Transfer Rumour Haji Wright (5 Viewers)

ccfc1234

The assessment of Haji from some of our fans is totally baffling. He’s easily been our best player going forward this season and his stats back that up. I get people like Sakamoto and he’s also been great in parts, but he also spent a lot of time totally ineffective and wasn’t even in the team to start off with. To say that Sakamoto is a raging success and Haji hasn’t worked out is absolute nonsense. How can anyone come to the conclusion that Sakamoto and Milan have contributed more??
I guess some of the difference could be explained by the fees involved and therefore expectation levels? Saka 1 mill and Wright is the most expensive player in the history of CCFC?

Skyblue_CP

I guess some of the difference could be explained by the fees involved and therefore expectation levels? Saka 1 mill and Wright is the most expensive player in the history of CCFC?
It could, but at the end of the day he didn’t choose his price tag. Besides he cost the most but he also has the most goal contributions in the team.

CCFCSteve

He’s a very relaxed guy and quite tall and lanky. I think these factors make him look a bit languid but it doesn’t mean he isn’t trying. He’s just never going to look like a sprinter.

We are also comparing to Gyokeres who is an absolute animal and plays like he is to be executed if he doesn’t win.

Yeah, I think the final sentence hits the nail on the head….everyone has still got Vik fresh in their minds and continue to make mental comparisons.

Fair play to Wight and Simms though, they’ve just cracked on and improved throughout the season after having the most unenviable task since Bellamy replaced Robbie Keane !

Mucca Mad Boys

The assessment of Haji from some of our fans is totally baffling. He’s easily been our best player going forward this season and his stats back that up. I get people like Sakamoto and he’s also been great in parts, but he also spent a lot of time totally ineffective and wasn’t even in the team to start off with. To say that Sakamoto is a raging success and Haji hasn’t worked out is absolute nonsense. How anyone can come to the conclusion that Sakamoto and Milan have contributed more??

Wright is a lot better than Sakamoto and it’s not even close.

Comparing the xG stat for both, Sakamoto over performed on that metric whilst Wright has underperformed. Going into next season, with similar performances, Wright will end up with more goals and Sakamoto with less goals.

Sakamoto’s value is his dribbling and link up play with MVE, we’ve really missed that in his absence.

Chris1987

Comparing the xG stat for both, Sakamoto over performed on that metric whilst Wright has underperformed. Going into next season, with similar performances, Wright will end up with more goals and Sakamoto with less goals.

Sakamoto’s value is his dribbling and link up play with MVE, we’ve really missed that in his absence.
I think that we've really missed Saka's defensive work too. Deceptive how much tracking back he did .

Mucca Mad Boys

I think that we've really missed Saka's defensive work too. Deceptive how much tracking back he did .
Yes, he offered so much and really was the lynchpin in making 4-2-3-1 work for us. His tricky dribbling and back tracking have been huge.

Since his injury, it’s been square legs in round holes. MVE isn’t a winger and Tavares hasn’t been trusted to start much either and I doubt he has the quality to make a big difference.

It’s a bit shit, but another body or two in that area and we’re laughing.

Robinshio

not sure re your XG - does that not mean that Sakamoto is a better finisher - somebody like David speedie would have a higher conversion rate of XG than a goal poacher, but his ratio of Goals to XG would have been much higher

Mucca Mad Boys

not sure re your XG - does that not mean that Sakamoto is a better finisher - somebody like David speedie would have a higher conversion rate of XG than a goal poacher, but his ratio of Goals to XG would have been much higher

Without going too into it, at the surface level, Sakamoto should have less goals because he’s scored high difficulty (3.2 xG) chances and the opposite is true of Wright (xG 17.9).

It’s an indicator more than anything but to give an idea, Sakamoto has the same xG per game as Kasey Palmer. He’s just outperformed it by over double.

The statistical trend is that players revert to the mean i.e. if a player consistently gets 10 xG, they will usually end up with 10 goals give if take.

Mucca Mad Boys

Wright never would be,or could be world class.
The mere thought of it is laughable when you think of truly world class players.

We probably would’ve said the same thing about Gyokeres 2 years ago yet he’s probably joining an elite team in the summer.

You never know how players can take off.

Brighton Sky Blue

Without going too into it, at the surface level, Sakamoto should have less goals because he’s scored high difficulty (3.2 xG) chances and the opposite is true of Wright (xG 17.9).

It’s an indicator more than anything but to give an idea, Sakamoto has the same xG per game as Kasey Palmer. He’s just outperformed it by over double.

The statistical trend is that players revert to the mean i.e. if a player consistently gets 10 xG, they will usually end up with 10 goals give if take.
Doesn’t it actually show that Wright needs to be a more consistent finisher and that Sakamoto needs more supply?

Mucca Mad Boys

Doesn’t it actually show that Wright needs to be a more consistent finisher and that Sakamoto needs more supply?

Not necessarily. I rate Sakamoto highly and the sceptic in me sees this historic goal scoring record and his xG for this season and it paints a picture that perhaps he had an excellent run of form.

On a more positive note, like Wright, Sakamoto will have a full preseason, be more settled in the UK and should come back stronger from his injury.

We’ll have to wait and see how MR wishes to use him next season.

shmmeee

What pool of players is xG taken from to average? Surely whatever cohort it is has some level of normal distribution and then xG is telling you where they lie. So there’s not necessarily a regression to the mean as some players can genuinely be better finishers than the average?

Hertsccfc

I think it shows more that Wright consistently gets into good goalscoring positions, which is exactly what you want in a striker. One thing you notice about him is even when he isn't having a great game he still seems dangerous.

shmmeee

Low xG can also mean you take a lot of pot shots. Hamer always outperformed his because he shot from low xG positions a lot but was better from range than most so scored more.

Warwickhunt

Not necessarily. I rate Sakamoto highly and the sceptic in me sees this historic goal scoring record and his xG for this season and it paints a picture that perhaps he had an excellent run of form.

On a more positive note, like Wright, Sakamoto will have a full preseason, be more settled in the UK and should come back stronger from his injury.

We’ll have to wait and see how MR wishes to use him next season.
He learnt English very well whilst he has been recovering so will be able to fuck and blind like a local

skybluecam

What pool of players is xG taken from to average? Surely whatever cohort it is has some level of normal distribution and then xG is telling you where they lie. So there’s not necessarily a regression to the mean as some players can genuinely be better finishers than the average?
To be fair xg isn't one stat, it's a variety of different models produced by different companies, all which will give different outcomes.

Your point is generally true though. Although I do wonder, lets say they're using data from top European leagues, would we not expect those players to be better finishers than Championship players, on average? So perhaps these xg figures are overstated for the level.

All the models are proprietary though so it's hard to get real detail on how they're calculated.

shmmeee

To be fair xg isn't one stat, it's a variety of different models produced by different companies, all which will give different outcomes.

Your point is generally true though. Although I do wonder, lets say they're using data from top European leagues, would we not expect those players to be better finishers than Championship players, on average? So perhaps these xg figures are overstated for the level.

All the models are proprietary though so it's hard to get real detail on how they're calculated.

Yeah that’s the real issue. We need open data and open algos we can see what’s happening really, but I can’t see that happening.

Old Warwickshire lad

We probably would’ve said the same thing about Gyokeres 2 years ago yet he’s probably joining an elite team in the summer.

You never know how players can take off.
Yok is a very good striker. He is not world class,( not yet anyway).
Wright is nowhere near either, he has scored some good goals for us. But his all round game is still poor, and without the ball he may as well not be on the pitch.

steve cooper

You can twist stats any way you want.

Sakamoto scoring over double his xg is very unlikely to be sustainable though, the best finishers in the world can't manage that.
The problem with Sakamoto is, his form dipped sharply following his treatment by the thugs at Norwich. Then with his current injury that's a lot to come back from, confidence wise. He's unlikely to repeat that run of form IMO.

Mucca Mad Boys

The problem with Sakamoto is, his form dipped sharply following his treatment by the thugs at Norwich. Then with his current injury that's a lot to come back from, confidence wise. He's unlikely to repeat that run of form IMO.

Agreed on the point about his form dipping and it’s worth considering that he had played a lot of minutes with no rotation so he was probably fatigued as well as rough up.

Next season you’d hope that we multiple players to give the oppositions something to think about.

Users who are viewing this thread