Forgotten Trialists and Signings (1 Viewer)

Happy_Martian

skyblueelephant76

Oleksandr Yevtushok, first ukrainian to play in the English top flight. Subbed after 30mins of his debut at Old Trafford and only made two more appearances.

Happy_Martian

Didn't Alexi Lalas have a trial with us after the '94 World Cup when he'd starred for the USA ?

And from that involvement, we got Cobi Jones. Just checked and after us, Cobi went on to play 11 seasons for LA Galaxy before he retired in 2007.

Happy_Martian

Also under "Forgotten" would have to be Isaias Isaías Marques Soares - Wikipedia

I remember we've had some great loans, taking some up-and-comers from other Prem sides youth teams, Ollie Norwood from Man U, Jordan Henderson from Sunderland, Jack Cork from Chelsea and Johnnie Jackson from Spurs. Stephen Warnock from Liverpool also comes to mind.

skyblueelephant76

Alex Nimley - scored on his debut and looked a real handful but don't think he scored again.

Apparently offered to come back and play for free when Mowbray was manager but he wouldn't take him back.

Irish Sky Blue

Jose Perdomo and Chris Marsden were two players who, I think, only played 3 games each, very much looked the part, but for whatever reasons, we're never signed permanently. I remember Perdomo running the game at Villa Park and Marsden doing the same in a game at home to Swindon. I don't know what happened to Perdomo, but Marsden had a long PL stint with Southampton.

skyblueelephant76

Jose Perdomo and Chris Marsden were two players who, I think, only played 3 games each, very much looked the part, but for whatever reasons, we're never signed permanently. I remember Perdomo running the game at Villa Park and Marsden doing the same in a game at home to Swindon. I don't know what happened to Perdomo, but Marsden had a long PL stint with Southampton.
Marsden played 7 times for us and looked really good - so we let him go and signed the mighty Sandy Robertson instead!

Walsgrave

Mathieu Manset. He was supposed to be the next big thing and did well in the under 23s. As we know, performance in the under 23s does not necessarily correlate with first team success !

SlowerThanPlatt

Mathieu Manset. He was supposed to be the next big thing and did well in the under 23s. As we know, performance in the under 23s does not necessarily correlate with first team success !
Are you thinking of a different player? Manset went straight into the first team and had already played plenty of league football. He scored against Preston at Sixfields in the 4-4

shmmeee

Think you’re thinking of that Canadian striker Nick loved.

larry_david

Who was that striker from wba about 4 seasons ago. Oh just remembered Andre Wright.

Fascinating fact, that ccup game away against some bag of shit (who beat us) Wright started and one bookie had him 100/1 to score first so I hammered it. Don't think he even touched the ball

Walsgrave

Are you thinking of a different player? Manset went straight into the first team and had already played plenty of league football. He scored against Preston at Sixfields in the 4-4
No, I mentioned the under 23s because he scored in a 23s game at Nuneaton back in September 2013 and all of the other 23s players were doing this "We love the Manset" malarkey around him. I'm aware he had league experience and scored for us against Preston, and the despite doing well in a couple of 23s appearances, he did not return.

SlowerThanPlatt

No, I mentioned the under 23s because he scored in a 23s game at Nuneaton back in September 2013 and all of the other 23s players were doing this "We love the Manset" malarkey around him. I'm aware he had league experience and scored for us against Preston, and the despite doing well in a couple of 23s appearances, he did not return.

I can’t remember him ever being lauded as the next big thing. He was 24 and had just been released by Carlisle

CanuckSkyBlue

Moldovan, I was seven when he scored against England in 98. About the same time I realised I supported two sh*te teams!

David O'Day

Who was the bloke who was another player driver who started a cup game and was utter flange?

shepardo01

I can’t remember him ever being lauded as the next big thing. He was 24 and had just been released by Carlisle
Think people got him mixed up with a promising Chelsea (i think?) youngster at the time, who had a similar name.. can't quite remember it though!!

Users who are viewing this thread