Wasps downward spiral... (5 Viewers)

CCFC54321

Gate was recorded as 23,450 by London wasps….

22,000 couldn’t attend although they paid say London wasps due to… (insert excuse)

jordan210

Here’s the attendance site that normaly gets updated mid week

Peter Billing Eyes

It does make me wonder how sustainable Rugby Union is as a sport in the U.K. There are pockets where there is a genuine stronghold of support, but whenever I have watched matches on the TV in the past few years, the general demographic seems to be middle-aged or older folk with fewer young people in the crowd. I’m sure someone will counter, but that’s my impression.

Lately, we are getting a mix of fans at Sky Blues matches that reflect the spectrum of society. I’m proud of that.

Last edited:

tisza

Add Ealing to that who will get there in a year or two
But aren't they another club that survive because of wealthy backers? Point being there's only a handful of teams in the largest city and they struggle to get crowds / be financially sound.

tisza

It does make me wonder how sustainable Rugby Union is as a sport in the U.K. There are pockets where there is a genuine stronghold of support, but whenever I have watched matches on the TV in the past few years, the general demographic seems to be middle-aged or older folk with fewer young people in the crowd. I’m sure someone will counter, but that’s my impression.

Lately, we are getting a mix of fans at sky Blues matches that reflect the whole spectrum of society. I’m proud of that.
It's a sustainable sport but not at the professional level it has set itself up to be atm. Can't be considered mainstream when a large chunk of the country (the North) largely ignores it.

Gynnsthetonic

It's a sustainable sport but not at the professional level it has set itself up to be atm. Can't be considered mainstream when a large chunk of the country (the North) largely ignores it.
There used to be a lot more Northen clubs years ago
Orrell
Waterloo
Liverpool St Helens
Headingly
Newcastle Gosforth
West Hartlepool
Nottingham
Rotherham
Some of them merged I know most gone now though

chiefdave

Its not sustainable in its current form, simple at that. They've gambled on the sport growing in populatliry with no actual data to indicate that could happen.

Attendances are in decline across the league, they sturuggle to get decent TV deals, when they do the viewing figures are minuscule - I remember having an argument with Italia back in the days of us being in the lower leagues and even then the viewing figures for one of our live appearances on Sky was more than Wasps combined viewing figures for the entire season.

They either need owners prepared to cover losses or a change across the entire league. Of course you could say the same about football but there seems more people willing to chuck their money away on football, sadly not with us. The weirdest thing is pro rugby is relatively new, they could have set things up so the sport was sustainable but have actively chosen not to. And with only a small number of teams there's a potential domino effect when the first one falls.

Gynnsthetonic

Its not sustainable in its current form, simple at that. They've gambled on the sport growing in populatliry with no actual data to indicate that could happen.

Attendances are in decline across the league, they sturuggle to get decent TV deals, when they do the viewing figures are minuscule - I remember having an argument with Italia back in the days of us being in the lower leagues and even then the viewing figures for one of our live appearances on Sky was more than Wasps combined viewing figures for the entire season.

They either need owners prepared to cover losses or a change across the entire league. Of course you could say the same about football but there seems more people willing to chuck their money away on football, sadly not with us. The weirdest thing is pro rugby is relatively new, they could have set things up so the sport was sustainable but have actively chosen not to. And with only a small number of teams there's a potential domino effect when the first one falls.
If there was promotion between the top 2 divisions and maybe 10 teams in each. The trouble is the infrastructure in the championship is poor, teams like Caldy, Ampthill, Hartpury, Richmond, London Scottish can't get many through the gates, and yes poor stadiums if you can call them that.

Last edited:

Kneeza

But aren't they another club that survive because of wealthy backers? Point being there's only a handful of teams in the largest city and they struggle to get crowds / be financially sound.
*A* wealthy backer. Mike Gooley, who is 85. He's just desperate to see them into the Prem, but what happens when he's not around any more is anyone's guess.

Kneeza

There used to be a lot more Northen clubs years ago
Orrell - still going
Waterloo - still going as Firwood Waterloo
Liverpool St Helens - still going
Headingly - now Leeds RFC with Roundhay
Newcastle Gosforth - still going (just having dropped the 'Gosforth' name)
West Hartlepool - still going
Nottingham - still going
Rotherham - still going
Some of them merged I know most gone now though

Sky Blue Harry H

Another full house
From Nells, re: attendance: - along with Shugs, has Wasps tinted specs
xx.gif

Re: Match Thread
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2022, 03:00:27 PM »

8k +

:unsure::rolleyes:

Travs

To be honest... i saw a clip on facebook showing both the side stands, and my amateur opinion was 6-8000, but it was a very quick video.

I could be wrong, It was considerably emptier than we were getting in League 2, what was that, about 10000...?

shepardo01

To be honest... i saw a clip on facebook showing both the side stands, and my amateur opinion was 6-8000, but it was a very quick video.

I could be wrong, It was considerably emptier than we were getting in League 2, what was that, about 10000...?
6-8k in League 2!
Having seen a few pictures, I'd say 5k ish for Wasps....

Grendel

RegTheDonk

A January bottom of the table clash would halve this number, I bet. They are now competing with Cov Rugby for attendances and I reckon there are still plenty of complementary Wasps tickets going around so Cov probably have more paying punters.
Yeah, chap at my brothers place had applied for and was given 4 in some corporate scheme. TBF he don't live locally so probably doesn't know the ins and outs of the situation and just wants a jolly to a sporting match. But he was asking if anyone wanted to come as 2 of these tickets were spare. Can't even fill the ones they're giving away.

ccfcchris

Attendance Table

Bristol Bears - 22,021
Leicester Tigers - 18,106
Harlequins - 12,831
Bath Rugby - 11,704
Northampton Saints - 10,658
Gloucester Rugby - 10,415
Exeter Chiefs - 9,579
Wasps - 6,878
London Irish - 6,729
Newcastle Falcons - 5,025
Sale Sharks - 4,064
Worcester Warriors- 0

CCFC54321

Attendance Table

Bristol Bears - 22,021
Leicester Tigers - 18,106
Harlequins - 12,831
Bath Rugby - 11,704
Northampton Saints - 10,658
Gloucester Rugby - 10,415
Exeter Chiefs - 9,579
Wasps - 6,878
London Irish - 6,729
Newcastle Falcons - 5,025
Sale Sharks - 4,064
Worcester Warriors- 0
No way did they get 6,878

Sky Blue Harry H

wasps att 6878 compared to first game last year 8500 doesn't look very good for them

The winter months in that stadium in crowds of 5k will be a soul destroying experience for all concerned. It is only heading in one direction. Whoever is considering investing/loaning them significant funds will surely be looking at attendances like this and thinking..........mmmm.

Kneeza

The winter months in that stadium in crowds of 5k will be a soul destroying experience for all concerned. It is only heading in one direction. Whoever is considering investing/loaning them significant funds will surely be looking at attendances like this and thinking..........mmmm.
Which is precisely why they constantly inflate the figures.
If the would-be 'investors' (using that term very loosely) actually turn up for a match, they'd certainly question things though. Or they may just be f. stupid or a figment of someone's imagination.
Answers on a freebie ticket...

Users who are viewing this thread