SBT Veggie Society (1 Viewer)

SBAndy

Been thinking for a while that I would go vegetarian/vegan for at least 1 day a week (well, starting at that at least) but I’ve never been overly inspired by any recipes I’ve seen. I’m not after meat-substitute, but something completely different. Can anyone point me in the direction of some good tried-and-tested veggie recipes?

WhaleOilBeefHooked

Been thinking for a while that I would go vegetarian/vegan for at least 1 day a week (well, starting at that at least) but I’ve never been overly inspired by any recipes I’ve seen. I’m not after meat-substitute, but something completely different. Can anyone point me in the direction of some good tried-and-tested veggie recipes?

I started by making vegetable lasagne in substitute of beef. If you have fajitas, instead of chicken I used roasted butternut squash and black bean. Doesn't sound great, but add the spices and it's, in my opinion, superior.

I'm quite an adventurous cook though and a lot of cultures around the world have delicious no meat meals. It's good to experiment with them. You can substitute a lot of meals instead of meat. Although, I would never have a meat substitute (Quorn, Linda McCartney shite etc).

Otis

I started by making vegetable lasagne in substitute of beef. If you have fajitas, instead of chicken I used roasted butternut squash and black bean. Doesn't sound great, but add the spices and it's, in my opinion, superior.

I'm quite an adventurous cook though and a lot of cultures around the world have delicious no meat meals. It's good to experiment with them. You can substitute a lot of meals instead of meat. Although, I would never have a meat substitute (Quorn, Linda McCartney shite etc).
I love some of the meat substitutes.

Really nice in my opinion.

WhaleOilBeefHooked

I love some of the meat substitutes.

Really nice in my opinion.

Different horses for different courses and all that.

The total absence of Quorn and Linda McCartney sausages in vegetarian cultures speaks volumes, in my opinion. Quorn in particular is for those that want the texture of meat without using meat and for those that lack creativity. That's not an issue, it's just down to personal preference.

Why have Quorn mince which contains: Mycoprotein (93%), Rehydrated Free Range Egg White, Natural Caramelised Sugar, Calcium Chloride, Calcium Acetate; Gluten Free Barley Malt Extract, when you can just use mushrooms, which is essentially what 'mycoprotein' is in my eyes. For the more scientific, it's:

the processed cellular mass that is obtained from the filamentous fungus Fusarium venenatum strain PTA-2684.

WhaleOilBeefHooked

And don't get me started on Linda McCartney sausages:

Rehydrated Textured Soya Protein (64%), Soya Protein Concentrate, Palm Oil, Seasoning (Sulphites) (Dextrose, Salt, Flavourings, Onion Powder, Yeast Extract, Colour: Red Iron Oxide), Rapeseed Oil, Rusk (Fortified Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour), Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Salt, Raising Agent: Ammonium Hydrogen Carbonate), Stabiliser: Methyl Cellulose; Tomato Puree, Salt.

I think I have a problem with processed foods in general, to be honest.... Although I'm a hypocrite as I haven't cut out processed foods.

Otis

No use highlighting soya for me, because I drink soya milk every day.

I have an intolerance to cow's milk. :)

Sick Boy

Chickpeas and lentils are a decent start, I will try and dig out a recipe I sent to a few on here a couple of years ago.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
After my heart bypass many years ago, my veggie step daughter tried to convert me (not a bleedin' chance!). Anyway, she gave me a recipe that I thought I'd try, and for a confirmed meat eater like me, I find it really nice. It's called a Mediterranean Bake. Here's the recipe. It's so easy and serves at least 3 or 4.

1 x Tin Chick Peas
1 x Tin Kidney Beans
1 x Tin Chopped Tomatoes
Fresh cloves of Garlic (loads!)
Basil or Oregano
Courgette
Carrots
Mushrooms
Fresh Peppers
Olive Oil
Good mashing Potatoes (3lb)
1 x medium onion
Broccoli
METHOD
Boil potatoes and then chop and mix the rest of the veg and put into a separate large saucepan with an olive oil & garlic mix.
Heat through for about 15 minutes, stirring and mixing thoroughly.
When potatoes have been boiled for long enough, mash them with more garlic and olive oil mix.
When vegetables are ready, pour into an oven-proof dish and spread the potato mix over them in the form of a shepherd’s pie. Bake in a hot oven until the top turns golden and crisp.
Enjoy!

skybluetony176

Jack fruit is supposed to make a good meat substitute especially as an alternative in pulled pork and chilli. Got some at the weekend and planning a chilli this week sometime. If you fancy a curry simply make an aloo gobi.

Don’t mind some of the of the shelf meat substitutes. Quorn nuggets for instance don’t taste any different to chicken nuggets to me, probably contain the same amount of chicken in some cases too;) . Sausages can be very hit and miss. My advice is to fry them rather than grill or roast, it makes a big difference. Been using Quorn mince for years anyway and in a spagbol or something similar with lots of flavour I think most people would struggle to notice the difference.

Houchens Head

..............Been using Quorn mince for years anyway and in a spagbol or something similar with lots of flavour I think most people would struggle to notice the difference.
Someone told me that same thing some time ago. I was invited along for a "Veggie Spaghetti Bolognese" made with Quorn. "Plenty of flavour!" they said, "You'll never know the difference!"
It was like chewing on the insides of an old straw mattress! Never again!

skybluetony176

Someone told me that same thing some time ago. I was invited along for a "Veggie Spaghetti Bolognese" made with Quorn. "Plenty of flavour!" they said, "You'll never know the difference!"
It was like chewing on the insides of an old straw mattress! Never again!

I would blame the chef for that one.

Otis

@Otis did you ever get round to trying cauldron?
Yes, liked them. Still like the LM ones too though.

Can't compare them because they have different tastes. Could definitely have them both on my plate as different elements of a dish.

They were nice, so cheers for that.

I also tried the No Bull burgers from Iceland. I believe they have won the award for the best tasting vegan burger.

Quite liked them too.

It's funny how many people on here (including meat eaters) have the Quorn mince. Can't say I like it at all. ;)

Like Tony says, the Quorn nuggets taste just like chicken nuggets, so I really like them.

For me, the worst two Quorn products are their sauages and the mince.

richnrg

And don't get me started on Linda McCartney sausages:

Rehydrated Textured Soya Protein (64%), Soya Protein Concentrate, Palm Oil, Seasoning (Sulphites) (Dextrose, Salt, Flavourings, Onion Powder, Yeast Extract, Colour: Red Iron Oxide), Rapeseed Oil, Rusk (Fortified Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour), Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Salt, Raising Agent: Ammonium Hydrogen Carbonate), Stabiliser: Methyl Cellulose; Tomato Puree, Salt.

I was expecting them to be 100% Linda McCartney

skybluegod

Yes, liked them. Still like the LM ones too though.

Can't compare them because they have different tastes. Could definitely have them both on my plate as different elements of a dish.

They were nice, so cheers for that.

I also tried the No Bull burgers from Iceland. I believe they have won the award for the best tasting vegan burger.

Quite liked them too.

It's funny how many people on here (including meat eaters) have the Quorn mince. Can't say I like it at all. ;)

Like Tony says, the Quorn nuggets taste just like chicken nuggets, so I really like them.

For me, the worst two Quorn products are their sauages and the mince.

Think the Southern fried bites are the best. If you put them in a pub instead of the normal stuff 100% guarantee you wouldn't notice.

Only problem I find with the Mince is it absorbs the sauce a lot more, which means you have to add more than one jar to a spag bol.

There are lots of really good meals out there for everyone's taste. Think everyone should be a veggie, or at least cut down substantially on meat.

Nick

Administrator
Quorn Mince in a Lasagne doesn't really taste much different. It's weird to cook though.

Same as the Quorn bits to substitute chicken, how are you meant to "brown it off"?

skybluegod

Quorn Mince in a Lasagne doesn't really taste much different. It's weird to cook though.

Same as the Quorn bits to substitute chicken, how are you meant to "brown it off"?

Agree if you put it in a lasagna you really can't tell, only time you can is if you have it plain by itself imo.

Tried the Quorn wellington the other night, tasted like a giant Sausage roll!!

Otis

Knowing you Nick, you would only be interested in pissing it off.

Houchens Head

If we’re saving the plants what are we going to feed the animals that we’re going to eat instead? Mmmmm.
They can have the greens and plants they've always eaten for millions of years. Man was born omnivore. Cattle, sheep chickens etc, can't physically eat meat. They don't have the biological make-up for it. Pigs, however, will eat anything - even other pigs!

Otis

They can have the greens and plants they've always eaten for millions of years. Man was born omnivore. Cattle, sheep chickens etc, can't physically eat meat. They don't have the biological make-up for it. Pigs, however, will eat anything - even other pigs!
How many vores are there?

I can only think of omnivore, carnivore, herbivore and Charles Aznavour.

skybluetony176

We grow most of their food now because of intensive farming practices. In fact growing plants for cattle feed is a major cause of deforestation. Surprisingly it takes a considerable more acreage to feed a meat eater than it does a vegan or vegetarian.

fernandopartridge

Bean Chilli, chickpeas / black eyed beans / mushrooms
I have this a few times a year: Somerset stew with cheddar & parsley mash

You can't really go wrong with anything that has chickpeas and lentils in imo

skybluegod

Anyone any good veggie ideas for work? Work in an office with a microwave but that's about it. Bored of just scabby sandwiches and falafel wraps!

fellatio_Martinez

I'm not a veggie but I'm quite into Linda McCartney sausages. They cook quickly, have a nice texture and are full of protein which seem to satisfy me after the gym. The sausage rolls are lovely too.

I find that I can go days without eating meat and it doesn't bother me.

Users who are viewing this thread