I can't really shake it.

chiefdave

It’s making me miserable just thinking about yet more things I can’t do while I’m being asked to do my job in the most farcical circumstances. There’s nothing to look forward to for months on end
Its horrible mate, there's literally nothing to look forward to. I'm still furloughed, no idea if I'll have a job once we get past October so sit here worrying about how I'm going to pay the mortgage and bills.

Haven't seen anyone apart from my Mum and Dad in months. My Dads 86 and I can see him deteriorating by the week as he's just sat in the house doing nothing. At this rate I'd be surprised if he makes it through another 6 months of this.

But what's the alternative? Even the 0.4% you quote would equate to over 250K deaths, do we just accept that and open everything up? Of course that figure assumes the NHS not being overwhelmed, with the rate this spreads out they'd soon run out of capacity and the death rate would spiral.

Not to mention we don't know how much long term damage is done to those who 'recover' and there's also some research to suggest that those who are asymptomatic are seeing damage to their heart and lungs that will cause future issues. There's no easy answer to this. We're really just all trying to get through it until either treatment massively improves or a vaccine is ready.

TomRad85

Anyone heard anything about Halloween? Daughters favourite holiday and she was asking today if it’ll be “cancelled”. Genuinely didn’t know what to tell her.
As long as you prep her for trick or treating like so, it should be fine.
d9fd061b0404e446ffe574fb43fa4bc3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

Its horrible mate, there's literally nothing to look forward to. I'm still furloughed, no idea if I'll have a job once we get past October so sit here worrying about how I'm going to pay the mortgage and bills.

Haven't seen anyone apart from my Mum and Dad in months. My Dads 86 and I can see him deteriorating by the week as he's just sat in the house doing nothing. At this rate I'd be surprised if he makes it through another 6 months of this.

But what's the alternative? Even the 0.4% you quote would equate to over 250K deaths, do we just accept that and open everything up? Of course that figure assumes the NHS not being overwhelmed, with the rate this spreads out they'd soon run out of capacity and the death rate would spiral.

Not to mention we don't know how much long term damage is done to those who 'recover' and there's also some research to suggest that those who are asymptomatic are seeing damage to their heart and lungs that will cause future issues. There's no easy answer to this. We're really just all trying to get through it until either treatment massively improves or a vaccine is ready.

Yeah I remember you talking about that a number of times. I just want something to look forward to

NorthernWisdom

Yeah I remember you talking about that a number of times. I just want something to look forward to
What you have to do, is little things.

The walk in the park, the bottle of beer cooling in the fridge, the film you've chosen to watch at the weekend. Me and my Dad occasionally pick some craft beer and drink it on Skype. Mrs Wisdom has just made some excellent flapjacks and that may be a small thing, but it's a fine treat. There's a hamper of goodies being delivered this week, ordered by me... for me 😁

Then, start planning your Christmas, maybe. Might not be how you'd have wanted to spend it, but what food would you like, who's cooking.

There are always things to look forward to, but you'll have to find them in different places.

Sick Boy

Yeah it’s shite, I just want to see my mum and dad, the prospect of not seeing them until next Spring or Summer is dreadful

Sick Boy

The walk in the park, the bottle of beer cooling in the fridge, the film you've chosen to watch at the weekend. Me and my Dad occasionally pick some craft beer and drink it on Skype. Mrs Wisdom has just made some excellent flapjacks and that may be a small thing, but it's a fine treat. There's a hamper of goodies being delivered this week, ordered by me... for me 😁

Then, start planning your Christmas, maybe. Might not be how you'd have wanted to spend it, but what food would you like, who's cooking.

There are always things to look forward to, but you'll have to find them in different places.
Great advice, made a steak and Guinness pie yesterday...got an extra 7 cans of Guinness to ‘complement’ the pie as well - lovely

Brighton Sky Blue

The less said about Mrs BSB's cooking the better

shmmeee

This too shall pass guys.

It’s shit and it’s doubly shit cos everyone’s going through it at once. But we’ll come out the other side.
As long as you prep her for trick or treating like so, it should be fine.
d9fd061b0404e446ffe574fb43fa4bc3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

“We’re all dressing as Minions this year kids!”

fernandopartridge

Part of me thinks the 6 month thing is a nudge rather than genuine, I certainly hope so anyway

Ian1779

I watched Elf this evening. Cheered me up a bit until I realised I sacked off the pile of mocks I needed to mark.

Gonna watch Gremlins tomorrow - fuck the mocks it’s all gonna be CAG anyway.

Ring Of Steel

I watched Elf this evening. Cheered me up a bit until I realised I sacked off the pile of mocks I needed to mark.

In my humble opinion Gremlins is the greatest festive movie of all time, followed by Planes, Trains & Automobiles and National Lampoons

Ring Of Steel

Hmm. And to think I was looking forward to watching Get Carter...

One thing I’ve noticed is that whenever I watch something and there is a gathering of any kind in a bar or something, I instinctively find myself thinking “they’re taking a chance”- this thing takes over your thoughts completely 😂

The Office (USA version) is my go to escapism programme, and the Channel 4 programme that was on Channel 4 in about 2001

Brighton Sky Blue

We don't do mocks till after Christmas. Spend most of my time trying to re-plan entirely practical lessons for use in random rooms, that and doss about on here of course.

robbiekeane

That 0.4% is around 1.3 million people in the US.

260k people in the UK.

24 million people globally.

it’s an astronomical amount of people who would die and as someone else has pointed out, that’s assuming the healthcare systems don’t get overwhelmed.

And why? Because people can’t wear a mask and watch more Netflix?

We have skype, FaceTime, free international calls Via WhatsApp or Viber, iPads, group messages, pretty much unlimited video content, games consoles, live sports, food delivery services at the touch of a button. Our lives are literally better than 99% of literally everybody who has ever fucking lived on this planet to date and we complain and struggle to make small sacrifices for 1/80th of our lives so that we can move on and beat this shit.

It drives me fucking mad

Brighton Sky Blue

That 0.4% is around 1.3 million people in the US.

260k people in the UK.

24 million people globally.

it’s an astronomical amount of people who would die and as someone else has pointed out, that’s assuming the healthcare systems don’t get overwhelmed.

And why? Because people can’t wear a mask and watch more Netflix?

We have skype, FaceTime, free international calls Via WhatsApp or Viber, iPads, group messages, pretty much unlimited video content, games consoles, live sports, food delivery services at the touch of a button. Our lives are literally better than 99% of literally everybody who has ever fucking lived on this planet to date and we complain and struggle to make small sacrifices for 1/80th of our lives so that we can move on and beat this shit.

It drives me fucking mad

Bully for you

NorthernWisdom

One thing I’ve noticed is that whenever I watch something and there is a gathering of any kind in a bar or something, I instinctively find myself thinking “they’re taking a chance”- this thing takes over your thoughts completely 😂

The Office (USA version) is my go to escapism programme, and the Channel 4 programme that was on Channel 4 in about 2001
We've watched every single episode of Peep Show!

Going to track down the Brittas Empire next! Bet it hasn't aged well

Users who are viewing this thread