Do you want to discuss boring politics? (17 Viewers)

Evo1883

There's also an abandoned city in the North of Cyprus isn't there ?

Famagusta

The drive down the buffer zone is sad in a way ...mostly abandoned bullet hole ridden houses..People lost lives and memories .

I'd love to go back to visit again tbh ..it's been 17 years

Last edited:

TomRad85

There's also an abandoned city in the North of Cyprus isn't there ?

Famagusta
Not Famagusta itself, I've been into Famagusta many a time. Its Varosha which is like a suburb of Famagusta I suppose. Apparently it was an absolute paradise. Rumours are that it may reopen, but no doubt someone will make it awkward and it won't end up happening.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

NorthernWisdom

Indeed. My son, who we're expecting to arrive late July will be half English, half Turkish. He won't be 100% English just because he was born here. He may feel more culturally English (probably not as my wife's family will probably be all over us when he arrives) but that won't change what he is. Which is fine, I want him to be proud of being both English and Turkish, I also want him to speak both languages. The only Turkish I know is how to insult someone or how to ask them if they want some watermelon.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Don't combine the two, unless you want to become an insult pioneer!

D

Deleted member 4439

This thread is also going to now go the way of flag-shagging, isn't it?

wingy

Didn't know where to put this . Thought possibly Things that annoy you and this does ,but I think the solution is a political one .

Must be time for the return of the milk marketing board to introduce a buffer between retailer's and provider's.
This company in particular seems to cull around 30 contracts per annum citing economies of scale location etc.

Brighton Sky Blue

Been canvassed by both Green and Labour council candidates here in the last few days, really not sure which way to vote. Labour nationally have completely pissed me off but don't know much of what either party is like in this neck of the woods.

Philosorapter

Been canvassed by both Green and Labour council candidates here in the last few days, really not sure which way to vote. Labour nationally have completely pissed me off but don't know much of what either party is like in this neck of the woods.

Brighton Sky Blue

The word Labour triggers him. Expect a torrent of nonsensical posts and unrelated links and a long look into the deep trauma the Labour Party caused him 30 years ago and why this is relevant to council elections in Brighton.

I'm in Leamington. Interesting being in a swing seat because the people running bother to knock on the door. The Labour candidate's argument was 'I'm a Corbynista' and the Green's was 'look at this roundabout we built'

NorthernWisdom

I'm in Leamington. Interesting being in a swing seat because the people running bother to knock on the door. The Labour candidate's argument was 'I'm a Corbynista' and the Green's was 'look at this roundabout we built'
WDC is an interesting council, as it's quite collegiate in the way it works.

WCC? Actually they do seem to be relatively OK in terms of working with one another, despite it being Conservative run. Tensions between district and county council and, of course, the district council won't exist in the same form soon...

Also interesting how the Labour candidate described themselves. There are tensions within the party in that area, but I've only ever heard from one perspective...

Brighton Sky Blue

WDC is an interesting council, as it's quite collegiate in the way it works.

WCC? Actually they do seem to be relatively OK in terms of working with one another, despite it being Conservative run. Tensions between district and county council and, of course, the district council won't exist in the same form soon...

Also interesting how the Labour candidate described themselves. There are tensions within the party in that area, but I've only ever heard from one perspective...

I said I was pissed off with Starmer, she seemed adamant he wouldn't be the leader for much longer and that local level wasn't the same. The Green did have specific things the party had done and what they would do if re-elected. Mrs BSB is likely voting Green, I'm undecided.

wingy

Is or was there any tangible improvement by having the green scheme of improvements to the old housing stock which has been recently pulled?
Either of them looking to introduce something like that , wonder what was behind that thinking?

shmmeee

I said I was pissed off with Starmer, she seemed adamant he wouldn't be the leader for much longer and that local level wasn't the same. The Green did have specific things the party had done and what they would do if re-elected. Mrs BSB is likely voting Green, I'm undecided.

Go with whichever looks more likely to keep the Tories out. Looking at a few recent results could be either depending where you are. Anything else is a wasted vote.

Brighton Sky Blue

Go with whichever looks more likely to keep the Tories out. Looking at a few recent results could be either depending where you are. Anything else is a wasted vote.

Labour got 35% of the vote in the ward compared to 56% for the Greens last time, Tories just 7%. Turnout was also the lowest for anywhere in WDC. Either way I vote at least the Tories won't win.

shmmeee

Labour got 35% of the vote in the ward compared to 56% for the Greens last time, Tories just 7%. Turnout was also the lowest for anywhere in WDC. Either way I vote at least the Tories won't win.

I guess the only question then is what do you love more: Corbyn or roundabouts?

Ian1779

Local politics is very different I think. Round here where I live the local parish council is staunch Tory and it pains me to say that they generally do a good job, luckily for me they roll out Peter Bone now and again and it reminds me why they are shitheads!

That said, we are voting for brand new councillors for the county seeing as they dissolved all the previously bankrupted Tory councils, so I am hoping we will get a spread of other parties too.. not just more of the ones that ruined the council previously.

Philosorapter

Labour Party 10 points behind again in the polls.

Starmer also 10 points behind Johnson for best PM.

Could this be Starmer not connecting with Humanity in his Radio 2 interview?

In the Midlands, the figures are a lot worse. Looks like the North is becoming the tip of the Iceberg, and Labour in the Midlands are just shuffling the deckchairs. Scotland has already used the lifeboats.

20pointsahead.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Shouldn't Labour be 20 points ahead by now?

PVA

Should be, yes. But Johnson can kill thousands of people and get a boost in the polls. It's a strange old country we live in.

Philosorapter

Should be, yes. But Johnson can kill thousands of people and get a boost in the polls. It's a strange old country we live in.

Unless there are other underlying reasons why people are not voting Labour.

PVA

I'm sure there are other reasons why people are not voting Labour but it doesn't matter, this prime minister and government are utterly Teflon. They can do what they like.

PVA

What a shambles and the 'result' of that report is not remotely surprising.

You just know that when they hold an inquiry into the COVID response it will find that we were amazingly well prepared, reacted perfectly, couldn't have done any more, and that Johnson, Hancock and Co did nothing wrong.

D

Deleted member 4439

This question may trigger, but it's actually an honest one. The report made a series of recommendations, has anybody seen a critique of these or know what opponents would like to see instead?

Users who are viewing this thread