Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (15 Viewers)

Ian1779

Speaking of crack pot theories....

What’s worse is that hundreds of thousands will now believe it as fact.

skybluetony176

Brighton Sky Blue

That bus driver in France who got attacked for telling passengers to put their masks on has had his life support machine switched off.

What an absolutely cowardly act.

In Leamington just now I saw a dude with a torn face mask arguing with the bus driver for not letting him on. Just go home and get another

Skybluefaz

Reports this morning of no long lasting Covid-19 immunity if you have previously had the virus. We really need that vaccine. Record numbers if infections globally too. Have a great day.

Ian1779

Off topic but politics related:

I read this on Saturday - it’s certainly interesting.

Although I do feel underwhelmed by Starmer, I’m not of the opinion that he should be ahead (20 points ahead seems to be the buzz line) at this stage. Government support is generally inflated in times of war and national crisis no matter how badly they handle it. There is also the Brexit support that is not going to move away until the end of the transition period and we have actually ‘left’ in more than name and even then it will hold for a while after even if it does go to shit.

I saw a couple of interviews on Sunday, and one of the reporters had an interesting line of questioning. 3 months in and we have yet to hear of a single policy from him and his team - but lots of ‘agreeing’ with the government. His only policy currently seems to be not being Corbyn. That might be viewed as sensible in some quarters but it will only hold water for so long. There is a huge opportunity for him to capture the public’s imagination with bold (don’t even need to say radical) economic policy tied in with green initiatives and a new vision for our country post Cov-ID.

clint van damme

Although I do feel underwhelmed by Starmer, I’m not of the opinion that he should be ahead (20 points ahead seems to be the buzz line) at this stage. Government support is generally inflated in times of war and national crisis no matter how badly they handle it. There is also the Brexit support that is not going to move away until the end of the transition period and we have actually ‘left’ in more than name and even then it will hold for a while after even if it does go to shit.

I saw a couple of interviews on Sunday, and one of the reporters had an interesting line of questioning. 3 months in and we have yet to hear of a single policy from him and his team - but lots of ‘agreeing’ with the government. His only policy currently seems to be not being Corbyn. That might be viewed as sensible in some quarters but it will only hold water for so long. There is a huge opportunity for him to capture the public’s imagination with bold (don’t even need to say radical) economic policy tied in with green initiatives and a new vision for our country post Cov-ID.

'Parts of UK could run out of water in around 20 years', new study warns - Energy Live News

here's something he could start with, but maybe he won't bother if he wants to not be like Corbyn.
Lets not bother fixing it, lets keep sending piles of money abroad in dividends instead.

pipkin73

We now have tourists here, next week we are supposed to be nearly full (i guess more hotels will open).
Let's see how the "R" rate goes on over here with so many of you here. By the end of this month,
almost every bar open again (the only ones not open are closed due to the centre refurbishment).
1 more month (of closure due to covid) and i think no way back for me as i've lent i think my maximum. I owe shit loads to friends and other businesses that have helped me.
I have been begging for you all to come over as without you all i was broke but i knew you were safe (WTO has now said we are the safest place in europe).

Brighton Sky Blue

We now have tourists here, next week we are supposed to be nearly full (i guess more hotels will open).
Let's see how the "R" rate goes on over here with so many of you here. By the end of this month,
almost every bar open again (the only ones not open are closed due to the centre refurbishment).
1 more month (of closure due to covid) and i think no way back for me as i've lent i think my maximum. I owe shit loads to friends and other businesses that have helped me.
I have been begging for you all to come over as without you all i was broke but i knew we were safe (WTO has now said we are the safest place in europe).

We are still trying to go to Crete in August but the possibility of being randomly tested while asymptomatic and therefore stuck for 2 weeks has me in 2 minds. What’s the system with Spain?

pipkin73

We are still trying to go to Crete in August but the possibility of being randomly tested while asymptomatic and therefore stuck for 2 weeks has me in 2 minds. What’s the system with Spain?
You can come here, we are not mainland Spain but will be grateful of your custom. The WTO have just said we are the safest place in europe.

Last edited:

shmmeee

Yeah weird times right now. I didn’t vote Starmer and have my concerns but the indicators are good. I’m not too bothered about policy four years out from a manifesto, just gives needless ammunition for no benefit.

Rich

Is there anywhere that shows how many have covid in each hospital? Hearing the Eliot is struggling with the amount of Covid patients.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Although I don't see policy getting him elected I agree that using the pandemic as a means to at least outline a new way of moving forward would be a positive thing. Undoubtedly you'd get the "we're in a crisis - now isn't the time to be talking about these things. Priorities!" from certain areas but now is the time to highlight how things could be different. Do it when things have calmed down and some sense of 'normal' has returned and it's too late. People will say it's hindsight.

I've no problem with him keeping his powder dry for the time being on hammering Johnson et al for their actions on Covid and their despicable attempts to blame everyone but themselves. With his legal prowess I'm willing to trust him on when to know to order the offensive. Maybe I wouldn't mind a bit of criticism of the policy right now to at least indicate their dissatisfaction and lull the Tories into a false sense of security that the issue has past but I prefer the patient approach than just giving a few days of flak before everything moves on to the next fuck up and gets forgotten. Use it when it an be effective in getting you power. That isn't now.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

If they were 'shipping people in' then it suggests we had the spare capacity even then. We definitely had a lower infection rate per head than much of the surrounding region, both WM and Warks.

NorthernWisdom

Forgive me if I've misinterpreted, the current govt position seems to be, of course you should wear a mask inside and in shops, but we're not going to mandate it, we're going to leave you to decide.

Is that right?

If so, that's as bonkers as the recommending people not to go in pubs, but not closing them!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Forgive me if I've misinterpreted, the current govt position seems to be, of course you should wear a mask inside and in shops, but we're not going to mandate it, we're going to leave you to decide.

Is that right?

If so, that's as bonkers as the recommending people not to go in pubs, but not closing them!

They're terrified of being seen as ordering people what to do as it'll be considered unpopular. We all know it needs that certainty, even they do I reckon, but worry the public will turn on them if they order it, effectively saying 'you can't be trusted to be sensible' even if it's the truth.

Saddlebrains

Is there anywhere that shows how many have covid in each hospital? Hearing the Eliot is struggling with the amount of Covid patients.

Daughters mum works there, a few in in what seems peaks and troughs but nothing overly worrying at the mo.

UHCW almost working as it was pre Covid

chiefdave

They've seen how well its gone so far leaving things up to peoples common sense and decided that is the route to go down!

chiefdave

Not sure relying on people's common sense is the best plan.

30-year-old dies after attending 'Covid party' in Texas
A 30-year-old patient died after attending a “Covid party”, believing the virus to be a hoax, a Texas medical official has said.

“Just before the patient died, they looked at their nurse and said ‘I think I made a mistake, I thought this was a hoax, but it’s not,’” said Dr Jane Appleby, the chief medical officer at Methodist hospital in San Antonio.

A “Covid party” is a gathering held by somebody diagnosed with coronavirus to see if the virus is real and to see if anyone gets infected, she explained.
Man, 37, who died from coronavirus had slammed pandemic 'hype' on Facebook
Man, 37, who died from coronavirus had dismissed pandemic ‘hype’ on Facebook

He dismissed the risk of the pandemic, saying “I’m not buying a f***ing mask” and that “I’ve made it this far by not buying into that damn hype”.

“I’ve gotten sick of turning my tv on to political smear ads and shit about COVID,” he wrote in another post. “So yesterday I turned my cable box in. I’ve also started snoozing people on here. It’s time to block out negativity.”

Users who are viewing this thread