Welcome to Sky Blues Talk!

You're currently viewing the forum as a guest. Join thousands of fellow Coventry City fans today!

Do you want to discuss boring politics? (7 Viewers)

You've had to go back to 2017. If you're looking for Tory sleaze you can break the Internet listing whats gone on this year.

⁷

Yes, the election cycle for the last term was from 5 May 2016.
 
This one would be known as Kant's Categorical Imperative.

If we all acted like this as a society then we would all be screwed.

Bit of moral philosophy to help you out.

What if we all acted like the current PM?
 
its nothing to be bothered about really

So neither are the examples being pointed out then.
Though I don't subscribe to that. Townsends behaviour was appalling, so is Johnson and his cronies in my view.
 
So neither are the examples being pointed out then.
Though I don't subscribe to that. Townsends behaviour was appalling, so is Johnson and his cronies in my view.

If he does a job that satisfies the public and you as an individual no one cares - Cameron was a rubbish prime minister but if he was a great one his lobbying would be irrelevant - it is irrelevant- he was a rubbish prime minister
 
If he does a job that satisfies the public and you as an individual no one cares - Cameron was a rubbish prime minister but if he was a great one his lobbying would be irrelevant - it is irrelevant- he was a rubbish prime minister

You're surely not suggesting Johnson is a great PM?
 
You're surely not suggesting Johnson is a great PM?

No but I’m saying the most corrupt PM in my life time was definitely Tony Blair and the man who really controlled the government - Alistair Campbell - there is no argument about that in my view.
 
No but I’m saying the most corrupt PM in my life time was definitely Tony Blair and the man who really controlled the government - Alistair Campbell - there is no argument about that in my view.

I think Johnson will surpass Blair in the domestic corruption stakes, whether he out does Blairs Iraq war antics is another thing, I doubt he will.
 
I think Johnson will surpass Blair in the domestic corruption stakes, whether he out does Blairs Iraq war antics is another thing, I doubt he will.

You may think that but if Mr Johnson was a Labour PM and the most honest man in the world was a Tory leader you’d still rather Mr Johnson was in power
 
You may think that but if Mr Johnson was a Labour PM and the most honest man in the world was a Tory leader you’d still rather Mr Johnson was in power

not really, I'm sick of corruption. There are plenty of countries that started out with the type of corruption we're seeing now which have gone on to be totally destroyed.
Now I appreciate we're not talking about major economies like ours but even still, it can ruin a country.
I've spoken about accountability before, and it should apply across the board.
I didn't vote for Blair in his last term, (though i didn't vote tory), because I could see he was out of control.
 
Corruption is nothing to be bothered about? Wow.

Keep tugging those forelocks like a good boy.
 
Joe Anderson is free atm he’s a nice upstanding member of the Labour Party if it doesn’t work out with Starmer.
Corruption is his thing!!!
 
Joe Anderson is free atm he’s a nice upstanding member of the Labour Party if it doesn’t work out with Starmer.
Corruption is his thing!!!

I don't see anyone in here defending him.

Strange point to make
 
Hope G's got a spare pair of Y-fronts handy with all this laughter
 
Just voted Green for town and county council, Lab/Lib for PCC.
 
Just voted Green for town and county council, Lab/Lib for PCC.
I honestly couldn't vote for a PCC, had to spoil my paper. I have zero clue what any of them are offering, and none of them seem to want to bother to tell me.

Never ceases to amaze me how little some people bother on a small territory really. My parents' councillor basically ended up winning as an independent because over the course of a couple of elections, he actually bothered to turn up and talk to people - his politics was irrelevant really. It doesn't take *that* many votes to win a council seat, after all!
 
I honestly couldn't vote for a PCC, had to spoil my paper. I have zero clue what any of them are offering, and none of them seem to want to bother to tell me.

Never ceases to amaze me how little some people bother on a small territory really. My parents' councillor basically ended up winning as an independent because over the course of a couple of elections, he actually bothered to turn up and talk to people - his politics was irrelevant really. It doesn't take *that* many votes to win a council seat, after all!

I would love there to be no political parties full stop
 
I would love there to be no political parties full stop
Pretty impossible, that!

tbh it's more on people to look at what their candidate offers, rather than the badge. Like voting Dennis Skinner out because you want Brexit done FFS - if anybody was going to vote eagerly for Brexit, it was him!
 
Could be a matter of perception, but it doesn't seem any more tribal today than over the course of my interest and memory, going back to the 70s. In fact, given the total fractionalisation of the Labour party I'd say it's only more tribal in the sense that whereas as it used to be about two tribes against each other it's now about one tribal vs many the many tribes within intersectional Labour.
No, I'd agree. What seems more noteworthy to this outsider, is how the USA becomes more like us. It used to be the case you'd get a number of Mitt Romneys on either side of their divide, who'd vote against their party on certain principles, but that seems to happen less and less recently.
 
Could be a matter of perception, but it doesn't seem any more tribal today than over the course of my interest and memory, going back to the 70s. In fact, given the total fractionalisation of the Labour party I'd say it's only more tribal in the sense that whereas as it used to be about two tribes against each other it's now about one tribal vs many the many tribes within intersectional Labour.

There are also, and always have been, factions within the tories.
They've just always been good at putting their differences to one side when required which looks an impossibility for Labour.
 
Could be a matter of perception, but it doesn't seem any more tribal today than over the course of my interest and memory, going back to the 70s. In fact, given the total fractionalisation of the Labour party I'd say it's only more tribal in the sense that whereas as it used to be about two tribes against each other it's now about one tribal vs many the many tribes within intersectional Labour.

I guess what I mean is our seemingly unstoppable momentum to become like America
 
There are also, and always have been, factions within the tories.
They've just always been good at putting their differences to one side when required which looks an impossibility for Labour.

Or actually doing a Stalinist purge of heretics rather than constantly threatening one. The PCP of 2021 is nothing like the PCP of 2015 in terms of breadth of ideologies.
 
There are also, and always have been, factions within the tories.
They've just always been good at putting their differences to one side when required which looks an impossibility for Labour.

100%. I honestly thought Brexit was going to tear the Tories apart (potentially for good when May was in charge). There appear to be far stronger ideological beliefs within Labour factions which I guess makes it harder for people to shift away from/give ground on
 
The SNP locally and Alba Party nationally. Should even itself out for a decent shout on independence.
 
Bizarre but each to their own

Still love you guys down there but it is about time Scotland makes her own way in the world.

Now it could be the choice of an England, Scottish, Irish or EU Passport :)
 
Last edited:
Still love you guys down there but it is about time Scotland makes her own way in the world.

Now it could be the choice of an England, Scottish, Irish or EU Passport :)

Strongly disagree with it but as I said, each to their own
 
Labour candidates knocked on the door asking the missus how we voted. Proceeded to scowl and give her a lecture when she said Green. Great way to make me regret my decision!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom