The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (5 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SBAndy

Oh what am I talking about. Of course it's worth killing off British farming - look! 20p of Aussie wine! Brexit win!

E2EBvttWYAE2qTD

“Win, win, win”

Reactions: PVA

wingy

Would be interested to know Grendel's opinion on Jag Land rover succeeding with a boost over there on the competition ?

PVA

If anyone thinks a bottle of Yellow Tail will be 20p cheaper in Tesco because of this they are an idiot.

What's the thinking behind beef and lamb exports soaring? If its going to be comparatively too expensive to sell in the UK how is it going to be viable in Asia Pacific?

There is no thinking. It's just state propaganda posing as a newspaper lying about trade deals.

Mucca Mad Boys

If anyone thinks a bottle of Yellow Tail will be 20p cheaper in Tesco because of this they are an idiot.

What's the thinking behind beef and lamb exports soaring? If its going to be comparatively too expensive to sell in the UK how is it going to be viable in Asia Pacific?

Australian and NZ meat is very popular in that region. The assumption is that British will also be popular there too.

chiefdave

Australian and NZ meat is very popular in that region. The assumption is that British will also be popular there too.
But if the argument is that farmers here won't be able to compete on price with Asia Pacific farmers in our own domestic market how are we going to get it on sale over there at a viable price? Or is the suggestion that they will be happy to pay a premium because its labelled British?

Grendel

But if the argument is that farmers here won't be able to compete on price with Asia Pacific farmers in our own domestic market how are we going to get it on sale over there at a viable price? Or is the suggestion that they will be happy to pay a premium because its labelled British?

The point is the exports will be a lot cheaper into these markets then they are now

CCFCSteve

This all comes down to whether people want a protectionist trade policy or not. People understandably have different views depending on their personal circumstances (job, finance, views on opening up trade for developing countries to grow etc etc). There will always be winners and losers on both sides

chiefdave

The point is the exports will be a lot cheaper into these markets then they are now
In practice how will that work? The farming industry is saying that tariff free access both ways will in reality be of benefit to overseas farmers importing rather than our domestic industry exporting.

They are saying imports coming into the country will be at a lower price than is achievable domestically driving prices down to a point that is unviable for domestic famers to continue.

So if it is the case that we can't get meat produced in this country on to our own shelves at a competitive price how can we get it onto shelves elsewhere at a competitive price? Having tariff free access is of little benefit if nobody wants to buy your product because its too expensive.

skybluetony176

This all comes down to whether people want a protectionist trade policy or not. People understandably have different views depending on their personal circumstances (job, finance, views on opening up trade for developing countries to grow etc etc). There will always be winners and losers on both sides
Doesn’t make sense to leave a FTA with your biggest trade partner that protects your established industries to pursue FTA with minor trade partners that doesn’t protect your established industries. That’s not remotely what was advertised. I doubt that the farming industry would have voted for Brexit in the numbers they did if it was for all the reasons you’ve just mentioned.

PVA

Just a few short months ago Brexiters were lauding the prospect of more food and produce being grown in the UK. Those same people are now saying what a great idea it is to import food from the other side of the world.

skybluetony176

Just on the Australian cattle industry. There was some gloating on another thread about animal rights. I suggest that you look at Australia’s record. It’s all very well gloating that we’re not going to allow live cattle to cross 20 miles across the English Channel as post Brexit rules but the fact is that Australia’s record is awful especially on the transportation of live animals. Hundreds and hundreds of miles by road and then thousands and thousands of miles by sea all around Asia. This trade deal if it happens will support that.

PVA

Not to mention their beef is hormone injected. Which of course the government promised a few months ago would not be allowed.

skybluetony176

Can you stop applying common sense. It’s devastating to brexiteers arguments.

It’s like the price of fuel. The second the barrel price goes up the pump price goes up. The second it goes down the excuses start such as the cheaper barrels haven’t been refined yet or currency fluctuation. Even when it does go down it never reflects the barrel decrease at the pump even when the barrel price falls to a 5 year low.

And like you say. How are we going to compete with product the other side of the world when we can’t compete with it in our own back yard. It’s cloud cuckoo land.

wingy

However it goes economically , the nationalistic cultural cause is/was the driver .It will be for younger folk than me to judge whether the effects of either were worth it .

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'm sure someone over there wouldn't be averse to reminding people about BSE to put people off and keep the market largely to themselves. Certainly wouldn't get people willing to pay a premium for it at least.

Grendel

But still more expensive than the competition due to economies of scale etc.

Wouldn’t know. If this applies to automotive JLR products are massively more competitive than they were

D

Deleted member 4439

View attachment 20233
"It's perfectly reasonable to have the view that Remain should have won."

Wasn't expecting that to be a Cummings quote.

No? It supports the ludicrous myth that it Cumming wot won it. Everything he says that sounds reasonable or concessional is there to support the story he wants to tell.

My colleagues have been besides themselves today, one minute laughing at what he has said, the next marvelling at his conceit. Never in my department was there a person less respected - even Gavin Williamson gets more respect, which is certainly saying something.

fatso

The whole, brexit/remain fiasco, is probably the best argument i can find for taking the right to vote off the general public.

PVA

Amazing that they were allowed to get away with this shit.

I don't remember seeing it before because I'm not old, sick or vulnerable as per the tweet

(click on it to open the video. The video won't embed for some reason)

chiefdave

I don't remember seeing it before because I'm not old, sick or vulnerable as per the tweet

That's got to be a parody hasn't it?

Wasn't there something from the Advertising Standards Agency around the time of Brexit that they couldn't intervene no matter how false any advertising was as political adverts are exempt from the rules.

skybluetony176

Look. He didn’t mastermind Brexit. Only only the Brexit press has ever claimed that.

PVA

New DUP leader is a fucking idiot. Worse than Arlene.

Blaming Ireland for Brexit :LOL: And zero criticism of the actual people who negotiated and signed the deal, the UK government.

Can see protests and violence flaring up soon sadly. More sunlit uplands.

Users who are viewing this thread