Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (70 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

You haven't got a clue. The NHS was overwhelmed:

It had to create thousands of extra ICU beds
It had to redraft other clinical specialities to look after critically ill patients,
It had consultants doing nursing shifts
It's now got a significant backlog of people waiting for treatment
Thousands of people with undiagnosed cancer

Comparing today with a catastrophic situation doesn't mean today is any good.

I tend to agree that it is time to go back to normal but it's only a few weeks to get second jabs to a chunk of the population. It's not as if the current restrictions are any thing that can't be lived with for a bit longer, let's be honest.

I take it that you, like saddlebags has had both of your jabs

Can I mention the ‘W’ word at this point?

clint van damme

Are you being serious?

It shows Johnson has acknowledged Cummings and his nonsense is well in the past

Will be well received by the majority in the country and boost the government poll ratings - him vs that oily weirdo shadow health bloke? No contest

Poor leadership to let him become so influential and defend his Barnard Castle breach.

Saddlebrains

It had to redraft other clinical specialities to look after critically ill patients,

I tend to agree that it is time to go back to normal but it's only a few weeks to get second jabs to a chunk of the population. It's not as if the current restrictions are any thing that can't be lived with for a bit longer, let's be honest.

Saddlebrains. Hope this helps FernandoAlonso

baldy

Yep I have…I work in a hospital so had both of mine months ago

Skybluefaz

Surely catching COVID off your child is a concern?
Personally, not really although I appreciate it will be for some. Cos someone tested positive in my sons year on Friday he's already missed out on his final football tournament of the season, he'll miss out on swimming with school every day this week which was already rearranged. He's back to online learning which means I've got to manage that and my own work this week. Plus he'll miss two further football training sessions and shouldn't really leave the house. He's tested negative on a lateral flow yesterday. It feels like there should be a better way to manage it. Maybe some of that 37 billion quid could have stretched to a more effective way to manage Covid-19 in schools rather than sending everyone home.

Brighton Sky Blue

Personally, not really although I appreciate it will be for some. Cos someone tested positive in my sons year on Friday he's already missed out on his final football tournament of the season, he'll miss out on swimming with school every day this week which was already rearranged. He's back to online learning which means I've got to manage that and my own work this week. Plus he'll miss two further football training sessions and shouldn't really leave the house. He's tested negative on a lateral flow yesterday. It feels like there should be a better way to manage it. Maybe some of that 37 billion quid could have stretched to a more effective way to manage Covid-19 in schools rather than sending everyone home.

Well being honest if we are to ‘live with Covid’ we should be letting schools function as normal and treating someone off with it the same we do as any other illness. What we’re doing right now isn’t really teaching

Nick

Administrator
The provision is always there in cases where both parents cannot WFH.

Other members of the workforce aren’t your enemy

I'm not saying they are.

Just when I am having to take days off to help teach my child I don't have the privilege of somebody doing my job for me.

It's just not as simple as "close all the schools". We need to learn to live with it rather than lock the country down every time.

Brighton Sky Blue

I'm not saying they are.

Just when I am having to take days off to help teach my child I don't have the privilege of somebody doing my job for me.

It's just not as simple as "close all the schools". We need to learn to live with it rather than lock the country down every time.

Primary schools can and should stay open, they aren’t the main drivers of infection and the children are less able to handle remote learning.

Teaching remotely is harder and a bigger ball ache so it’s not like I’m suggesting it lightly. My wider point is we should be fully unrestricting schools so none of it is needed and we don’t have half in half out

Grendel

This may be a stupid question as I don't have kids but what do you do in the school holidays or when your kids are off school sick?

plan I assume as you know it’s happening - reality is we can’t just keep closing schools at unscheduled times

Nick

Administrator
This may be a stupid question as I don't have kids but what do you do in the school holidays or when your kids are off school sick?

Use holiday or grandparents who also use holiday to spend time with her. Doesn't leave much left for all the other times.

She has had about 3 days off sick in about 7 years of being at school so sickness isn't an issue.

Everything is planned and worked around for holidays.

clint van damme

I'm not saying they are.

Who pays your wages if you're ill with covid?
It's catch 22

Grendel

Who pays your wages if you're ill with covid?
It's catch 22

It isn’t really - it’s the same who pays if you’ve got flu and can’t go in - that’s not an argument - you don’t close businesses if someone in has Covid

Grendel

Fair play, pretty impressive that you manage to plan when your kids are going to be sick :sick:

Thats an emergency scenario though isn’t it - it’s not the case of being sick is it it’s closing schools so every child who is perfectly well can’t go into school which is absurd

Brighton Sky Blue

Thats an emergency scenario though isn’t it - it’s not the case of being sick is it it’s closing schools so every child who is perfectly well can’t go into school which is absurd

At the moment large numbers who are perfectly well can’t go in because of one case in their year group. What I’m saying is if we are really concerned about that system then scrap it so children do not have to isolate or distance or close them altogether for the last few weeks so infections can fall.

Pretty much every teacher I work with wants to either have full normality or to go remote until the end.

Nick

Administrator
At the moment large numbers who are perfectly well can’t go in because of one case in their year group. What I’m saying is if we are really concerned about that system then scrap it so children do not have to isolate or distance or close them altogether for the last few weeks so infections can fall.

Pretty much every teacher I work with wants to either have full normality or to go remote until the end.

I agree. It's way over the top.

No point closing now, then we close again in Sept / Oct. Rinse and repeat.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

But when they're ill there's no expectation on the teaching staff to have to provide them with the lesson while they're at home. So if they're 'off' for whatever reason we should therefore have to follow the same protocols and they have to catch up when they get back.

Unfortunately this isn't fair on the kids who aren't ill, or even feel it.

I don't know how the set up is right now but is there a thing where the teacher just gives the lesson as normal with a camera at the back of the class and the kids just have to log into it so they're in the class even though they're not?

Brighton Sky Blue

But when they're ill there's no expectation on the teaching staff to have to provide them with the lesson while they're at home. So if they're 'off' for whatever reason we should therefore have to follow the same protocols and they have to catch up when they get back.

Unfortunately this isn't fair on the kids who aren't ill, or even feel it.

I don't know how the set up is right now but is there a thing where the teacher just gives the lesson as normal with a camera at the back of the class and the kids just have to log into it so they're in the class even though they're not?

We already do that.

chiefdave

Genuinely if that’s the service you are getting move to a proper doctors. Family had great service from Gp and hospital over the last month or so
Might have to consider it. Although the only other doctors nearby shut down pre-coivd. Local doctors surgeries seem to be a thing of the past now which isn't great with an ageing population many of whom will be like my parents and have mobility issues.

Had to go into the supposedly closed surgery last week to pick up some paperwork they'd failed to post so I could get some routine tests done. Asked about getting an appointment to be given the 'phone only, call in the morning' line. Eventually they agreed to book in a phone appointment for the following day with the doctor as they agreed it was only him who could deal with it.

Of course never received the call and its taken until today, 6 days later, to be able to get through only to be told that it was actually an in person appointment with a nurse at a surgery on the other side of the city! Their system has also text me to say I need to speak to the doctor about my test results but I can't book an appointment for that either, its phone in the morning and hope for the best :mad: Doing my anxiety the world of good thinking something has come up on the tests given they never usually bother speaking to you about them.

No wonder there's so many people turning up at A&E that they're overwhelmed.

Users who are viewing this thread