Match Thread Coventry City - Preston North End FC Match Thread - Friday 23rd Feb (4 Viewers)

Deity

We don’t have depth out wide, this is why Tavares had to start last week and why we have similar issues on the left if Wright doesn’t play there.

Which comes down to us spending heavily on the assumption of 5-3-2 which is just a spent force of a system.
I agree with that.

However up until the final day of the window we had EMC agreed and coming. Posh moved the goalposts by their own admission when they couldn’t secure his replacement.

Brighton Sky Blue

I agree with that.

However up until the final day of the window we had EMC agreed and coming. Posh moved the goalposts by their own admission when they couldn’t secure his replacement.
And what if wingers don’t work out next season, where does he fit in then?

We’re spending very big money to still end up short on players.

Deity

King model is based on investment for greater return. Young player’s who have potential to be sold on for profit. which is great when it works. however for every Torp you have a simms. for every EMC you could have a wright. it’s a risky business when squad is stretched and young players confidence is impacted.

2 key points for me. 1. Robins is frustrated with the squad. changing the team doesn’t help his cause. no fluidity in the team when that happens. ohare since dropped, has looked off it. Thomas looks lost since being dropped. we looked our best when we had a constant 11

2 and most importantly. with a young team comes performances like tonight and the past few games. how they react is big indicator if a player makes it to the top. next 4-5 games will show what character this new group of players have
You mean the same model that Brighton, Brentford et all all adopt and we were crying out for Sisu to do but they wanted to just bleed the club dry. Yes King really is the problem. 🙄

SeaSeeEffCee

You mean the same model that Brighton, Brentford et all all adopt and we were crying out for Sisu to do but they wanted to just bleed the club dry. Yes King really is the problem. 🙄
Yeah but counterpoint, the prawn sandwich boys have to pay more

Londonccfcfan

We were shit against a garbage team..made them look half decent.

Don't buy the pressing bollocks...goals were absolute howlers and mistakes.

They pressed no more than anymore sides. We were just shockingly bad.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Tats didn’t pick up an injury through fatigue. He was picked because he’s one of our best players. If we had bought a loan in Tats would still have played.

I too would have loved a couple more additions but I don’t buy the whole lack of squad depth bullshit. We have much greater depth this year than last and we still made the play off final.

what we did have last season was a really settled back 3 for the final run in and Robins needs to choose his best back 4 and let them find some form.

agree with most of this but I’m not sure you can say we have ‘much greater depth’ this year, we own more players and our defence is pretty well stacked, but we have next to no cover on the right, very light in midfield, and if you were super critical we are also lacking up front

I think that lack of strength in depth will be what may prevent us from reaching the playoffs this season and / or getting promoted, and it’s frustrating when you think a couple of well planned signings might have been the difference, and we could have capitalised on the good work prior to end of Jan, but if there’s a longer term plan in place so be it!

lifeskyblue

Poor night from minute one. Never turned up and poor performances from too many players. Simms for me was the only one to come away with any credit (first half at least). Lati and Eccles just don’t work in midfield as a pairing. No leadership on the field and no real togetherness tonight (for the first time this season). Thought the subs strange…why risk Torp when the game had already gone…why not bring on Kelly earlier when he clearly needs minutes especially if he starts Monday.
Feel we haven’t really played well since Leicester game (possibly Norwich away) and results have masked the performances. Today we got found out by an efficient and effective side who were given three goals but were rarely troubled.
Need to start strongly v Maidstone and get a bit of confidence and belief back in the side; hopefully the perfect opportunity to bounce back and start a winning streak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GIMOC

it only works if you bring the right players in.

If simms and wright both end up flops. we’re stuck with 2 players no one wants on high wages. you have to be lucky in getting a whole team of players like torp, like mve. if you don’t, you end up with deadwood while one or two players go onto better things. risks are high. for every Brighton you have a Middlesbrough. Hopefully we end up like Brighton and Brentford but it’s not a guarantee

pusbccfc

King model is based on investment for greater return. Young player’s who have potential to be sold on for profit. which is great when it works. however for every Torp you have a simms. for every EMC you could have a wright. it’s a risky business when squad is stretched and young players confidence is impacted.

2 key points for me. 1. Robins is frustrated with the squad. changing the team doesn’t help his cause. no fluidity in the team when that happens. ohare since dropped, has looked off it. Thomas looks lost since being dropped. we looked our best when we had a constant 11

2 and most importantly. with a young team comes performances like tonight and the past few games. how they react is big indicator if a player makes it to the top. next 4-5 games will show what character this new group of players have

Which doesn't fit the bill for Sakamoto and Haji who cost a collective £10m+? Did Robins sign these off?

Sounds to me like Robins isn't having much say in all of this?

CCFCSteve

it only works if you bring the right players in.

If simms and wright both end up flops. we’re stuck with 2 players no one wants on high wages. you have to be lucky in getting a whole team of players like torp, like mve. if you don’t, you end up with deadwood while one or two players go onto better things. risks are high. for every Brighton you have a Middlesbrough. Hopefully we end up like Brighton and Brentford but it’s not a guarantee

Wrights got 10 goals and 5 assists.

pusbccfc

These stats very deceiving imo

since coming back from injury, he’s had one good game. Millwall. Pen and keeper mistake. he’s been non existent in the vast majority of games since coming back. big concern

It's a good point, he has been.

But then again, who has been good since Leicester?

SkyBlue_Bear83

I don’t know how else he’s been playing JDS over Bidwell. Collins has also been dropped for no reason despite being better than Wilson.
Not really sure why he played Wilson over Collins, think it was more of a case of just making a change and then keeping a winning team. Expect Collins to be back in soon tbh.

I think it's clear though he favours da Silva over bidwell and has been waiting for an opportunity to drop bidwell

No one believes a word you say you clown, close down the account ans start again mate.

GIMOC

Which doesn't fit the bill for Sakamoto and Haji who cost a collective £10m+? Did Robins sign these off?

Sounds to me like Robins isn't having much say in all of this?

not sure on wright but he is only 25. Tatz was a stroke of luck. Cov were there to look at another player on the night (different team) and Sakamoto caught Scout eye and knowing his club finance position, saw a bargain

pusbccfc

not sure on wright but he is only 25. Tatz was a stroke of luck. Cov were there to look at another player on the night (different team) and Sakamoto caught Scout eye and knowing his club finance position, saw a bargain

Just think it seems a bit confusing.

I agree we are short on numbers but we've also spend £6m this window and nearly £25m since June.

We've clearly had the funds to strengthen in numbers but someone clearly has a strategy of quality over quantity. That's fine, if you get lucky with injuries. We haven't.

The funds are being spent in interesting ways. Haji is a funny signing. That sort of money is mental for a club like us. We've clearly got a wage cap and that has stopped us adding loans or the likes of John Swift. It's going to stop us from signing O'Hare up.

It's a tough balance because we could have brought in 4 players and they could have been poor instead of signing Torp who really does look a class above.

pusbccfc

I think some are being way too harsh on GIMOC. Nothing he's saying is controversial and it's hardly unbelievable.

JoeCCFCPUSB

Clear pattern, when we start DaSilva our defence is run ragged and exposed, he is piss poor and simply cannot play in that position. We then have Binks, Bobby Thomas and Kitching, Binks while decent on the ball is lightweight and lacks the commanding presence needed as a centre back in a really tough division. Bobby is unreliable, inconsistent, rash and quite frankly not the level required for a top 6 side. Kitching is a tough one, can he slot in with another top quality centre back, i am unsure.
Where do you go with Simms? he just doesn't look good enough either.

One thing's for sure tho, this result has been coming for a while and it really shows just how poor our defence is when our forwards aren't firing.

napolimp

We were shit against a garbage team..made them look half decent.

Don't buy the pressing bollocks...goals were absolute howlers and mistakes.

They pressed no more than anymore sides. We were just shockingly bad.

Agreed.

What I thought was interesting was that even though we were awful on the night, and by the sounds of it Preston put on one of their best performances of the season, the actual stats were actually even - slightly in our favour - and their goals consisted of 1. Starting half asleep, JDS being shit, giving away a corner, and everyone switching off, 2. JDS being shit, 100% our mistake and avoidable, 3. Thomas booting the ball into his own net, when their forward had got no where near it.

Goals aside, I don't recall many decent chances they had. That's a play off rival, we beat ourselves really.

Covcraig@bury

That was utter shite . A pub team performance at its very best . Maidstone might just think they have a chance on Monday ,and I might have to agree if we turn up as we did against Preston. Playing Torp was crazy the game was already lost .
If Sako’s injury is as bad as it looked and the rumours are correct his playing days are over , fingers crossed it was nothing too serious.
we are getting a little thin in CM also.
As for the playoffs I’m not sure we have enough in this side to make the top six as it stands. But we carry on and hope we get some luck , still plenty of point to play for .

Astute

we had this problem against Watford here early on in the season in the crazy game - and at the time, MR said we need to learn how to play against a strong high press…

That was 3rd (?) home game of the season way back in September.

have we learned anything? 🤔
Their game plan worked better than they hoped. It was all too predictable. They pushed forward even without the ball. Our reply was to sit back. If they lost the ball we had to go forward and get past their players. If we lost the ball we were outnumbered at times at the back. And because we sat back so much there was no way forward quickly. By the time we got the ball up forward they had 7 or 8 players back. Then if we lost the ball the break was on.

If we had left 2 or 3 players up the pitch it would have been a different game. Punt it long to them. Push forward as a unit. Put the pressure on them. But we didn't even seem to try.

Personally I think this one is on Robins. Not a time to attempt pretty football. Outmuscled all over the pitch. Sat back without even trying to play on the counter with speed. And the ref was awful which didn't help.

We will move on from this. But if other sides notice we don't even have a plan A against a high press we will struggle.

The one bit of praise I have for Preston is their fitness levels. They ran around for the whole 90 minutes and were still going strong at the end.

Users who are viewing this thread