Port Vale striker Alex Nimley 'would play for nothing' to join Coventry City and keep (1 Viewer)

phildownunder

What he did when last at the club is irrelevant. His recent history doesn`t inspire confodence

ajsccfc

I don't think the league could officially call winning a penalty an assist as that suggests it's something you should go looking for rather than a punishment for the opposition.

stupot07

What he did when last at the club is irrelevant. His recent history doesn`t inspire confodence

I agree. If TM brings him in fair enough, it won't be this season anyway as he's contracted. But point to what he did 3-4 seasons ago is about as relevant as simeon jackson playing in and getting promoted from the championship and playing PL football 2-3 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Sky Blue Kid

Here we go....
You say assists(Penalties) don't count with regards to Nimely? Have a troll back to the 60's when Ron Farmer scored IIRC approx 29-30 penalties whilst in the Sky Blue of Coventry, and only ever missed one. Have a guess who it was that won most of those penalties? Penalties as such that helped win Promotions from third to first division? Thought who it is yet Grendel?..................Ronnie Rees. Sheer speed took him past defenders that could only bring him down to stop him.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Just to add to the assist argument

FIFA's Technical Study Group is responsible for awarding assist points at the FIFA World Cup.[SUP][5][/SUP] In the Technical Study Group's report on the 1986 World Cup, the authors calculated for the first time unofficial statistics for assists, developing the following criteria:[SUP][1][/SUP]

1. An assist was awarded to the player who had given the last pass to the goalscorer.
  2. In addition, also the last but two holder of the ball could get an assist provided that his action had decisive importance for the goal .
  3. After goals from rebounds those players were awarded an assist who had shot on target.
  4. After goals scored on penalty or by a directly converted free-kick the fouled player received a point.
  5. In case that the goalscorer had laid on the goal for himself (dribble, solo run), no assists were awarded.
  6. No assists were awarded, either, if the goalscorer took advantage of a missed pass by an opponent.
The 1990 World Cup technical report adopted similar criteria, but changed the free-kick/penalty criterion:[SUP][2][/SUP]

• Where goals resulting from penalties are concerned, the player who is fouled in the area receives an assist point (unless, that is, the player who is fouled subsequently executes the penalty himself).
Planet World Cup has calculated some retrospective data on assists back to the 1966 World Cup,[SUP][6][/SUP] though the 1986 data differs from that of FIFA.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP]
FIFA started officially keeping track of assists in World Cup tournaments at the 1994 edition.[SUP][8][/SUP] This was popularly ascribed to the popularity of detailed sports statistics among American fans.[SUP][8][/SUP] 1994 was also the first World Cup in which assists were used as a tie-breaker in determining the Golden Shoe award for top scorer.[SUP][8][/SUP][SUP][9][/SUP] In the event, both Hristo Stoichkov and Oleg Salenko tied with 19 points, from 6 goals and 1 assist.[SUP][9][/SUP]

Whether its official or not, winning a penalty is as good as an assist in my book anyway.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Coventry City manager Tony Mowbray rules out move for Port Vale striker Alex Nimely

Tony Mowbray
has turned down a play-for-nothing offer from Alex Nimely who was hoping to reboot his stalled career with a second loan stint at Coventry City.

The Liberian-born striker, who had loan spells at Mowbray’s Middlesbrough and Andy Thorn’s Sky Blues while he was on Manchester City’s books, is currently AWOL from Port Vale having made just one appearance this season – a cameo in December’s 2-0 home defeat against Coventry.
His father David Tchuimeni, who acts as his agent, approached City chief executive Steve Waggott saying that Nimely was so keen to team up with Mowbray again that he would turn out for free – but the manager, who has other loan irons in the fire, gave him short shrift.
“If Waggy gets any calls I’ve told him to drop the names on my desk,” said Mowbray, “but when Alex Nimely came to Middlesbrough I’d have to say that he didn’t really do it. He found it really hard at first-team level and just didn’t cut it.
“That’s the danger because there are loads of these types of players who we could take on loan from clubs like Arsenal or Man City who are young boys who have only ever played Under-21 football.
“Robert Page was at the reserve game this week and we had a chat in my office afterwards but we never discussed him.”

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sp...ws/coventry-city-manager-tony-mowbray-8915943

stupot07

Sounds like he didn't rate him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

jimmyhillsfanclub

Good. Career total of 1 goal.....1 fucking goal. Can't believe this thread has gone on so long.

Hes clearly utter dog turd. Fucking rubbish. Maybe get a game for Cov. Utd if hes lucky & their other strikers are all out injured.

torchomatic

I didn't either. Not sure what all the fuss was about.

Sounds like he didn't rate him.

Samo

Never known a player come out and say that they WANT to play for us, whilst contracted to another club!

I don't think he's burning to wear the shirt, just wants to play for TM.

Users who are viewing this thread