Do you want to discuss boring politics? (31 Viewers)

chiefdave

No chance of something like the 4 day week coming in here when we have a government whose views are so far behind the times, or more likely who are more concerned about their property owning donors than the health and wellbeing of the workforce.

How out of touch can you be. I don't know anyone who is working from home who is desperate to return to the office. At most people want the option of using an office when necessary but having flexibility to work from home.
Nationwide have the right idea.

fernandopartridge

Sunak's interest is the commercial landlords whom his party represents.

That said, I'm getting a bit pissed off with my own employer pursuing a big decrease in office space and potential limitation on days permitted to be spent in the office. I have not agreed to this and don't think a questionnaire they issued during a sunny period last summer is a reliable barometer of staff views on it.

D

Deleted member 4439

Sunak's interest is the commercial landlords whom his party represents.

Some very big interests in getting us back into the offices, where can be with our "friends", and get our hair cut during the day.

The pressure from developers and large chains relying on disposable incomes will be huge in the months to come, when in fact this is an opportunity to radically change our lives around local communities, reduce carbon emissions (both from transport and supporting infrastructure) and materially increase the quality of our lives.

Last edited by a moderator:

chiefdave

when in fact this is an opportunity to radically change our lives around local communities
15 minutes cities (the number sometimes changes but the basic idea doesn't), something that was a hot topic in urbanism even before the pandemic.

Might have posted this before but its worth a watch as a basic intro to the idea but its pretty much self explanatory. Everything you need within 15 minutes of your home.

chiefdave

Paying for a diet consultant but also £669 on cupcakes!

How do you get a way with charging £864 for a haircut and over £5K at Primark - you could buy the entire store for that. Although that's nothing compared to over £100K on beauty products.

Does that not flag up as dodgy, surely the money is being skimmed off somewhere.

PVA

Of course it's dodgy, but that doesn't matter these days. This government is absolutely teflon and just carry out blatant corruption in front of us and no one seems to care.

Patel in particular can do what she likes as she hates foreigners as much as the average Tory voter.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Alex Salmond in danger of becoming Scotland's Farage. What does he hope to achieve with another independence party other than split the independence vote?

Ah, yes. His ego.

This is what happens a lot with the left - they end up splintering into factions and so none of them end up in power. The right, apart from the extreme right, largely tend to rally round the Conservatives despite their small differences. This is why we have so many right wing governments in a nation that broadly supports liberal policy,

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

One thing this Scotland thing is showing is that they're not these principled people fighting for a cause for a cause they believe. They're as much ego-driven, power-hungry and driven by self-interest as every other politician. Hopefully it'll lead to the independence movement taking a long hard look at exactly where they're going and who's in power.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Also annoyed at Johnson spouting the 'capitalism' nonsense as being the reason behind the vaccines. Utter bollocks. If capitalism was behind it they'd be charging tens of thousands a dose. Massive demand, supply can't keep up - price should be much higher than it is and climbing. If 'PharmaBro' had been in charge we'd be looking at having to bankrupt the country to get enough.

Reason it's affordable is because it's being done 'at cost' for public health reasons (i.e. society) and distributed by a public service provider. Not capitalism.

Do you know what we have got from capitalism in this pandemic? Billions wasted on a privately developed T&T system and PPE that was unfit for use due to giving contracts to greedy fuckers with little or no experience using contacts and donations to those in power.

How he can even say this stuff with a straight face is staggering. If he truly believes it he truly is an idiot who has no understanding of what capitalism actually is.

Ian1779

It’s a sad fucking state of affairs when you’ve literally photoshopped out a Corbyn banner in your local election propaganda. Probably because you’ve got no chance of inspiring this many people at any time.

D

Deleted member 4439

When I first came across this I was pretty shocked. And whilst I don't think I'm going to give jingo jean any credit, I did think back to my dna results that showed that I was 'technically only 10 percent English even though I, my parents and grandparents were both born in England.

As one poster has said on YT, perhaps there was a confusion of ethnicity, culture and citizenship (appreciate that British is citizenship, not English).

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian1779

When I first came across this I was pretty shocked. And whilst I don't think I'm going to give jingo jean any credit, I did think back to my dna results that showed that I was 'technically only 10 percent English even though I, my parents and grandparents were both born in England.

As one poster has said on YT, perhaps there was a confusion of ethnicity, culture and citizenship (appreciate that British is citizenship, not English).

Jean’s gonna be pissed when someone tells her where the Anglo-Saxons originated from.

D

Deleted member 4439

In fact, I hadn't picked up on her use of the word 'pollution'. Lammy does indeed deserve credit for not having rised to that one. Not sure I could have held myself back.

shmmeee

What always gets me about this stuff and the Amish, you’ve decided on a cut off when things are OK, why then?

For the Amish: why is 1500 technology OK but 1900 tech not?

For Jean: why does someone who moved here 600 years ago English but someone who moved 60 years ago not?

Why the random cut off?

D

Deleted member 4439

What always gets me about this stuff and the Amish, you’ve decided on a cut off when things are OK, why then?

For Jean: why does someone who moved here 600 years ago English but someone who moved 60 years ago not?

Why the random cut off?

Gene pool sample size. Once there's enough of it we'll all be officially African :)

PVA

Poor old Jean must get very confused when watching the England football team.

'Look at this Roy, there's a load of foreigners playing for England! It's PC gone mad Roy!'

Ian1779

Why the random cut off?
It’s like Jean thinks there is a finite amount of Englishness available and people are going to steal hers. Reinforced by her use of the polluted phrase.

PVA

Can't have the state broadcaster covering any negative press surrounding the Dear Leader now can we

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread