Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (6 Viewers)

David O'Day

Also at the same time the London Drive In Comedy Club has cancelled all gigs as they state there is no way to make the drive gigs work financially so as much as I love to kick teh tories when they are down it looks to me like it is live Nation being worried about the financials not workig out and pulling the tour.

clint van damme

Got some more info from a couple of people who were working on tours. They've both been told the same thing, that the government won't allow artists and production to move around the country. Seems an odd call when, as far as I'm aware, there's no restrictions on other people going about their work. A lot of work, not to mention expense, had gone into making sure this was all safe and within all restrictions and guidelines.

One of the artists involved has posted a statement online.

really bad news whatever the reason. Music industry is going to take a battering but at least this gave a glimmer of hope.

Got my son Fountaines DC tickets for next May but I warned him that it's quite feasible that it won't go ahead.

wingy

It's going to have to be virtual and or online for the foreseeable future.
I'd imagine much of the reasoning to be economic.
Can they monetize online content?
Trouble is the artists may be able to facilitate the appearance of unity or physically achieve it with measures.
Not achievable for the punters though.
Agreed it would be and is a boost to the national Vibe.

David O'Day

It's going to have to be virtual and or online for the foreseeable future.
I'd imagine much of the reasoning to be economic.
Can they monetize online content?
Trouble is the artists may be able to facilitate the appearance of unity or physically achieve it with measures.
Not achievable for the punters though.
Agreed it would be and is a boost to the national Vibe.

With the LiveNation shows the capacity was 300 cars which I guess made it very hard to make it work on a financial level.

chiefdave

Promising
Thats a couple of vaccines now that are showing promise. Lets hope they come though and its not the press hyping things up.

Even if we can come up with something that reduces the severity we can start looking at getting life back to normal. Remember bird flu where you got told to stay at home for a couple of weeks and given some pills? If we get it down to something like that we should be fine to open pretty much everything up.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Would be great if there is something that does work, or at least massively reduces the likelihood of fatality.

At the moment I'm still quite concerned about the colder months not just because the conditons might favour the virus but also the usual flu/colds etc that spread at that time and the effect they might have on those that have been hit with the virus and survived. If it has damaged their lungs in some way their ability to get through another respiratory illness could be hampered so we might see an even higher toll from flu than a normal year.

Wonder if the govt might try and give everyone a flu jab if they can?

David O'Day

I don't understand why they do this to themselves. Is it just a form of dead catting?

Would be much easier to just say Gove made a mistake and use it as an example of why people need to think about what they're doing and pay attention to the rules.

Our just say it was a requirement at the time to wear a mask in a shop

clint van damme

Hancock claiming lock down stated on 16th March.
The cunts just continually lie now without a single fuck given.

chiefdave

Hancock claiming lock down stated on 16th March.
The cunts just continually lie now without a single fuck given.
I dispair. Really don't know how we get back to a working model for politics in this country. Same thing with the Russia report, trying to push it onto Corbyn and the press comply and head off to doorstep him. No questions about Johnson or Cummings links to Russia and Russian funding, that's just glossed over.

clint van damme

I dispair. Really don't know how we get back to a working model for politics in this country. Same thing with the Russia report, trying to push it onto Corbyn and the press comply and head off to doorstep him. No questions about Johnson or Cummings links to Russia and Russian funding, that's just glossed over.

The thing is him saying this makes the government look even more incompetent as they then let the Cheltenham festival go ahead on.the same day they claim to have locked down but I doubt they'll get asked about it from that angle.

NorthernWisdom

Pretty clear what the government strategy is, confuse and blame the public for the inevitable disaster
Hopefully Vallance's statements yesterday are when he starts to give his opinion a little more. This all seems bonkers tbh. No social distancing come the winter months? Anybody can use public transport? I was sympathetic at the beginning of this, but it's zero lessons learned!

Fool me once...

skyblue1991

Does anyone want to rush back to the office just so we can keep Starbucks and Pret a Manger happy?

I don't persoanlly use these places, I've always brought my own lunch!

chiefdave

This might come as a shock but it seems the promised £30bn spending might not be quite what it seems.
The UK Government is spending big on supporting public services and the economy through the COVID-19 recovery and beyond. There are, for example, ‘up to £30 billion pounds’ of measures counted in the ‘Plan for Jobs’ announced in the Summer Economic Update last week, although the OBR thinks they will ultimately cost around £20 billion.

However, alongside this – but with much less fanfare – are reductions in spending on other things as some previously planned projects and investments are now deemed less of a priority or infeasible given the COVID-19 crisis. The Treasury’s decisions on funding for the devolved governments suggest they expect these underspends to amount to almost £8 billion; the OBR expects more like £10 billion.

wingy

Desperate stuff. We’ve got Facebook boomers in charge of the country. Can’t wait until we pause the 5G rollout. 🙄
I think we should bypass it and wait for 6 .
After reading an article yesterday .
Mind blowing .
If only we still had GEC to get on with it.

shmmeee

I think we should bypass it and wait for 6 .
After reading an article yesterday .
Mind blowing .
If only we still had GEC to get on with it.

Good old GEC/GPT, remember my apprenticeship days there. Word then was that Gordon Brown did such a good job getting money from the networks for the 3G spectrum (I think, may haveeven been 2G) that they couldn’t afford to invest in the kit from Marconi as it was at the time.

wingy

Good old GEC/GPT, remember my apprenticeship days there. Word then was that Gordon Brown did such a good job getting money from the networks for the 3G spectrum (I think, may haveeven been 2G) that they couldn’t afford to invest in the kit from Marconi as it was at the time.
By the time 5 is in operation we'll be down to 4-5 yrs before the next installation begins.
Read a bit about the downfall the other day .
That bloke they put in after Lord Weinstein? Seemed to blow it by focusing on the singular operation against the previous diverse operation.
Then the suggested New system £250M failed them by not picking up the Worldwide fall of demand.

shmmeee

By the time 5 is in operation we'll be down to 4-5 yrs before the next installation begins.
Read a bit about the downfall the other day .
That bloke they put in after Lord Weinstein? Seemed to blow it by focusing on the singular operation against the previous diverse operation.
Then the suggested New system £250M failed them by not picking up the Worldwide fall of demand.

The impression I had as a cocky 17 year old apprentice who knew everything was management failed to adapt to the modern world. Started my long held belief that British management culture is to blame for most of our industrial issues.

Users who are viewing this thread