Do you want to discuss boring politics? (12 Viewers)

shmmeee

There are also, and always have been, factions within the tories.
They've just always been good at putting their differences to one side when required which looks an impossibility for Labour.

Or actually doing a Stalinist purge of heretics rather than constantly threatening one. The PCP of 2021 is nothing like the PCP of 2015 in terms of breadth of ideologies.

CCFCSteve

There are also, and always have been, factions within the tories.
They've just always been good at putting their differences to one side when required which looks an impossibility for Labour.

100%. I honestly thought Brexit was going to tear the Tories apart (potentially for good when May was in charge). There appear to be far stronger ideological beliefs within Labour factions which I guess makes it harder for people to shift away from/give ground on

Philosorapter

The SNP locally and Alba Party nationally. Should even itself out for a decent shout on independence.

Philosorapter

Labour candidates knocked on the door asking the missus how we voted. Proceeded to scowl and give her a lecture when she said Green. Great way to make me regret my decision!

Douglas Adams answered this the best.

"It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Philosorapter

Plato nailed it as well.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.

Brighton Sky Blue

Douglas Adams answered this the best.

"It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

My PhD supervisor said ‘don’t worry, if you ever really screw up in life you can always enter politics’

Philosorapter

And just in case anyone thought I was totally anti Cov Labour.

Spy report from my mother. Duggins came knocking on the house door yesterday. She was impressed. Sorting out her little issue.

Philosorapter

I think the most interesting thing to watch for will be the Scottish results.

It's on the East side of Scotland you need to watch out for. This side is the part of Scotland which are more likely not to vote for the SNP regionally.

The addition of the second Scottish independence party in the Parliament vote may tip the balance for independence against the Tories, Labour and Lib Dems etc but again the seats that are most likely to change first are the Edinburgh side which are a lot more conservative in their views.

it's a werid voting system up here, and 16+ allowed to vote.

Brighton Sky Blue

It's on the East side of Scotland you need to watch out for. This side is the part of Scotland which are more likely not to vote for the SNP regionally.

The addition of the second Scottish independence party in the Parliament vote may tip the balance for independence against the Tories, Labour and Lib Dems etc but again the seats that are most likely to change first are the Edinburgh side which are a lot more conservative in their views.

I lived on the east coast for the best part of a decade, Mrs BSB from the NE corner which was SNP heartland, now mostly Tory. There are two Scotlands really, the quite left wing central belt and well, everywhere else.

'It's not fair that Westminster is biased towards SE England! Now, how about centralising everything in Glasgow?'

Ian1779

Allowing 16+ to vote is a good thing both Scotland and Wales are doing.

Grendel

Facebook is absolutely full of right leaning 50+ year olds now

The younger generations are moving away from Facebook and its very much the social media platform of choice for the boomers and they believe literally anything they reach on Facebook.

The boomers like racist shit on Facebook

Philosorapter

Allowing 16+ to vote is a good thing both Scotland and Wales are doing.

I agree. It's part of Citizenship. Would prefer PR as well. to get away from the two-party system. One day though we will have Direct Democracy. The technology is there and we finally get rid of personal interest groups like political parties.

Grendel

Evo1883

I voted ... Labour

at this point its like tourettes it just happens
giphy.gif

Reactions: PVA

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

under 21s shouldn’t be allowed the vote

Why? Plenty of adults that haven't got a clue politically so why should they get to vote? Lots of people that have never experienced much of life outside their own little bubble, be that due to wealth or poverty, if they're in the arts, sciences, business. What gives them the right to have a say on all those other things they have no idea on? Plenty of kids of 16, or even younger, that will have more experience on what it's like to deal with the issues that affect most people in this country today than JRM ever has or will.

Should we argue over-80's shouldn't get the vote because they're much more likely to be in cognitive decline?

Evo1883

Why? Plenty of adults that haven't got a clue politically so why should they get to vote? Lots of people that have never experienced much of life outside their own little bubble, be that due to wealth or poverty, if they're in the arts, sciences, business. What gives them the right to have a say on all those other things they have no idea on? Plenty of kids of 16, or even younger, that will have more experience on what it's like to deal with the issues that affect most people in this country today than JRM ever has or will.

Should we argue over-80's shouldn't get the vote because they're much more likely to be in cognitive decline?

I'd imagine you'd be just as happy for 16 year old to have a vote if they were likely to vote conservative yea ?
Let's be honest there's only 1 reason you want to give 16 year olds the vote , because they are likely to vote your way.

Ian1779

I'd imagine you'd be just as happy for 16 year old to have a vote if they were likely to vote conservative yea ?
Let's be honest there's only 1 reason you want to give 16 year olds the vote , because they are likely to vote your way.
That’s bollocks. It’s their future and they should have a right to contribute their opinions.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It's up to them to make their own mind up. These days I reckon most would vote something like Green or Lib Dem and so not affect the difference much between the two main parties.

I just think saying "16 year olds shouldn't be given the vote" purely due to age isn't a strong argument when there's plenty of people of all ages who're just as clueless as they are, both left and right.

Users who are viewing this thread