Do you want to discuss boring politics? (18 Viewers)

PVA

They do, however, have a story on the front page of their website about the conduct of David Cameron when in office. Much more relevant than the conduct of the sitting Prime Minister, of course.

wingy

Can't have the state broadcaster covering any negative press surrounding the Dear Leader now can we

Ah history .
I wonder if she's had wind of when the upcoming nuptials are to be announced ,spect it's imminent personally for a lovely sunlit specular special segment on news 24.

fernandopartridge

What always gets me about this stuff and the Amish, you’ve decided on a cut off when things are OK, why then?

For the Amish: why is 1500 technology OK but 1900 tech not?

For Jean: why does someone who moved here 600 years ago English but someone who moved 60 years ago not?

Why the random cut off?
Was thinking similar to that myself. It's almost as if the time Jean thinks she's living in is the end of time. Sounds a bit like the prevailing boomer outlook.

hill83

What always gets me about this stuff and the Amish, you’ve decided on a cut off when things are OK, why then?

For the Amish: why is 1500 technology OK but 1900 tech not?

For Jean: why does someone who moved here 600 years ago English but someone who moved 60 years ago not?

Why the random cut off?

For people like her it’s not a random cut off. It’s black and brown people turning up and polluting the ‘English stock’. Well guess what love, we are here so you can swivel.*

*I’ve had a beer

D

Deleted member 4439

Was thinking similar to that myself. It's almost as if the time Jean thinks she's living in is the end of time. Sounds a bit like the prevailing boomer outlook.

Mistaking power and institutional authority with identity rather than class? If you want to play that game, surely Gex X are running most things by now? Most boomers are retired or in nursing homes or dead, and hardly all-responsible for the 'prevailing' outlook.

shmmeee

Mistaking power and institutional authority with identity rather than class? If you want to play that game, surely Gex X are running most things by now? Most boomers are retired or in nursing homes or dead, and hardly all-responsible for the 'prevailing' outlook.

Most Gen X seem to have been rolled into either Boomers or Millenials. I’m classed as Millenial despite being 19 at the turn of the century.

Evo1883

When I first came across this I was pretty shocked. And whilst I don't think I'm going to give jingo jean any credit, I did think back to my dna results that showed that I was 'technically only 10 percent English even though I, my parents and grandparents were both born in England.

As one poster has said on YT, perhaps there was a confusion of ethnicity, culture and citizenship (appreciate that British is citizenship, not English).

Cant stand Lammy ...but he's English.

Whenever people ask me where I'm from my natural instinct is to say Britain , used to get asked alot when on tour or exercise with the army.

British English whatever don't matter to me .

I looked at social media after this interview and saw many people describing their nationality and I must say even they seem somewhat confused.

I'm quarter Welsh, born in England.
So reality is I'm English.

Ben stokes is a kiwi .
Raheem Sterling is Jamaican

It's a very simple concept tbh

D

Deleted member 4439

Cant stand Lammy ...but he's English.

Whenever people ask me where I'm from my natural instinct is to say Britain , used to get asked alot when on tour or exercise with the army.

British English whatever don't matter to me .

I looked at social media after this interview and saw many people describing their nationality and I must say even they seem somewhat confused.

I'm quarter Welsh, born in England.
So reality is I'm English.

Ben stokes is a kiwi .
Raheem Sterling is Jamaican

It's a very simple concept tbh

Yes, my natural inclination is to say that, for what it matters, your 'nationality' is the country into which you are born.

And btw, not a fan of Lammy either.

TomRad85

Yes, my natural inclination is to say that, for what it matters, your 'nationality' is the country into which you are born.

Actually I'd say it's down to the individual on how they feel. My wife was born in England, a lot of her ways are very English if you like, but she sees me as English and herself as Turkish Cypriot.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Evo1883

I can see why people get confused though Or struggle .

My cousins were born in the USA, to English parents several months after moving there .

They class themselves as English, but really what are they ? American or English..I'm enclined to say American

D

Deleted member 4439

Most Gen X seem to have been rolled into either Boomers or Millenials. I’m classed as Millenial despite being 19 at the turn of the century.

Yes, the greatest misappropriation of our times was when Billy Idol called his band Gen X, the big boomer.

Evo1883

Equally my partner is Welsh ..I'm English.

Kids born in England
Technically they have more Welsh blood as I'm quarter Welsh.
How do I win this fight when it comes to sport ?
😁

Evo1883

My own house hopefully :D
Some lovely houses for sale in hillfields , prior deram walk and Jardine crescent mate ... should have a look
giphy.gif

jimmyhillsfanclub

Give or take.....

Boomers: post WW2 - 1964.
Gen X: 65-80
Gen Y: 81- 96 (Millenials)
Gen Z: 97- 2012
Gen Alpha: 2013 - now

I'm Gen X....although prefer Generation RAVE.

Rave On.

TomRad85

Yup. Place of birth is fluke, identity is something else.
Indeed. My son, who we're expecting to arrive late July will be half English, half Turkish. He won't be 100% English just because he was born here. He may feel more culturally English (probably not as my wife's family will probably be all over us when he arrives) but that won't change what he is. Which is fine, I want him to be proud of being both English and Turkish, I also want him to speak both languages. The only Turkish I know is how to insult someone or how to ask them if they want some watermelon.

Evo1883

What would you call David Phillips though? He sure ain't German. Not convinced Cliff Richard is Indian, either.
Cliff lived in India for the first 8 years of his life .
I mean really he's as Indian as any migrant child born here is English.

Also , isn't that basically what the caller said to lammy , I mean they used similar logic

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4439

Indeed. My son, who we're expecting to arrive late July will be half English, half Turkish. He won't be 100% English just because he was born here. He may feel more culturally English (probably not as my wife's family will probably be all over us when he arrives) but that won't change what he is. Which is fine, I want him to be proud of being both English and Turkish, I also want him to speak both languages. The only Turkish I know is how to insult someone or how to ask them if they want some watermelon.

Spent more than a year travelling through Turkey, back in 85. I don't know whether it's still the same, but my abiding memory of the country is the hospitality and friendliness of its people.

(Was a bit different on the Kurdish Western side, but I understand why that might be).

Evo1883

Spent 6 months in Cyprus, lovely place ..well it was back then I'd hope it still was now

We used to deliver food packages to the poorer people living in the North

TomRad85

Spent more than a year travelling through Turkey, back in 85. I don't know whether it's still the same, but my abiding memory of the country is the hospitality and friendliness of its people.

(Was a bit different on the Kurdish Western side, but I understand why that might be).
Yes without wishing to get into any of the politics of the country, the parts you would visit the people are lovely yes.

TomRad85

Spent 6 months in Cyprus, lovely place ..well it was back then I'd hope it still was now

We used to deliver food packages to the poorer people living in the North
Again, don't want to get into the politics of that country either haha, it would be better if the Greeks and the Turks would just chill. But its a lovely country, we go every year.

Evo1883

Again, don't want to get into the politics of that country either haha, it would be better if the Greeks and the Turks would just chill. But its a lovely country, we go every year.

Well I spent many night stagging on the buffer zone ... pretty much always peaceful and a bit of a pointless tour but great for the sun

Our OP was literally in the edge of Nicosia overlooking the mountain with the Turkish flag on it

TomRad85

Well I spent many night stagging on the buffer zone ... pretty much always peaceful and a bit of a pointless tour but great for the sun

Our OP was literally in the edge of Nicosia overlooking the mountain with the Turkish flag on it
I love the flag on the mountain tbh, top trolling.

Users who are viewing this thread