Transfer Rumour Haji Wright (8 Viewers)

fernandopartridge

The "tap-in" debate aside, it's not unreasonable for people to want more from their record striker signing.

If he continues to tap in, then great, the focus is taken away from the many other elements of his game.

It's unsustainable to be reliant on players creating something from nothing on their own

Londonccfcfan

Number of goals scored = a silly goal stat? What would a sensible goal stat look like? How many 30 yards screamers or how about how many scored when it is raining?

You have to be in the right position to score a tap in. That in itself is one of the most important skills for a striker and the ability to be in the right place at the right time is why players like Erling Haaland are so prolific.
How about the basics of a striker holding the ball up...or even trapping it. Never mind link play. Hes atrocious. I think hes looking worse game by game.

edgy

It's unsustainable to be reliant on players creating something from nothing on their own

Agree but that's an extreme statement. Equally, we could say it's unsustainable to be reliant on individual players scoring regularly. Thankfully he got 2 at the weekend, so as I said the focus on his other attributes are diminished.

We're not asking him to create something from nothing. We are asking for him to contribute the other basics of forward play and contribute to the team effort when he isn't scoring.

Ccfcisparks

Agree but that's an extreme statement. Equally, we could say it's unsustainable to be reliant on individual players scoring regularly. Thankfully he got 2 at the weekend, so as I said the focus on his other attributes are diminished.

We're not asking him to create something from nothing. We are asking for him to contribute the other basics of forward play and contribute to the team effort when he isn't scoring.
Why do people defend Godden when the same argument is proposed about him, but for Wright its a criticism if he just scores goals and offers nothing else?

Deity

Why do people defend Godden when the same argument is proposed about him, but for Wright its a criticism if he just scores goals and offers nothing else?
Wrights pace alone offers more than Godden …. Despite Robins arguing otherwise neither player link the play up … but having Wrights pace forces defences to defend deeper against us. Last year we had Vik doing the same and our midfield could exploit that space in midfield, this year our midfield is our Achilles heal. Yes our centre of defence looks weak but they don’t get much cover from our midfield relative to most other teams.

edgy

I dont defend Godden. In fact I was going to bring him up as reference. I feel the same about Godden as I do with Wright. Whilst they are scoring, great. But other than that.....

I dont buy into the idea that Wright was bought to just "score goals". There's other debates on this forum about stats used by the recruitment teams before making signings. He has shown many more attributes at previous teams but we haven't seen them yet.

Modern footballers have to offer more than just one output, especially in such a competitive league such as the Championship. A team simply cannot afford a passenger.

He's heading in the right direction slowly. I feel more positive about his chances here now we are looking at a formation change.

skybluecam

How about the basics of a striker holding the ball up...or even trapping it. Never mind link play. Hes atrocious. I think hes looking worse game by game.
Goals aren’t everything for a striker, and I’ll be the first to say it.

But calling one atrocious when they scored a brace is ridiculous. If that soft pen isn’t given and Dasilva clears it properly we win 2-1 thanks to Wright.

baldy

But calling one atrocious when they scored a brace is ridiculous. If that soft pen isn’t given and Dasilva clears it properly we win 2-1 thanks to Wright.

Your ifs & maybe comments there are grasping a bit…

False9

I think that is a fair criticism of him, not holding the ball up when we are under pressure. I'm pretty sure he lost it prior to the Mcfadz pen.

He's got other attributes like pace and ball carrying that we don't seem to use as much as we should. Versus WBA he was on the shoulder of the defender many times but the pass doesn't come quick enough.

Greggs

I'm not sure it works like that...

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
I think that is a fair criticism of him, not holding the ball up when we are under pressure. I'm pretty sure he lost it prior to the Mcfadz pen.

He's got other attributes like pace and ball carrying that we don't seem to use as much as we should. Versus WBA he was on the shoulder of the defender many times but the pass doesn't come quick enough.
Nope. Sheaf misplaced a pass aimed at Wright, and then it was only Wright chasing PNE players down before the through-ball.

Essexrobbie

Question is, will he be left out next time out in favour of Simms who played quite well when he came on? If Robins didn't know his best side against Preston, he sure as hell doesn't now.

Grendel

he needs to boss games and win them single handedly

Happy_Martian

How many of today's Champ strikers can do all that you are expecting from a No. 9 ? Think you're still expecting him to be a Gyokeres clone and he's not. And before you answer, he's made his name in Turkish football. Was he required to hold the ball up in those games ? Or from all the Youtube footage we saw, was his remit to run on to through balls with his pace ?

And looking worse ? When Godden scores a brace, is he deemed to be worse ? We know Godden isn't a hold-up striker so why should you expect Wright to be ?

But pleased you've made your definitive decision based on 2 starts. I'm very glad Robins doesn't believe the same thing.

Happy_Martian

As I replied to London, people are still expecting him to be a Gyokeres clone and he's not even close. He (and Simms) is more akin to Godden in his play than an out-and-out forward. I'd even compare him to Ross Stewart during his Sunderland time. Yes, he can hold the ball up or knock it off but his strength appears to be chasing through balls.

Greggs

To be fair I'd welcome him back just to take corners

napolimp

And if Kitching actually knew where his man was, then we would have won 2-0. I'd also add that Wright created the first goal by bullying their CB.

Tommo1993

Exactly! Some people are fucking weird and not in a funny way.

Greggs, Greggs. If I’d have broken down on the way, I wouldn’t have seen the Preston game. Mad how things just happen.

If I hadn’t shit myself I wouldn’t have been ejected from the library.

Greggs

Greggs, Greggs. If I’d have broken down on the way, I wouldn’t have seen the Preston game. Mad how things just happen.

If I hadn’t shit myself I wouldn’t have been ejected from the library.
People fail to grasp reality, don't they. I just put the oven on, good job, because if I didn't then my dinner wouldn't be cooked - I'd have to a dodgy takeaway and end up shitting myself in the library.

Users who are viewing this thread