SBT Veggie Society (1 Viewer)

Grendel

I do want to hear what they have to say. That is why I wrote to them.

I wrote to them after speaking to the manager yesterday. This morning I did a bit more investigatiing and found their lack of control procedures on their website, so after I had already written to them. Of course I am very interested to hear what the head office has to say though.

The fact they already say on their website there will be cross contamination doesn't give me much hope, mind.

I like their pizzas, so of course am very interested in what they have to say.

You do realise the cross contamination is to protect the company against customers with allergies?

Grendel

No. You mean they deliberately do it to protect themselves against legal action?

Its a phrase to show that companies are will strive to ensure there are no cross contaminated products but cannot ensure it in most cases

I would assume its a franchise anyway so Head Office is a bit pointless. I would be very surprised if the policy they are supposed to follow is as you have stated though as they are supposed to wear gloves or wash hands

In the end though its unrealistic to not have some form of meat to vegetarian risk of contamination. If you have a grilled veg burger has it just had a beef burger on it before you? In all probability yes

Otis

Its a phrase to show that companies are will strive to ensure there are no cross contaminated products but cannot ensure it in most cases

I would assume its a franchise anyway so Head Office is a bit pointless. I would be very surprised if the policy they are supposed to follow is as you have stated though as they are supposed to wear gloves or wash hands

In the end though its unrealistic to not have some form of meat to vegetarian risk of contamination. If you have a grilled veg burger has it just had a beef burger on it before you? In all probability yes
Yeah, get all that and I am not the type to complain. I just accept things for what they are usually, but it just seems that Domino's deliberately have no procedures in place at all, whereas most restaurants do at least try their best.

If I go to a barbecue I just don't eat anything, fully understanding that the grill will have had meat on it.

Pizza Express say they use the same ovens, but that there are separate pans and the food should be contained within the pan.

They said they cannot be 100% and I fully accept that.

Domino's use bare hands and if there is an order of 2, 3, or 4 pizzas etc. they do not wash their hands in-between each and just handle all the toppings and spread them amongst the pizzas.

There is zero control in place.

Fine if they want to be like that, but don't then say a pizza is suitable for a vegetarian. Easy really.

Otis

Apparently there’s a vegan restaurant in the Fargo village. Anyone tried it?
Yep. Not great.

Had a hot dog there yesterday. It was okay, but just a Linda McCartney sausage on a bun and the tiniest bit of onion ever. Had to search for it to be honest as I thought they missed it off.

Okay, but I can just have that at home.

My missus tried a vegan cake and hated it. That was from the coffee house though, not the vegan cafe.

Busy there yesterday at Fargo.

Otis

Domino's just got back to me and said they will put my points to their operations.

I can't believe no-one has ever mentioned this issue before. ;)

They also said they try to avoid cross contamination. Thing is though, they seemingly don't. Pizza Express explained how they keep everything seperate and use seperate spoons for each topping, whereas Domino's just stick their hands into each container, be it meat or vegetable and cross contaminate every container.

Clearly one is a lot more stringent and thorough in their control than the other. The other is no control at all really.

skybluetony176

Yep. Not great.

Had a hot dog there yesterday. It was okay, but just a Linda McCartney sausage on a bun and the tiniest bit of onion ever. Had to search for it to be honest as I thought they missed it off.

Okay, but I can just have that at home.

My missus tried a vegan cake and hated it. That was from the coffee house though, not the vegan cafe.

Busy there yesterday at Fargo.

That’s disappointing. Thinking of giving it a try over the weekend. Might go anyway as I’m yet to go to FarGo village.

Otis

That’s disappointing. Thinking of giving it a try over the weekend. Might go anyway as I’m yet to go to FarGo village.
Best go when something is on. Popped in the brewery and that can accommodate quite a lot of people.

Yeah, bit disappointing in the vegan cafe, as I was expecting something with a bit more effort and flair and invention than just sticking a LM sausage in a bread roll.

Otis

Bourbon and Soul this Friday night and they have got some stalls at the Godiva over the weekend.

Grendel

Domino's just got back to me and said they will put my points to their operations.

I can't believe no-one has ever mentioned this issue before. ;)

They also said they try to avoid cross contamination. Thing is though, they seemingly don't. Pizza Express explained how they keep everything seperate and use seperate spoons for each topping, whereas Domino's just stick their hands into each container, be it meat or vegetable and cross contaminate every container.

Clearly one is a lot more stringent and thorough in their control than the other. The other is no control at all really.

Their terms actually state that they don’t wear gloves as you don’t in a restaurant but they wash hands at regular intervals.

They do also say you should inform them that you are vegetarian in advance and they will prepare accordingly

To be honest the comparison with pizza express is a bit unfair isn’t it? Dominoes are just take away joints aren’t they? If you go to McDonald’s as a strict vegetarian you are taking chances really.

Otis

Their terms actually state that they don’t wear gloves as you don’t in a restaurant but they wash hands at regular intervals.

They do also say you should inform them that you are vegetarian in advance and they will prepare accordingly

To be honest the comparison with pizza express is a bit unfair isn’t it? Dominoes are just take away joints aren’t they? If you go to McDonald’s as a strict vegetarian you are taking chances really.
Yeah, fair point. That's why I also wrote to Pizza Hut and Papa John's too. Still waiting for a response.

Yeah, understand about telling them in advance, but it would make zero difference. They have still had their mitts in all the toppings all day long.

I even suggested to cut down on contamination, if they get a multiple order to do the veggie one first.

They said no to that, stating they do them in the order they come up on the screen.

Otis

Pizza Hut replied and say they wash their hands after handling each ingredient every time.

Obviously Papa John's is going to be the most like for like in terms of compatibility, as both Domino and Papa John are just takeaway only.

skybluetony176

How to eat well - and save the planet

Interesting article about the environmental impact of eating meat. Specifically about your water footprint. The environmental impact of being a meat eater was what swung it for me in becoming a vegetarian. Although strictly speaking I’m a pescatarian as I take the odd bit of fish. Very odd though.

richnrg

pescatarians actually have a negative water footprint, as the more fish they eat, the more room there is in the sea for water. Well done.

skybluetony176

pescatarians actually have a negative water footprint, as the more fish they eat, the more room there is in the sea for water. Well done.

Pure genius. I’m feeling guilty now as I’ve only eaten two fish since turning pescatarian. Clearly I’m not doing enough and letting the pescatarian community down :)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Are there any vegetarian butchers? Just a thought...…...

Grendel

Otis

Yeah, I think that was a mistake. That's what they said, but I believe they meant every pizza.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I nipped into my new local at lunchtime and wanted a pint of their "guest" real ales which I had a few days ago. "Oh, we change the guest ales each week," said the lovely barmaid, "which one was it?" I explained roughly which it was and she said they now have a similar one. Anyway, to cut a long story short (I'm a bugger for details!), she poured me a pint and then said "It's a good pint for vegans!". I said I was a carnivore and left it at that, but it got me thinking as to why she would say that? I thought all beers were pretty much vegan - no meat or dairy products involved?

skybluetony176

I nipped into my new local at lunchtime and wanted a pint of their "guest" real ales which I had a few days ago. "Oh, we change the guest ales each week," said the lovely barmaid, "which one was it?" I explained roughly which it was and she said they now have a similar one. Anyway, to cut a long story short (I'm a bugger for details!), she poured me a pint and then said "It's a good pint for vegans!". I said I was a carnivore and left it at that, but it got me thinking as to why she would say that? I thought all beers were pretty much vegan - no meat or dairy products involved?

You would think so but apparently not. I was told that Guinness isn’t vegan. Apparently animal product can be used during the brewing process. Probably a cheaper ingredient than something plant derived to do the same job. Economics prevents a lot of things that could be vegan from being vegan. You would be surprised what contains animal product and byproduct.

Grendel

Fish guts are used in the filtration process

skybluetony176

There’s a vegan thing happening at Ryton connection today I’ve just been informed if anyone is interested.

On a separate note we tried Brooklyn Piza at Elliot’s Field in Rugby the other week and they were very good. They do a vegan cheese, garlic bread etc and when my wife was asking if certain sauces were vegan the waitress wasn’t sure so asked the “chef” who went and got a bottle from the stores so she could read the label to confirm. Very helpful and a good pizza to boot.

Harvester has just brought out a new menu and the veggie and vegan options are much improved also.

WhaleOilBeefHooked

How to eat well - and save the planet

Interesting article about the environmental impact of eating meat. Specifically about your water footprint. The environmental impact of being a meat eater was what swung it for me in becoming a vegetarian. Although strictly speaking I’m a pescatarian as I take the odd bit of fish. Very odd though.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I generally don't eat meat in the week for the very reasons you've outlined.

What I would say though is that some people instantly think Vegetarian / Vegan substitutes are better for the environment. Take almond milk for example (yuk). The water footprint and environmental impact is a scourge, but people don't know about it and say that it's better for the environment when it is anything but.

WhaleOilBeefHooked

I remember having a box of goon (cheap wine) in Australia and it said on the side that it contains fish and eggs.

I looked into it further:

Beer's fishy secret
It is unlikely the swim bladder of fish would be on the list, but isinglass - a gelatine made using the organ - is in fact very likely to be in your average pint. Used since the 19th Century as a fining agent to make beer clear, bright and more attractive to drinkers, the odourless added extra is used widely by brewers, from mass-produced brands to small microbreweries.

Milk, Fish and Eggs Are In Your Wine...Sometimes

skybluegod

Not necessarily, I worked for marstons as a chef, who as a chain are not very good at much, but we had a separate cooking area for ~Vegetarian food, considering how bad the pub was, would be surprised if it's not the same in many other chains/establishments.

skybluetony176

I'm not a vegetarian, but I generally don't eat meat in the week for the very reasons you've outlined.

What I would say though is that some people instantly think Vegetarian / Vegan substitutes are better for the environment. Take almond milk for example (yuk). The water footprint and environmental impact is a scourge, but people don't know about it and say that it's better for the environment when it is anything but.

Not so keen on the almond milk myself. Prefer Soya milk on things like cereal and for coffee you can’t beat oat milk. Next time you’re in costa have a latte made with oat milk, it’s superb.

I know what you’re saying about the almonds but interestingly a lot of articles on this subject don’t give you a comparison to cows milk. The reason I bring that up is I read an article about Soya production and deforestation. It was written from the angle of vegans and vegetarians being responsible for deforestation. What the article left out was that the vast majority of Soya production is used in cattle feed for the dairy and meat markets. There’s a big conspiracy theory within sections of the vegan community that there’s a lot of sponsored reporting going on producing fake news that discrediting vegan and vegetarian diets and foods. The water footprint might be large but how does it stack up when compared to dairy production all things considered?

https://waterfootprint.org/en/water...int/water-footprint-crop-and-animal-products/

What’s Better For You and the Planet – Almond Milk or Cow’s Milk? Here Are the Facts

Last edited:

richnrg

I now only drink ants milk.
it takes 0 litres of water to produce 1 litre of ants milk
(but it does take fuck-loads of ants)

martcov

You would think so but apparently not. I was told that Guinness isn’t vegan. Apparently animal product can be used during the brewing process. Probably a cheaper ingredient than something plant derived to do the same job. Economics prevents a lot of things that could be vegan from being vegan. You would be surprised what contains animal product and byproduct.

Guinness is now vegan. Some beers use sugar from crushed animal bones.

Users who are viewing this thread