Do you want to discuss boring politics? (10 Viewers)

Grendel

Wrong. But also not what you stated.

And what about this common market you say about and how do you explain Scotland joining the EU without a solid border between Scotland and England? Would be more of a hard sell than Ireland is.

You can't actually join the EU unless you meet certain criteria which Scotland don't - the implication the EU will just break their own rules to suit is also hardly a ringing endorsement of the EU and an admission they are chancers. Either way its impossible to join the Euro on day one so the Westminster parliament needs to suspend the pound the minute the referendum is concluded if its is independence - no country in existence has created a currency in a day and Scotland would be looking at Zimbabwe inflation levels

skybluetony176

Wrong. But also not what you stated.

And what about this common market you say about and how do you explain Scotland joining the EU without a solid border between Scotland and England? Would be more of a hard sell than Ireland is.
We don’t police the border between the UK and EU for goods. We are waving goods arriving from the EU straight through. The EU doesn’t have hard borders with many non EU countries. A soft land border between Endland and Scotland as an EU member has a precedent.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Didn't work last time in Scotland but if you believed what was being said at the time you would have thought it would at least be close.

Last time they hadn't had a referendum where immediately after they voted to stay the govt backtracked massively on the promises made to them and turned into a conversation about what it meant for England. Lib Dems were in coalition at the time and at the time they polled well in Scotland. Now it's full-on Tory and looks like remaining that way for some time to come, not to mention that this shower are totally incompetent, self-serving and South-East/Londoncentric. Scotland overwhelmingly voted to remain in the EU.

The GE prior to the independence ref the SNP had 6 seats and got just under 500k votes. The one after got 56 seats and nearly 1.5m votes. 2017 they lost a bit but 2019 they went back up to 48 seats and 1.25m votes.

There is a part of me right now that would love to be able to claim independence from the dickheads in Westminster and I'm English. So god knows how I'd feel if I was Scottish.

If you think the situation is the same as last time then I think you've got your head in the sand.

The irony for me is the person most likely to put Scots off independence is Sturgeon, while the ones most likely to make them vote to leave the Union is Boris and the Tories.

skybluetony176

You can't actually join the EU unless you meet certain criteria which Scotland don't - the implication the EU will just break their own rules to suit is also hardly a ringing endorsement of the EU and an admission they are chancers. Either way its impossible to join the Euro on day one so the Westminster parliament needs to suspend the pound the minute the referendum is concluded if its is independence - no country in existence has created a currency in a day and Scotland would be looking at Zimbabwe inflation levels
Neither did East Germany when it joined. Also Scotland doesn’t have to specifically rejoin the EU to gain access to the single market.

Jesus Christ. Zimbabwean inflation levels. Even by your standards that’s a serious piece of whataboutery. Zimbabwe is a good example of dismissing your claims about no country ever creating a currency in a day. Zimbabwe did just that and saw steady growth in its economy for about 2 decades until the land reforms, which along with other awful decisions in the same period triggered hyperinflation.

shmmeee

Labour need to gain over 100 seats to even get near forming a government. And even if this somehow happened it’s going to be a contest between who can rip on public services and young people the most to clinch the 50+ Daily Mail vote.

My main gripe is just being in a real minority of opinion in a country that’s drifting further right

Not sure how you figure that. We’ve got the most left wing Tory govenrment of my lifetime right now.

Evo1883

Deary me .

There must be some way to bring the collective anger down In this country .

Feels like we are at a constant state of boiling point from every angle.

Perspective somewhat

shmmeee

Deary me .

There must be some way to bring the collective anger down In this country .

Feels like we are in a constant state of boiling point from every angle.

Perspective somewhat

Shut down social media. Not even sure if I’m joking.

Astute

If you think the situation is the same as last time then I think you've got your head in the sand.

The irony for me is the person most likely to put Scots off independence is Sturgeon
So we agree that a main part of the situation is the same?

And as I said earlier they would need money from somewhere. They spend much more than comes in tax.

shmmeee

There's death threats knocking about in gaming communities if an update didn't go to plan ffs.

People don’t see each other as human or the internet as real life. I think somewhere like this that’s self contained manages it among each other but some of the shit that gets written about politicians, councillors, members of the SBT etc shows outside these “walls” it’s the same attitude.

Indont think the vast majority mean it more than blowing off some steam or being edgy but the small amount of nutters read it and it fires them up or legitimises them.

Nothing challenges my belief in freedom of speech like social media.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

So we agree that a main part of the situation is the same?

And as I said earlier they would need money from somewhere. They spend much more than comes in tax.

I know they do. Large sections of England that got significantly more back from the EU than they put in voted Leave though. And through that decision now have massive deficits in their funding.

No doubt it will be sold on the basis that they can rejoin the EU and get funding from that or some nonsense about having control of their own tax dollars will allow them to better meet the priorities of the Scottish people.

You seem to believe that people will make well thought out, rational decisions. For some Scots the economic pain from leaving the Union would be well worth getting rid of those English overlord bastards. Just like some in England felt the only important thing was taking back control and getting rid of the EU overlord bastards. Didn't matter what might happen afterwards, as long as we got rid of them.

Basically how we thought about the Europeans is how Scots think about the English,

Reactions: COV

Nick

Administrator
I actually meant no as in now isn't the time.

I know....

I clearly couldn't give a shit about how he voted but was mocking the whole political obsession. Even on social media it's "I'm not a tory lover but..."

You don't need to be a tory lover to think it's fucking pathetic that somebody wants to go and stab somebody at their place of work.

It looks like the person has been arrested, pretty sure it's terrorism too.

hill83

I know....

I clearly couldn't give a shit about how he voted but was mocking the whole political obsession. Even on social media it's "I'm not a tory lover but..."

You don't need to be a tory lover to think it's fucking pathetic that somebody wants to go and stab somebody at their place of work.

It looks like the person has been arrested, pretty sure it's terrorism too.

By getting in there first on here.

Astute

I know they do. Large sections of England that got significantly more back from the EU than they put in voted Leave though. And through that decision now have massive deficits in their funding.

No doubt it will be sold on the basis that they can rejoin the EU and get funding from that or some nonsense about having control of their own tax dollars will allow them to be meet the priorities of the Scottish people.

You seem to believe that people will make well thought out, rational decisions. For some Scots the economic pain from leaving the Union would be well worth getting rid of those English overlord bastards. Just like some in England felt the only important thing was taking back control and getting rid of the EU overlord bastards. Didn't matter what might happen afterwards, as long as we got rid of them.

Basically how we thought about the Europeans is how Scots think about the English,
Some want independence no matter what the cost. But most are realistic.

My daughter in law is one of the first lot. We had a good chat about it at the time of the referendum. She didn't know we pay for our prescriptions. She didn't know about the finances. But she still voted for independence 😆🤣

Users who are viewing this thread