Match Thread Coventry City - Preston North End FC Match Thread - Friday 23rd Feb (2 Viewers)

djr8369

I also thought the referee was extremely kind to Preston all night , although it had little bearing on the result
a y idea w

Their game plan worked better than they hoped. It was all too predictable. They pushed forward even without the ball. Our reply was to sit back. If they lost the ball we had to go forward and get past their players. If we lost the ball we were outnumbered at times at the back. And because we sat back so much there was no way forward quickly. By the time we got the ball up forward they had 7 or 8 players back. Then if we lost the ball the break was on.

If we had left 2 or 3 players up the pitch it would have been a different game. Punt it long to them. Push forward as a unit. Put the pressure on them. But we didn't even seem to try.

Personally I think this one is on Robins. Not a time to attempt pretty football. Outmuscled all over the pitch. Sat back without even trying to play on the counter with speed. And the ref was awful which didn't help.

We will move on from this. But if other sides notice we don't even have a plan A against a high press we will struggle.

The one bit of praise I have for Preston is their fitness levels. They ran around for the whole 90 minutes and were still going strong at the end.
We’ve been targeted with a high press in probably the last 10 or so games and been struggling with it. Frustratingly we don’t seem to have come up with any plan to negate it. If we we do play it long to Simms there’s never anyone near him.

Tommo1993

Haven’t thought at any point this season that we’d finish top 6. We’ve looked wobbly and unconvincing for weeks now so last night’s early forfeit comes as no massive surprise. I would go for strongest team possible lineup on Monday to put some of it right. Moore had his clangers but is he really that far behind either GK?…The big theme of this season is we really, really cannot handle a high press.

Would also like to start seeing Liam Kelly in the team more.

TomRad85

Haven’t thought at any point this season that we’d finish top 6. We’ve looked wobbly and unconvincing for weeks now so last night’s early forfeit comes as no massive surprise. I would go for strongest team possible lineup on Monday to put some of it right. Moore had his clangers but is he really that far behind either GK?…

Yeh Kelly has to come in for Lati in midfield now. Every now and then Robins needs a complete disaster to kill off one of his experiments. I think that was another one last night, hopefully.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

edgy

I'm not one for just lumping it. But anyone with any footballing brains can see we aren't very good under a press.

Teams have worked that out and we continue to do the same things, week after week, that get us in trouble.

DaSilva was Exhibit A last night. Get the ball out of the press when under heavy pressure.

EalingSB

Haven’t thought at any point this season that we’d finish top 6. We’ve looked wobbly and unconvincing for weeks now so last night’s early forfeit comes as no massive surprise. I would go for strongest team possible lineup on Monday to put some of it right. Moore had his clangers but is he really that far behind either GK?…The big theme of this season is we really, really cannot handle a high press.

Agree with the first half of this but completely disagree with the second half. Moore was completely shot last season which was sad to see. Collins is easily no1 for me and I don’t think he’s done anything wrong. Get him back in the team ASAP.

Sky Blue Harry H

No. The answer is to decide your best back 4 and keeper then get them properly drilled.

And stop with this bullshit of defending corners with everyone back.

Wright and Simms are tall, and the majority of the team are not that big, so if we leave anybody up the pitch it needs to be C O'H (or similar, stature wise)

Brighton Sky Blue

Wright and Simms are tall, and the majority of the team are not that big, so if we leave anybody up the pitch it needs to be C O'H (or similar, stature wise)
It shouldn’t be ‘if’. Leave 3 players up and force the opposition to keep players back while reducing the defensive work of your players still in the box.

CCFCSteve

Lost three in something like 23 and the snides with their axes to grind are out again. Kings not spent any money (7m in Jan and kept ohare), new players aren’t good enough (lost 3 in 23, beating Leicester and drawing against Southampton and leeds) etc etc. Fixtures list hasn’t been kind, got a chance to get into quarters of FA cup which has led to more games and picked up some injuries recently. That’s football

It isn’t the depth (although would’ve been good to get a couple of loans) so much as the rotation, especially backline and with the volume of games that would happen even with extra bodies. look at the bench last night compared to points of last season and it’s night and day.

We’ve pretty much had to rebuild the whole squad in two transfer windows FFS, some need to get a bit of a grip….or join the phone light wavers (still can’t believe what I saw) and mid game boo’ers and do one

CCFCSteve

Simms’ main job is to score goals and be an attacking threat, not to learn man marking at corners.

Doesn’t quite work like that though, especially against a big team at set pieces. Think most are in agreement though that with our team, good on the counter, we should definitely leave a couple up…..just need Wilson to claim the cross and we’ll be away 😊

Brighton Sky Blue

Doesn’t quite work like that though, especially against a big team at set pieces. Think most are in agreement though that with our team, good on the counter, we should definitely leave a couple up…..just need Wilson to claim the cross and we’ll be away 😊
We should have enough height in there without needing all our attacking players defending too.

procdoc

We always have a stinker at some point. Last night was that stinker.
We need to get Wilson out of goal. Contrary to what Astute says he does not command his area and the defence have zero confidence in him. I’d rather play Binks at left back than Dasilva, at least he’s not a dwarf and he can defend. Bidwell should start every game now until the end of the season though

alexccfc99

I was more mortified with our performance last night than I was impressed by PNE's

They're a well drilled side who run about a lot but they caught us on the right night, they were playing at their peak and we were playing at our worst probably since we come back to the championship

We'd have shipped three goals to Bedworth United last night

Garlana86

Weren't we doing really well with Ewijk, Bobby, kitchen and Bidwell at the back? I thought that was our best defence, it almost feels like dropping Bidwell was done to force making da Silva work, like, "we signed this guy to replace the other guy, but the other guy still being better wasn't part of the plan!"

Honestly, I think most of us know that the real problems started when we lost sheaf, sheaf was one of if not the best mid at doing what he did (most tackles in the league at the time of I recall) which we lack now, I appreciate my pessimism is out on full force, but losing tats as well now had made a play offs push seem a stretch.

Gibbo

You were all right after all, Lati and Eccles were good enough in midfield and Binks strong and the back. I was wrong Da Silva had a great game at full back. All my doubts were wrong, we really pasted Preston......Except we didn't

Terry Gibson's perm

I’m all for leaving a couple up at corners but when dumb dumb in goal gets it he needs to get it to them not stand there in amazement he caught it or boot it aimlessly.

The back four should be MVE Thomas kitching and Bidwell with Collins in goal, Binks is powder puff and Da Silva is to small and think he is better on the ball than he is.

Johnnythespider

I don’t think it’ll make any difference to tatz if I say something I was told or not. very strange pov you have. isn’t the forum about cov and giving info when it’s given?
Unless you got your "info" from one of the medical staff it's third hand hearsay, you also only ever convey negative info, you remind me of Sgt Oddball in Kelly's Heroes with your negative vibes.

Screenshot_20240224-103917.png

Grendel

I don’t think it’ll make any difference to tatz if I say something I was told or not. very strange pov you have. isn’t the forum about cov and giving info when it’s given?

The point is it’s just rumours. It’s not info but passed on speculation.

He will be diagnosed in hospital. He’s surely allowed some privacy and respect until official news is given.

Rumours of back, spine, pelvis and never playing again are not helpful at all.

No on knows and if it is spinal there are varying degrees of injury which only the medical profession can diagnose.

shmmeee

Our crossing accuracy is abysmal including corners, etc not one single cross from 18 reached a Cov player.

Preston had 7 of 15 crosses were accurate.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Honestly don’t think it’s the crossing. Our forwards have all the anticipation and positioning of a new born baby. Never attack the ball, never attack the front post, rarely challenge for headers. Even when Torp is taking them the balls are great but come to nothing. For a team led by a striker out final third play is shocking at times.

Users who are viewing this thread