Do you want to discuss boring politics? (13 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
Fuck sake, nobody should be that obsessed with politics. No different people obsessed with religion and would kill over it.

Awful news.

PVA

2 MPs murdered in just over 5 years.

What the fuck. Fucking shitshow.

Not just in this country mind, the whole world seems to be divided against each other.

TomRad85

This is what happens when people don't even see people with different political beliefs to them as human. As said above, social media plays a huge part in this, people find echo chambers and work themselves into a frenzy.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Evo1883

In regards to the social media comments made earlier by several of us ..

Twitter (one of the worst places ) is already a huge point scoring mess , yes we've all done it in the past on various issues ..but ultimately

Somebody has died

Hertsccfc

This is what happens when people don't even see people with different political beliefs to them as human. As said above, social media plays a huge part in this, people find echo chambers and work themselves into a frenzy.

Maybe but we don't know yet what the circumstances are as far as I am aware

PVA

Social media is a cancer on society.

Yes there's lots of things to like about it but it has lead to so much division and ultimately it has made the world a worse place.

NorthernWisdom

Twitter (one of the worst places ) is already a huge point scoring mess , yes we've all done it in the past on various issues ..but ultimately

Somebody has died
tbf, most of the ones in the latest are exactly as they should be - that politics is irrelevant atm, and people deserve to be safe in their place of work.

Evo1883

Social media is a cancer on society.

Yes there's lots of things to like about it but it has lead to so much division and ultimately it has made the world a worse place.
Ofcourse , an overload of information at places that are also designed to keep us coming back for more , with the free ability to comment and say what we want with no consequences 99% of the time ... what could go wrong.

The fucking taliban are on twitter ffs

It's all a big mess .

chiefdave

What a horrific thing to happen. RIP.
We do need to do something don't we, it's gone beyond its original intentions
I don't know what the answer is but we need to dial things down. From the top down its now all about defending your chosen stance no matter what with no room for debate. We need to move away from cheap point scoring & looking to catch people out and somehow try and bring the people of the country together.
I replied to your original post before I saw he'd tragically died and almost made a comment that people would be trawling social media looking for posts liked by the scum bag who stabbed him to use as 'proof' of their point of view but hoped people wouldn't sink that low, I was obviously wrong.

shmmeee

Somebody has died

I must have a well curated Twitter because mine is unanimously sad and outraged.

Evo1883

I must have a well curated Twitter because mine is unanimously sad and outraged.

I don't have a twitter account, I actually look at trending then click the trends to view through twitter search.

I usually use it for football related stuff and trends, and coventry city and coventry fans pictures / videos

Angela rayner is getting it in the neck right now tbh

Philosorapter

From the Independent

"Counter-terror police are involved in the early investigation into the stabbing and are working to establish the potential motivation.

There has not yet been any confirmation of whether the incident is being considered terror-related."

shmmeee

What a horrific thing to happen. RIP.

I don't know what the answer is but we need to dial things down. From the top down its now all about defending your chosen stance no matter what with no room for debate. We need to move away from cheap point scoring, looking to catch people out and somehow try and bring the people of the country together.

The place I’ve come to over time from a strongly libertarian starting point, and it sounds scarily like Loki in the first Avengers is that people need some level of authority, at least in media and information terms.

We are spectacularly bad at interpreting information and have a whole load of neural shortcuts that, aside from a weird bug with cat pictures, all seem to trend to a nasty place.

Without controls the most effective and efficient route to success online or in politics (which is basically online too now) is to tap into those fear and greed centres. Look at the stage of the Cov Telegraph post internet. And it’s not some evil dude say twiddling his moustache saying “let’s do clickbait”, it’s a bunch of people suddenly fighting in the most competitive marketplace amongst tons of free competition, trying to find whatever works to stay afloat.

And you can’t turn it off. I don’t see how you can go back to trusted news sources and sensible political standards. There’ll always be the ability to get your message out widely and build an audience and with it power and money.

It almost worked in the old days with limited choice controlled tightly. But there’s no going back to that. Even if we wanted to morally, which I’m not sure we do.

One thing I don’t think is that well suddenly evolve the capability to process all the info coming at us and it’s ability to trigger our buttons.

NorthernWisdom

I don't have a twitter account, I actually look at trending them click the trends to view through twitter search.I usually use it for football related stuff and trends, and coventry city and coventry fans pictures / videosAngela reynar is getting it in the neck right now tbh

Taken at a random time from the latest. I've stripped out the reports from mirror, BBC, and Sky that ended up there. I could have gone on, but I have some real work to do. The overwhelming sense is just a simple RIP, with the occasional person wanting to draw in politics.

Tragic murder of Sir David Amess. RIP.

Non political

RIP David Amess.

Non political.

We are shocked to hear of the stabbing of MP Sir David Amess during his constituency surgery - our thoughts are with him at this difficult time.

Non political

Shocking news about the MP David Amess

Non political.

Police have just announced the death of a man at the surgery where Sir David Amess was stabbed. May he rest in peace.

Non political.

Tory MP David Amess has died following horrific knife attack in Essex church

Non political
David Amess MP dies after being stabbed at constituency office, police say

Non political.
Sir David Amess* Truly applying attack. May he rest in peace.
Non political.
Sir David Amess MP just died.

Non political.

Just sickening. I hope David Amess pulls through.

Non political.

I remember David Amess from Brass Eye, he was superb in that, whether he was figured in or not I will leave that to others, terrible to hear what has happened today, and I hope he gets well soon, shame on #Twitter for making an environment where this is possible at this time

Political.

SBT

Without meaning to diminish the role that social media has played in polarizing our society, when you're talking about platforms of this scale, it's hardly news that you can go on and find people saying awful things about terrible situations. It's always been there, social media just lets you find it quickly if you want to (which you can argue is exactly the problem etc etc).

chiefdave

The place I’ve come to over time from a strongly libertarian starting point, and it sounds scarily like Loki in the first Avengers is that people need some level of authority, at least in media and information terms.

We are spectacularly bad at interpreting information and have a whole load of neural shortcuts that, aside from a weird bug with cat pictures, all seem to trend to a nasty place.

Without controls the most effective and efficient route to success online or in politics (which is basically online too now) is to tap into those fear and greed centres. Look at the stage of the Cov Telegraph post internet. And it’s not some evil dude say twiddling his moustache saying “let’s do clickbait”, it’s a bunch of people suddenly fighting in the most competitive marketplace amongst tons of free competition, trying to find whatever works to stay afloat.

And you can’t turn it off. I don’t see how you can go back to trusted news sources and sensible political standards. There’ll always be the ability to get your message out widely and build an audience and with it power and money.

It almost worked in the old days with limited choice controlled tightly. But there’s no going back to that. Even if we wanted to morally, which I’m not sure we do.

One thing I don’t think is that well suddenly evolve the capability to process all the info coming at us and it’s ability to trigger our buttons.
There's definitely something in the 'bad at interpreting information' thing. Remember when we all thought the problem was people not having access to information that was the issue? The internet has certainly shown that theory to be wrong.

We've reached this bizarre situation where people just dismiss things they don't agree with or that don't fit their point of view. I was talking to my Dad a while back and mentioned something Johnson had said, can't even remember what it was now, and he didn't believe Johnson would have said that so I pulled up the interview and played it to him. He's literally sat there watching Johnson speak and after that still didn't believe it!

skybluetony176

It’s not just social media. You’ve had many MP’s and indeed cabinet members using words like betrayal, surrender and traitors to describe other MP’s and prominent members of society. When words Boris used were replicated in death threats to female MP’s and it was suggested that he was inciting hatred he dismissed it. Humbug I think was the exact word he used to dismiss it. Any changes in behaviour needs to start at the top. You can’t expect wider society to change when the PM, MP’s and people of prominence with a platform are openly promoting hatred in a phoney culture war.

Evo1883

It’s not just social media. You’ve had many MP’s and indeed cabinet members using words like betrayal, surrender and traitors to describe other MP’s and prominent members of society. When words Boris used were replicated in death threats to female MP’s and it was suggested that he was inciting hatred he dismissed it. Humbug I think was the exact word he used to dismiss it. Any changes in behaviour needs to start at the top. You can’t expect wider society to change when the PM, MP’s and people of prominence with a platform are openly promoting hatred in a phoney culture war.

That's why raynar is getting it in the neck on twitter for saying tory scum .

We say it on here fair enough , not the same is it ?

shmmeee

There's definitely something in the 'bad at interpreting information' thing. Remember when we all thought the problem was people not having access to information that was the issue? The internet has certainly shown that theory to be wrong.

We've reached this bizarre situation where people just dismiss things they don't agree with or that don't fit their point of view. I was talking to my Dad a while back and mentioned something Johnson had said, can't even remember what it was now, and he didn't believe Johnson would have said that so I pulled up the interview and played it to him. He's literally sat there watching Johnson speak and after that still didn't believe it!

I remember a year 8 class once with about half absolutely convinced pedophiles we’re watching you through an app on your phone and you could see them if you looked into the screen.

There I was with a degree in Computer Science literally employed to educate them about technology, telling them it was completely impossible to see someone by looking into a screen or camera. And all I kept getting back was “but my Nan shared it on Facebook”. You can’t bypass that trust in friends and family over authority figures so now your Nan knows more about computing than the guy employed to do so.

Grendel

That's why raynar is getting it in the neck on twitter for saying tory scum .

We say it on here fair enough , not the same is it ?

Most definitely it is not - her position is indefensible

TomRad85

You are unbelievable sometimes Tony. Seriously.

Evo1883

Point in case , same language , used to justify the incident pretty much .
I know these people are a serious minority , but it only takes 1 person Screenshot_20211015-161920_Chrome.jpg

The other day when IDS was hit with a cone , I made light work of it , suggesting that their policies are making people angry and its not totally a shock that somebody was taking matters into their own hands , however I never once thought that this was the outcome , the eventuality .. when in reality none of it is ok is it ?

It's a shock to say the least what's happened today and nobody deserves to die for their political beliefs in a functioning society

Grendel

You are unbelievable sometimes Tony. Seriously.Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

just ignore him. He is still trying to get get likes and backslaps from people like PVA and o day when an Mp had died - he should have a ban from here - he’s not even interested in the football at all

skybluetony176

just ignore him. He is still trying to get get likes and backslaps from people like PVA and o day when an Mp had died - he should have a ban from here - he’s not even interested in the football at all
Yeah okay. Says the man who’s only interested in the football threads when we’re losing.

I’m making a valid point. You can’t have a conversation about unknown individuals behaviour on social media and ignore MP’s openly inciting hatred on line, in the media and even in the House of Commons. Grow up.

PVA

Says the bloke who's first reaction to it is something about racist homophobes and whose second reaction is 'Angela Rayner's position is indefensible'

Fucking prick.

Users who are viewing this thread