SBT Veggie Society (1 Viewer)

skybluetony176

I’m hearing that the game changers is available on Netflix in the next couple of weeks.

SBAndy

Need to make a switch back to vegetarian at least once a week. As I’ve said before it’s difficult because the other half is fussy when it comes to veg. Need to find a good range of meals that both sound appealing and will cater to her ‘needs’. The majority that I end up finding online are the same meal (i.e. curry, chilli) with different vegetables in. Any suggestions or recipes welcome.

rob9872

I had a vegan Q pie last night at FG! I'm never going veggie, but for a one off I've got to admit it was very nice :)

NorthernWisdom

Need to make a switch back to vegetarian at least once a week. As I’ve said before it’s difficult because the other half is fussy when it comes to veg. Need to find a good range of meals that both sound appealing and will cater to her ‘needs’. The majority that I end up finding online are the same meal (i.e. curry, chilli) with different vegetables in. Any suggestions or recipes welcome.
I am by no means a vegetarian(!) but have a go at cauliflower paprikash.

Tabouleh is also not a bad salad (if you get rid of the parsley!) but obviously the weather isn't going in the right direction for a salad, necessarily!

shmmeee

My sister is veggie and had this amazing cauliflower cheese pie instead of roast beef with dinner on Sunday. Probably from Waitrose knowing her. Was outstanding though.

SkyBlueDom26

0_mr-broccoli.jpg

greys4life

try here Recipes Archive | Vegetarian Society

I had a vegan Q pie last night at FG! I'm never going veggie, but for a one off I've got to admit it was very nice :)

I was gutted that I couldn't get FGR love their pies and samosas

Liquid Gold

Been a Veggie for about a year now. Thought I'd struggle more than I did making the change.

So much easier to make the switch nowadays. Loads of options in normal supermarkets, you don't feel like you are missing out or having to make too much effort. I remember my sister going Veggie as a teenager in the late 80s early 90s. Her school dinner was exactly the same as everyone else's but with the meat element being replaced by a handful of grated cheese! I highly doubt it was veggie cheese either.

One of my best finds is the Vivera kebab meat. So nice, great texture and flavor without the gristle. Couple of pittas, salad, garlic mayo and hot chilli sauce. Better than from the takeaway.
View attachment 13060
ctXSfQRPeSSVK6Nf8
That stuff is bloody lovely if a bit pricey.

I'm finding myself drifting more towards vegan stuff recently. Been veggie for over a decade with no issue and have no intention to go vegan full time but there are great vegan substitutes now and try to eat a couple of full vegan meals a week.

Alkhen

I'm finding myself drifting more towards vegan stuff recently. Been veggie for over a decade with no issue and have no intention to go vegan full time but there are great vegan substitutes now and try to eat a couple of full vegan meals a week.

yep I think i'll end up going that way, as you said its getting much easier nowadays. i dont drink milk but that because i now prefer Oat milk (Oatly barista edition)

skybluetony176

Richmond Vegan Sausages are top draw. The people at Quorn and Linda McCartny have some catching up to do.

Helmans Vegan mayonnaise is also the tastiest mayo I’ve ever eaten.

Just switched to Asda’s vegan cheese and although I’m not going to pretend it tastes just like cheddar it is perfectly palatable, especially with a bit of pickle or some onions.

Greggs vegan sausage rolls are the mutts, I believe they’re bringing out a vegan steak bake as well.

The vegan wrap from subways is really good too. You just have to put up with explaining to whoever is serving you that if you put cheese on it it isn’t vegan. They don’t offer a vegan cheese.

skybluetony176

yep I think i'll end up going that way, as you said its getting much easier nowadays. i dont drink milk but that because i now prefer Oat milk (Oatly barista edition)

Oat milk is delicious in coffee, especially a latte. I have a mate who’s not veggie or vegan but fancies himself as a coffee expert and he turned me onto the delight of oat milk in a latte long before I ever considered becoming a veggie. Of the high street brands only Starbucks offer it currently from what I’ve seen.

Alkhen

Tesco-Plant-Chef-2-Meat-Free-Burgers-57ad1abb-0908-4eb0-91a4-7adb9af1973f-0-2400x1853.jpg

Get on these, only £1.50 for 2. Up there with the best I've had. Only problem is the stackers at my local tesco keep putting them upright on the shelf and the 2 patties sort of merge. No drama just means I re-form them to one and have a mega Burger

Otis

Ha.

Damn. I was there yesterday and looked at these and was totally unsure if they would be any good or not, so left it.

I would have bought them on that recommendation.

Liquid Gold

Tesco-Plant-Chef-2-Meat-Free-Burgers-57ad1abb-0908-4eb0-91a4-7adb9af1973f-0-2400x1853.jpg

Get on these, only £1.50 for 2. Up there with the best I've had. Only problem is the stackers at my local tesco keep putting them upright on the shelf and the 2 patties sort of merge. No drama just means I re-form them to one and have a mega Burger
Yeah these are great, Tesco got a really good vegan range at the moment.

my other half is drinking vegan baileys today. Made from almond milk.

Great_Expectations

Very much embracing the whole ‘new year, new me’ cliche, but my partner has never been a big fan of meat (cue jokes), and is very much into the environment so has been keen to try going Vegan for a little while now. So in the spirit of compromise, we are going to try being Vegan Sunday - Thursday, and if we fancy it then we can have non-vegan products on Friday/Saturday.

It wouldn’t be my ideal as I love meat, but equally I’m sort of excited by trying something new. My big worry is timing; we have a four month old, an active social life and I work full time (albeit from home two days). Things like planning lunches and those nights where I’m home late and fancy a quick, easy meal.

There’s some really good tips and links in this group, but anymore would be great! For example, quick and heathy breakfasts before work?

Does anyone take any vitamins supplements etc?

clint van damme

Very much embracing the whole ‘new year, new me’ cliche, but my partner has never been a big fan of meat (cue jokes), and is very much into the environment so has been keen to try going Vegan for a little while now. So in the spirit of compromise, we are going to try being Vegan Sunday - Thursday, and if we fancy it then we can have non-vegan products on Friday/Saturday.

It wouldn’t be my ideal as I love meat, but equally I’m sort of excited by trying something new. My big worry is timing; we have a four month old, an active social life and I work full time (albeit from home two days). Things like planning lunches and those nights where I’m home late and fancy a quick, easy meal.

There’s some really good tips and links in this group, but anymore would be great! For example, quick and heathy breakfasts before work?

Does anyone take any vitamins supplements etc?

Massively reduced the amount of meat I was eating towards the end of last year and felt great for doing so.
Probably only are meat a couple of times a week and after a couple of weeks of doing it started craving veggie food!

Been back to my old habits over Christmas but going to get back on it tomorrow.
Generally for breakfast I'll have porridge which you can make with a vegan milk and there's a variety of toppings you can put on it. I generally have 1 or 2 types of fruit and some sort of nut/seed sprinkles.

Great_Expectations

Massively reduced the amount of meat I was eating towards the end of last year and felt great for doing so.
Probably only are meat a couple of times a week and after a couple of weeks of doing it started craving veggie food!

Been back to my old habits over Christmas but going to get back on it tomorrow.
Generally for breakfast I'll have porridge which you can make with a vegan milk and there's a variety of toppings you can put on it. I generally have 1 or 2 types of fruit and some sort of nut/seed sprinkles.

Good to hear; there is hope!

Any particular veggie foods you were craving?

We’ve just been for a mini shop and we picked up a few things recommended on here. We picked up the one of the meat alternatives beginning with an S (can’t find it on here now!) which looks interesting!

clint van damme

Good to hear; there is hope!

Any particular veggie foods you were craving?

We’ve just been for a mini shop and we picked up a few things recommended on here. We picked up the one of the meat alternatives beginning with an S (can’t find it on here now!) which looks interesting!

I've been making a sweet potato and butternut squash curry which I've got a right taste for and the wife made veggies pies which were lovely.

I haven't really bothered with the quorn/supermarket veggie stuff more just meals I've made myself. I did try a pie from the supermarket but it was rank nowhere near as good as the ones I mentioned that my wife made

Hoping to introduce more vegan options in to my diet as well. But as I say, still eating meat a couple of days a week and especially if I'm eating out

theferret

Tried a Greggs vegan slice today, was decent enough, textured gravy is the best way I can describe it, so pretty much like a normal steak slice. I've tried going veggie a number of times to support my daughter and for ethical reasons, but I'm just weak I guess. Have settled now for just eating meat once or twice a week. Might give it a go again at some point, and the more of these meat substitute products come to market the better.

Going back to the op, I know someone who tried a beyond meat burger at Burger King in the US, said it was levels above the Quorn stuff we're used to in terms of flavour and texture.

hill83

We’ve started only eating vegetarian meals at home but I’m already sick of trying to pretend we are eating meat. I’d rather just go full veggie than use quorn etc.

Saying that I already feel healthier from doing it. Probably a placebo though to be fair.

clint van damme

We’ve started only eating vegetarian meals at home but I’m already sick of trying to pretend we are eating meat. I’d rather just go full veggie than use quorn etc.

Saying that I already feel healthier from doing it. Probably a placebo though to be fair.

I don't think it's a placebo. I definitely feel better for cutting back on meat.
Agree about the faux meat products. I've been eating actual vegetables and fruit which I think is what's making me feel the benefits.
Having said that, got wired in to a mutton curry news years day and will be polishing of a full Sunday roast tomorrow.

Grendel

Unfortunately the fact it’s become a trend has meant a load of products have entered the market that are just awful.

W

westcountry_skyblue

I’m giving veggie a try now to,Don’t think I’d miss meat.

Mr Panda

Me and my partner are so heavily reliant on meat that we have it almost everyday for dinner and that's the norm. I'm now trying to slowly introduce some vegetarian/vegan meals into my weekly dinner plan, say two a week. I'm not really missing the meat when I substitute it with things like chickpeas and different varieties of beans etc.

A couple of straight forward meals I've done recently:

Chickpea curry
Chilli con carne recipe (Remove the beef. Add chickpeas and cannellini beans instead)

Going to try this next week:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/best_vegetable_lasagne_50381

skybluetony176

Me and my partner are so heavily reliant on meat that we have it almost everyday for dinner and that's the norm. I'm now trying to slowly introduce some vegetarian/vegan meals into my weekly dinner plan, say two a week. I'm not really missing the meat when I substitute it with things like chickpeas and different varieties of beans etc.

A couple of straight forward meals I've done recently:

Chickpea curry
Chilli con carne recipe (Remove the beef. Add chickpeas and cannellini beans instead)

Going to try this next week:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/best_vegetable_lasagne_50381
I’d recommend using green and red lentils rather than the beans. A bit more prep for the green lentils but well worth it. Lentils are by a long way the best substitute for minced up meat in chilli, spag bol or any recipe where you would normally use a minced up meat. A lot of gravy granules are also vegan (although a lot of people don’t realise) so if you want to add a meat flavour add a bit of gravy to it, although I don’t bother myself.

Mr Panda

I’d recommend using green and red lentils rather than the beans. A bit more prep for the green lentils but well worth it. Lentils are by a long way the best substitute for minced up meat in chilli, spag bol or any recipe where you would normally use a minced up meat. A lot of gravy granules are also vegan (although a lot of people don’t realise) so if you want to add a meat flavour add a bit of gravy to it, although I don’t bother myself.

I'll take a look into that :)

Grendel

If you want vegetarian food and have to have ready meals dit to time restrictions personally I would look at vegetable choices rather than those that attempt to be meat substitutes. As an example Charlie Bingham lasagne is lentil based and actually is very good.

I’ve never really found sausage substitutes great at all. There is a cauldron brand which is ok as a dinner (ie with veg and mash etc and you can get a Sainsbury’s onion gravy) but it’s not vegan as has some milk.

For some reason on the vegan side chicken substitute burgers say with the This isn’t chicken range is as good as the real thing - probably because the real thing tastes nothing like chicken as well - same for vegan sausage rolls

My preference for milk substitute 100% is oat milk as it contains less water for hot drinks and cooking. Makes perfect mash

Cheese for vegans oh dear. The koko brand they sell at Waitrose and Holland and Barrett is as good as anything out there in my view.

That said the pizza express vegan pizza sold in supermarkets and take out Papa John one is ok.

skybluetony176

A good chicken substitute is the humble cauliflower. The wife makes awesome buffalo cauliflower wings (tons of recipes on line). If you roast the florets first then add them to a curry they’re awesome. They just take on flavour much like chicken but unlike most of the manufactured chicken substitutes they also have texture which makes them far far more palatable.

Users who are viewing this thread