Forgotten Trialists and Signings (1 Viewer)

AStonesThrow

Matthew Christensen, 14 year old Australian midfielder we signed around 2000. Highly touted, ended up playing a bit at Southampton but nothing spectacular

Joy Division

Richard Spong - came over from Sweden into our youth team and expected to be another Roland Nilsson.

We had him and another young Swedish player at the same time Andreas Dahl who was highly rated, never made an appearance for us but went on to have a decent career in the Swedish league and gaining a few international appearances.

1ccfc

Matthew Christensen, 14 year old Australian midfielder we signed around 2000. Highly touted, ended up playing a bit at Southampton but nothing spectacular
Richard Spong - came over from Sweden into our youth team and expected to be another Roland Nilsson.
We had him and another young Swedish player at the same time Andreas Dahl who was highly rated, never made an appearance for us but went on to have a decent career in the Swedish league and gaining a few international appearances.
Have you all been playing Championship manager 01/02 recently?

The Philosopher

Was just reading an article on FourFourTwo; “worst Prem footballers of all time”.

The winner was the legend that is Ali Dia. He’s the guy who pretended to be George Weah’s cousin but was actually never a footballer. Signed for Southampton on the back of a fake phone call and played in the first team for a match.

Apparently, had a trial at Cov. Lucky that Russel Slade wasn’t our manager at the time I guess.

Ali Dia is one for the list here then.

Last edited:

Grendel

Spong was still playing last year

AlansEyes

If its the same guy I remember him making a fantastic run and cross which would have been a gimme to any self respecting centre forward, only for Kevin Kyle to be on his heels at the edge of the penalty area. I'm pretty sure it was Fadiga, and I can still picture his exasperated look of disbelief at Kyle.
This was against Preston. I was there on work experience with the CT for the day. We lost 4-0 and Fadiga going mental at Kyle got the biggest cheer of the day. We had to wait around for ages for the post match press conference because Dowie was going crazy at the team in the changing room afterwards.

ovduk78

Anyone remember Keith Rowland. We had him on loan at end of 92-93 season & he made a couple of sub appearances, I thought we were going to sign him but not sure we were doing our usual dithering about but West Ham ended up signing him.

SBT

This guy was a genius for me on an old version of Football Manager.

I remember a sustained campaign from people who believed Jack McBean was the answer to our striker problems a few years ago.

Briles

Ellery Cairo was supposed to be one of the fastest wingers in the world

NorthernWisdom

Users who are viewing this thread