Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (67 Viewers)

David O'Day

Interestingly, Blackburn w Darwen which has been heavily hit throughout and now seems to be one of the places hit by the indian variant, has invited all over 18s in certain districts for a vaccine. NHS England pissed off apparently.

They have said it is going to be available for anyone over 18 in the whole of Blackburn w/Darwin

Sky Blue Pete

If they delay the 21st June restrictions for this i can actually see riots on the streets. People have had enough now. You cant say vaccines are the way out of it and then do the complete opposite
Only selfish bastards that probably voted Brexit, whinge at smoking being moved outside public buildings, think refugees should stay in their war torn countries and think Boris speaks for the working class

Brighton Sky Blue

Only selfish bastards that probably voted Brexit, whinge at smoking being moved outside public buildings, think refugees should stay in their war torn countries and think Boris speaks for the working class

In which case I guess I’m all of the above. If there were civil disobedience in response to more lockdown I’d support it.

NorthernWisdom

Can't we just agree on the following?!?

If the medical advice, unfiltered, from Whitty and co. is that masks, distancing, and whatever measures are no longer needed come June 21st then we go with it, because they are the experts with ability to interpret, and also have more access to data than the rest of us. This is with the proviso and understanding that there will be outliers who are not safe yet, and others where psychologically, the challenge will be to assimilate.

If the medical advice, unfiltered, from Whitty and co. is that masks, distancing, and whatever measures *are* needed come June 21st then we go with it, because they are the experts with ability to interpret, and also have more access to data than the rest of us. This is with the proviso and understanding that there will be outliers who suffer medically because of that, and others where psychologically, the challenge will be to continue.

Just what is wrong with that?!?

hill83

If the medical advice, unfiltered, from Whitty and co. is that masks, distancing, and whatever measures are no longer needed come June 21st then we go with it, because they are the experts with ability to interpret, and also have more access to data than the rest of us. This is with the proviso and understanding that there will be outliers who are not safe yet, and others where psychologically, the challenge will be to assimilate.

If the medical advice, unfiltered, from Whitty and co. is that masks, distancing, and whatever measures *are* needed come June 21st then we go with it, because they are the experts with ability to interpret, and also have more access to data than the rest of us. This is with the proviso and understanding that there will be outliers who suffer medically because of that, and others where psychologically, the challenge will be to continue.

You want to marry the lockdown and kiss it and have kids with it.

shmmeee

I won’t be best pleased if this delays relaxing of restrictions, the government should 100% have stuck India on the red list a bit sooner

However, a couple of additional points, firstly, what the fuck were people doing travelling to/from india anyway ? Secondly, why weren’t they self isolating for two weeks on return ?

Thankfully, it appears the vaccines work against the Indian variant and we’ve got nearly all high risk double jabbed now (as chart above shows) and over 40s single jabbed, so even if case numbers spike it hopefully shouldn’t translate to increased hospital admissions

Agree with comments about just opening up vaccines to all 18-40 now as well, especially if there are concerns about anticipated lower uptake...as long as that works ok logistically.

Agree and not surprised to see a Tory take the personal responsibility angle ;)

In seriousness though, public health works with the world as it is and should take into account the fact people won’t do as they’re told.

Apparently we have built up several million doses (7m I think?) of Pfizer, for me better to use them in a targeted way now and nip and outbreaks in the bud. But I’ll defer to the vaccine task force as they’ve done an excellent job so far and have earned a bit of latitude.

Brighton Sky Blue

In seriousness though, public health works with the world as it is and should take into account the fact people won’t do as they’re told.

Apparently we have built up several million doses (7m I think?) of Pfizer, for me better to use them in a targeted way now and nip and outbreaks in the bud. But I’ll defer to the vaccine task force as they’ve done an excellent job so far and have earned a bit of latitude.

And so leave the 30-35 as piggy in the middle? ;)

CCFCSteve

haha, some of you lot would probably employ a hundred thousand people to babysit/guard everyone who’s got it/might have it to ensure they self isolate 😊 (probably not a bad idea come to think of it !). Seriously though, if people found it necessary to travel to India in recent weeks/months, the least they could do is self isolate on return !

Agree that if we’ve got loads of spares that aren’t needed for second doses, then get them out ASAP. I wonder if there’s still some supply concerns for non AZ vaccines though

Ps 635k jabs were administered today so we’re still going at a decent pace

Grendel

Because scientists are not controlling the economy - its advice from one end of the spectrum and the hard nosed economist would be the other end. The government have to strike a balance

shmmeee

Because scientists are not controlling the economy - its advice from one end of the spectrum and the hard nosed economist would be the other end. The government have to strike a balance

There’s no balance. The economics and the public health both agree that you need to control the virus and that you will have to live with it at a certain level.

The idea that you make the economy thrive by scaring the shit out of consumers is one of the weirder ones of the pandemic.

shmmeee

Don't fancy the full vaccination then?

Sweet more for everyone else

Nah, I had antibodies already.

giphy.gif

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Also doesn't help that its pretty easy to buy fake documents. So I bet it would not be hard to buy a PCR test negative certificate in India for a few quid.

There was a flight that went from India to Australia a few weeks ago. All the passengers tested negative before boarding, but when the plane arrived in Australia and they passengers got tested again, around 60 (if I recall) tested positive.

Obviously some really dodgy shit going on there. I'm pretty sure the story has been buried now too. When I searched it another article did show something similar happened on a flight to Italy, but the original story has gone.

Of course banning flights from India was then called racist. Dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

Brighton Sky Blue

There was a flight that went from India to Australia a few weeks ago. All the passengers tested negative before boarding, but when the plane arrived in Australia and they passengers got tested again, around 60 (if I recall) tested positive.

Obviously some really dodgy shit going on there. I'm pretty sure the story has been buried now too. When I searched it another article did show something similar happened on a flight to Italy, but the original story has gone.

Of course banning flights from India was then called racist. Dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

Called racist by who?

SBT

Why would the story be buried?

CCFCSteve

The media are absolutely flogging "indian mutation" aren't they this week?

Constant news app alerts, get fucked.

Agreed. I understand the concern but what pisses me off is they quote/print some random scientists saying there ‘could be’ 6k-10k hospitalisations per day over the summer in a worst case scenario (more than in Jan/Feb !)...how does that stand up to any kind of scrutiny when, by all accounts, the vaccines are effective against current mutations, even one jab stops hospitalisations by 70%+ in the high risk categories (presume this increases the younger you are) and vaccines reduce transmission maybe by 50% ?! let alone taking into consideration there should be far more outdoor mixing over summer (compared to Dec-Feb)....assuming this shit weather improves soon !

I ‘could be’ a euromillions winner and sleeping with Margot Robbie tonight but realistically I’m (slightly) more likely to be nipping to the local chippy and watching some shit on tv

When a lot of the country are understandably still anxious the media has an important role to play in reporting facts rather peddling hysteria (which most have done throughout the pandemic). They don’t appear happy unless the country is in some high state of anger or anxiety, it’s wrong.

Ps Johnson holding a press conference at 5pm. Let’s hope it’s broadly positive (or at least not negative) news

Users who are viewing this thread