Do you want to discuss boring politics? (15 Viewers)

Philosorapter

Oh we’re doing guilt by association are we?

(Former Tory, but that doesn’t usually stop you)

Guess all Tories are perverted.

Ridiculous way to decide who to vote for. Yes there are dodgy councillors, in a population of several thousand that will happen. No it doesn’t tell you anything.

I would think corruption isn't acceptable at any level of Government.

Or by any individuals in any political party.

This is your post though.

I mean at its core it definitely is. Left wing views are left wing views. Wipe all the crap off and there’s just someone who wants higher wages, better working conditions, more home ownership and education for more people and no one left behind. It’s the incessant squabbling about the other 99% of politics that does us in these days.

I don't class these as left-wing values in any way, shape, or form.

Last edited:

shmmeee

This is your post though.

I don't class these as left-wing values in any way, shape, or form.

That would be the crap you’re wiping off.

You seem to have this childlike view of the world and think everyone acts according to some moral compass both publicly and privately. The world ain’t like that. Even superhero movies don’t pretend the world is as binary as you do.

Philosorapter

You seem to have this childlike view of the world and think everyone acts according to some moral compass both publicly and privately. The world ain’t like that. Even superhero movies don’t pretend the world is as binary as you do.

This one would be known as Kant's Categorical Imperative.

If we all acted like this as a society then we would all be screwed.

Bit of moral philosophy to help you out.

Philosorapter

Might be worth having a listen.

Skybluefaz

Had an 'Emma Harrison' posting in support of the conservative crime comissioner on my local facebook group. Stock photo for profile image and cover, friends list full of dodgy profiles and low and behold local tory boy Ryan Simpson. The bit of promotion posted by 'Emma' featured Ryan talking with the Tory crime commsioner candidate. I see you Ryan.

clint van damme

I'm struggling with these Coventry Labour values.

Is this what you mean by more home ownership?

Or higher wages?

You've had to go back to 2017. If you're looking for Tory sleaze you can break the Internet listing whats gone on this year.

Grendel

So neither are the examples being pointed out then.
Though I don't subscribe to that. Townsends behaviour was appalling, so is Johnson and his cronies in my view.

If he does a job that satisfies the public and you as an individual no one cares - Cameron was a rubbish prime minister but if he was a great one his lobbying would be irrelevant - it is irrelevant- he was a rubbish prime minister

clint van damme

If he does a job that satisfies the public and you as an individual no one cares - Cameron was a rubbish prime minister but if he was a great one his lobbying would be irrelevant - it is irrelevant- he was a rubbish prime minister

You're surely not suggesting Johnson is a great PM?

Grendel

You're surely not suggesting Johnson is a great PM?

No but I’m saying the most corrupt PM in my life time was definitely Tony Blair and the man who really controlled the government - Alistair Campbell - there is no argument about that in my view.

clint van damme

No but I’m saying the most corrupt PM in my life time was definitely Tony Blair and the man who really controlled the government - Alistair Campbell - there is no argument about that in my view.

I think Johnson will surpass Blair in the domestic corruption stakes, whether he out does Blairs Iraq war antics is another thing, I doubt he will.

Grendel

I think Johnson will surpass Blair in the domestic corruption stakes, whether he out does Blairs Iraq war antics is another thing, I doubt he will.

You may think that but if Mr Johnson was a Labour PM and the most honest man in the world was a Tory leader you’d still rather Mr Johnson was in power

clint van damme

You may think that but if Mr Johnson was a Labour PM and the most honest man in the world was a Tory leader you’d still rather Mr Johnson was in power

not really, I'm sick of corruption. There are plenty of countries that started out with the type of corruption we're seeing now which have gone on to be totally destroyed.
Now I appreciate we're not talking about major economies like ours but even still, it can ruin a country.
I've spoken about accountability before, and it should apply across the board.
I didn't vote for Blair in his last term, (though i didn't vote tory), because I could see he was out of control.

It’sabatch87

Joe Anderson is free atm he’s a nice upstanding member of the Labour Party if it doesn’t work out with Starmer.
Corruption is his thing!!!

NorthernWisdom

Just voted Green for town and county council, Lab/Lib for PCC.
I honestly couldn't vote for a PCC, had to spoil my paper. I have zero clue what any of them are offering, and none of them seem to want to bother to tell me.

Never ceases to amaze me how little some people bother on a small territory really. My parents' councillor basically ended up winning as an independent because over the course of a couple of elections, he actually bothered to turn up and talk to people - his politics was irrelevant really. It doesn't take *that* many votes to win a council seat, after all!

Brighton Sky Blue

I honestly couldn't vote for a PCC, had to spoil my paper. I have zero clue what any of them are offering, and none of them seem to want to bother to tell me.

Never ceases to amaze me how little some people bother on a small territory really. My parents' councillor basically ended up winning as an independent because over the course of a couple of elections, he actually bothered to turn up and talk to people - his politics was irrelevant really. It doesn't take *that* many votes to win a council seat, after all!

I would love there to be no political parties full stop

NorthernWisdom

Could be a matter of perception, but it doesn't seem any more tribal today than over the course of my interest and memory, going back to the 70s. In fact, given the total fractionalisation of the Labour party I'd say it's only more tribal in the sense that whereas as it used to be about two tribes against each other it's now about one tribal vs many the many tribes within intersectional Labour.
No, I'd agree. What seems more noteworthy to this outsider, is how the USA becomes more like us. It used to be the case you'd get a number of Mitt Romneys on either side of their divide, who'd vote against their party on certain principles, but that seems to happen less and less recently.

clint van damme

Could be a matter of perception, but it doesn't seem any more tribal today than over the course of my interest and memory, going back to the 70s. In fact, given the total fractionalisation of the Labour party I'd say it's only more tribal in the sense that whereas as it used to be about two tribes against each other it's now about one tribal vs many the many tribes within intersectional Labour.

There are also, and always have been, factions within the tories.
They've just always been good at putting their differences to one side when required which looks an impossibility for Labour.

Brighton Sky Blue

I guess what I mean is our seemingly unstoppable momentum to become like America

Users who are viewing this thread