Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (8 Viewers)

skybluetony176

Forgive me if I've misinterpreted, the current govt position seems to be, of course you should wear a mask inside and in shops, but we're not going to mandate it, we're going to leave you to decide.

Is that right?

If so, that's as bonkers as the recommending people not to go in pubs, but not closing them!
I’m reminded of Matt Lucas’ go out but don’t go out impression he did of Boris. Wear a face mask, don’t wear a face mask but wear a face mask. Preti Patel is struggling apparently with understanding if she should be wearing them inside or outside I read somewhere earlier.

Last edited:

chiefdave

Although I don't see policy getting him elected I agree that using the pandemic as a means to at least outline a new way of moving forward would be a positive thing. Undoubtedly you'd get the "we're in a crisis - now isn't the time to be talking about these things. Priorities!" from certain areas but now is the time to highlight how things could be different. Do it when things have calmed down and some sense of 'normal' has returned and it's too late. People will say it's hindsight.
Completely agree with this. The 'now isn't the time' argument only holds water if the suggestion is Starmer should just be shouting down the government. With the absolute mess they're making of everything he should surly be capable of offering an alternative course of action.

There's also no issue going after Jenrick, the Russia report (and Graylings appointment) or any of the other open goals the Conservatives are handing him at the moment. If I was a Labour member I'd be increasingly concerned at Starmer's failure to land a punch effectively on pretty much anything so far.

Not sure polls today showing the public find him similar to Blair, along with Straw backing him, are particularly reassuring. Did laugh when Sky quoted a shadow minister saying "where we are today with Keir is beyond most of our wildest dreams".

David O'Day

What else can stramer actually do that he isn't doing at the moment?

All he can do is point out the government were too slow to act and they have no real plan for exit or recovery. You need to wait until the pandemic as subsided a lot before anything will really move but yes Labour are far ahead of were they though they would be as they would have expected in the old normal that the tories would have coasted along this year left 15 to 20 point leads and only after the reality of brexit kicked in would in roads be there to make.

shmmeee

Saw a few mates for the first time since lockdown at a BBQ on Saturday, two decided to tell everyone they thought it was all a hoax. Despite several people working in care homes and healthcare present and several who knew people who had died, and my question of “well what did all these extra people die of?”, still wouldn’t budge. Just did that quiet “well yeah even so” mumble these idiots do when it’s clear they’re not among their own kind.

clint van damme

Saw a few mates for the first time since lockdown at a BBQ on Saturday, two decided to tell everyone they thought it was all a hoax. Despite several people working in care homes and healthcare present and several who knew people who had died, and my question of “well what did all these extra people die of?”, still wouldn’t budge. Just did that quiet “well yeah even so” mumble these idiots do when it’s clear they’re not among their own kind.

Sounds like a grade A fucking wanker

chiefdave

Despite several people working in care homes and healthcare present and several who knew people who had died, and my question of “well what did all these extra people die of?”, still wouldn’t budge. Just did that quiet “well yeah even so” mumble these idiots do when it’s clear they’re not among their own kind.
This is the problem with so much debate these days. You ask the most basic of questions and they have no response yet unshakeably continue with the same belief no matter how much evidence there is to show its wrong.

Its glaringly obvious when its something like this but worrying when you start to question where these ideas are coming from and how these people are being manipulated in other areas such as elections and referendums.

shmmeee

This is the problem with so much debate these days. You ask the most basic of questions and they have no response yet unshakeably continue with the same belief no matter how much evidence there is to show its wrong.

Its glaringly obvious when its something like this but worrying when you start to question where these ideas are coming from and how these people are being manipulated in other areas such as elections and referendums.

The ideas are straight off YouTube and Facebook. I know because occasionally they send me the links. It’s the whole “who do you believe me or your lying eyes” bit that blows me away. Who takes randoms on YouTube over the lived experience of them and their mates?

clint van damme

The ideas are straight off YouTube and Facebook. I know because occasionally they send me the links. It’s the whole “who do you believe me or your lying eyes” bit that blows me away. Who takes randoms on YouTube over the lived experience of them and their mates?

The convergence of far left and right over this pandemic is fucking hilarious and a bit frightening as well

shmmeee

The convergence of far left and right over this pandemic is fucking hilarious and a bit frightening as well

Its a basic belief that life isn’t as it seems and there’s shadowy forces pulling the strings that unites them. Whether it’s rich guys or Muslims or whatever. There’s a base disbelief of whatever the official story is at all times that leaves them prone to this stuff.

clint van damme

Its a basic belief that life isn’t as it seems and there’s shadowy forces pulling the strings that unites them. Whether it’s rich guys or Muslims or whatever. There’s a base disbelief of whatever the official story is at all times that leaves them prone to this stuff.

see I think a bit of scepticism about the official narrative is a good thing but with something like this when all you need to do is look around you or in the case of the fella you were on about listen to what your friends are saying then just use a bit of common sense FFS.

shmmeee

see I think a bit of scepticism about the official narrative is a good thing but with something like this when all you need to do is look around you or in the case of the fella you were on about listen to what your friends are saying then just use a bit of common sense FFS.

Oh yeah, and like me you probably enjoyed a good conspiracy theory in your youth. But there is some engagement with the “truth” beyond “it’s all bollocks, I’ll believe anyone on YouTube who tells a nice story”

fernandopartridge

Oh yeah, and like me you probably enjoyed a good conspiracy theory in your youth. But there is some engagement with the “truth” beyond “it’s all bollocks, I’ll believe anyone on YouTube who tells a nice story”

There is utterly no logic behind any of the theories apart from handpicking a few facts / half facts and arranging them to fit the narrative.

shmmeee

There is utterly no logic behind any of the theories apart from handpicking a few facts / half facts and arranging them to fit the narrative.

I dunno. The whole thing fascinates me, there seems to be a combination of mistrust of officialdom and lack of general knowledge. I remember talking to a flat earther once and they pray on you not knowing the finer details so something sounds plausible. In this case I knew that maths for GPS requires the world to be round but didn’t know the literal equations. Now I understand map projections and the like I’d be able to hold my own.

Funny one on Saturday was one guy said “well does anyone know anyone’s who has actually died from Corona?” As his killer evidence, turns out almost everyone did.

clint van damme

I dunno. The whole thing fascinates me, there seems to be a combination of mistrust of officialdom and lack of general knowledge. I remember talking to a flat earther once and they pray on you not knowing the finer details so something sounds plausible. In this case I knew that maths for GPS requires the world to be round but didn’t know the literal equations. Now I understand map projections and the like I’d be able to hold my own.

Funny one on Saturday was one guy said “well does anyone know anyone’s who has actually died from Corona?” As his killer evidence, turns out almost everyone did.

I don't get the flat Earth conspiracy, what do the authorities get out of concealing the Earths shape from us? Bizarre.

fernandopartridge

There is mistrust of officialdom where it suits

chiefdave

my question of “well what did all these extra people die of?”
I don't get the flat Earth conspiracy, what do the authorities get out of concealing the Earths shape from us?
I like a conspiracy theory as much as the next person, especially if you're going down an X-Files / Area 51 route. But that's like as in find them interesting, not as in thinking people are alien lizards etc.

But how can people passionately believe things that don't stand up to the slightest scrutiny. They've got no answer to either of those questions.

Its one thing to think Johnson and his chums make some dodgy decisions based on what will benefit them personally. Huge leap to every government, every opposition party, the entire science community and so on have all agreed to cover up what is really killing people or that the earth is really flat. Things which are of no benefit to everyone.

shmmeee

I like a conspiracy theory as much as the next person, especially if you're going down an X-Files / Area 51 route. But that's like as in find them interesting, not as in thinking people are alien lizards etc.

But how can people passionately believe things that don't stand up to the slightest scrutiny. They've got no answer to either of those questions.

Its one thing to think Johnson and his chums make some dodgy decisions based on what will benefit them personally. Huge leap to every government, every opposition party, the entire science community and so on have all agreed to cover up what is really killing people or that the earth is really flat. Things which are of no benefit to everyone.

Thats my litmus test for these things: Do they required thousands of normal people to be in on it? If so definite bollocks.

Ian1779

What else can stramer actually do that he isn't doing at the moment?

All he can do is point out the government were too slow to act and they have no real plan for exit or recovery. You need to wait until the pandemic as subsided a lot before anything will really move but yes Labour are far ahead of were they though they would be as they would have expected in the old normal that the tories would have coasted along this year left 15 to 20 point leads and only after the reality of brexit kicked in would in roads be there to make.

Just for context - before Labour started to pursue the disastrous Brexit nonsense they did, they were 4-8 points ahead of the Conservatives, and people said then any other leader would be 20 points up.

I’m not saying he should be ahead, but what Starmer makes up for in electability and supposed competence, he is seriously short on ideas for a post Cov-ID country... at least that’s how it seems. He can set out his vision without having to even go after the government... just give us something...

ajsccfc

Pack of 50 for £15, that'll do me. Should cover me for over a third of the year if I keep up the same routine

Brighton Sky Blue

I'd best buy one.

What about kids? Do they need one?

It's months too late for supermarkets

It's funny they have now decided to fine people £100 for not wearing one in a shop just over a month before the plan to pack every child back into school. Or like when they decided to introduce 2 week quarantines months after the outbreak started.

The horse hasn't just bolted it's done the Grand National

Users who are viewing this thread