Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (19 Viewers)

chiefdave

You would get housing element then, that would cover probaly £350 ish of you're rent maybe more if married and misses also on dole + if you have any kids you get money for them. And this massive cut you mean the £20 a month that hardly anyone gets anyway. Not saying we shouldn't feed children and I do disagree with the free meals vote outcome but I'm simply saying if you can't afford to feed your child you've really got to fix yourself, there's food banks out there loads of charities all willing to help feed children,
The housing element, are you being serious? I would be entitled to 28p a week but there's a 39 week waiting period. Not sure that's a lot of help.

Kieranp96

The housing element, are you being serious? I would be entitled to 28p a week but there's a 39 week waiting period. Not sure that's a lot of help.
Well shit when I was unemployed last year I was getting £280 for a £400 a month rent, must judge you different for some reason...... That or your just chatting shite.

chiefdave

Well shit when I was unemployed last year I was getting £280 for a £400 a month rent, must judge you different for some reason...... That or your just chatting shite.
Not chatting shite, I'd be entitled to 28p a week towards a mortgage of £557.03 but only after 9 months.
Screenshot 2020-10-29 at 13.56.29.png
Also forgot to mention its a loan.
It’s paid as a loan, which you’ll need to repay with interest when you sell or transfer ownership of your home.

Kieranp96

That'd leave you with £120 for a month's worth of bills and food, from your JSA. Am guessing you cut off your broadand and mobile to help you cope? Sold your car, too?
Was around that yes, and I some how survived but I'm single and still had money to go pub if needed tbf I was only on it for 6 weeks before I was in another job.

Kieranp96

That'd leave you with £120 for a month's worth of bills and food, from your JSA. Am guessing you cut off your broadand and mobile to help you cope? Sold your car, too?
I did not broadband was included as shared accommodation at the time, didn't drive pay as go mobile at the time electric included.

djr8369

This is the biggest frustration. Schools closed 23rd March, and that was after a lot of pressure.

We're now over 7 months later and no better prepared for a further school closure. There's no plan for if schools have to close, there's no national system of remote learning in place - nothing. Most things seem to have been left up to individual schools to organise as best they can with no additional funding.

Even if you accept 'nobody could have seen this coming', which is hugely debatable, as an excuse for the chaos back in March to still be in the same position now is inexcusable.
It’s incredible the lack of preparation that went into opening schools and having a backup plan.

CCFCSteve

It’s incredible the lack of preparation that went into opening schools and having a backup plan.

I usually avoid the school stuff as I’m not a teacher and there’s obviously a fair few on here that are but I checked with a teacher mate about this (as I couldn’t quite believe it) and this is what he said....

‘Well obviously they should move to online teaching as soon as year groups are off, do you mean live video teaching? If that there are lots of issues surrounding that over safeguarding (who is watching/screen grabs etc been issues in America over this) me personally I record me talking over PowerPoint and instructions and I’m there online to type answers to questions but won’t go ‘live’ as there isn’t enough protection (kids are xxxx mate😂 they would definitely do something and end up as a meme somewhere 😳)’

‘All schools are meant to be ready to switch to online teaching at any point now so circuit breaker idea should be feasible - was different in March but school should be ‘ready’ now. All our ‘online’ classrooms are set up ready to go I would think (hope) other schools the same’

I appreciate not all schools are the same but looks like some have got it sorted.

Ian1779

I usually avoid the school stuff as I’m not a teacher and there’s obviously a fair few on here that are but I checked with a teacher mate about this (as I couldn’t quite believe it) and this is what he said....

‘Well obviously they should move to online teaching as soon as year groups are off, do you mean live video teaching? If that there are lots of issues surrounding that over safeguarding (who is watching/screen grabs etc been issues in America over this) me personally I record me talking over PowerPoint and instructions and I’m there online to type answers to questions but won’t go ‘live’ as there isn’t enough protection (kids are xxxx mate😂 they would definitely do something and end up as a meme somewhere 😳)’

‘All schools are meant to be ready to switch to online teaching at any point now so circuit breaker idea should be feasible - was different in March but school should be ‘ready’ now. All our ‘online’ classrooms are set up ready to go I would think (hope) other schools the same’

I appreciate not schools are the same but looks like some have got it sorted.

I would agree with what your mate says here. Live lessons do raise massive safeguarding issues and I for one would not do them nor allow my team to for that reason.

We are prepared for 2/3 different scenarios from kids in on a rota basis to full 100% lockdown. Most schools could turn round and deliver a circuit breaker curriculum from Monday even if it wasn’t announced until tomorrow.

shmmeee

I would agree with what your mate says here. Live lessons do raise massive safeguarding issues and I for one would not do them nor allow my team to for that reason.

We are prepared for 2/3 different scenarios from kids in on a rota basis to full 100% lockdown. Most schools could turn round and deliver a circuit breaker curriculum from Monday even if it wasn’t announced until tomorrow.

What safeguarding issues are there with live lessons?

Ian1779

What safeguarding issues are there with live lessons?
Students recording images/video of staff, other students.
Staff/students viewing or witnessing things happening in the background of their peers
Student making a disclosure whilst in a live lesson

Thats just 3 obvious ones that came up when idea was talked about. I think it’s mostly about protecting people involved in both sides.

Brighton Sky Blue

I have to do them whilst teaching even if the kids aren’t off for Covid

chiefdave

Staff/students viewing or witnessing things happening in the background of their peers

Thats just 3 obvious ones that came up when idea was talked about. I think it’s mostly about protecting people involved in both sides.
Don't two of those things present the same issue when teaching in schools? Just highlights the need for a property implemented nationwide system really rather than expecting schools to sort themselves out which ends up with them holding lessons via something like Zoom.

Ian1779

Don't two of those things present the same issue when teaching in schools? Just highlights the need for a property implemented nationwide system really rather than expecting schools to sort themselves out which ends up with them holding lessons via something like Zoom.
You can mitigate for some of these with in school policies on mobile-phones for example. You can’t apply them in the same way via Teams.

Sky Blue Pete

Why are we just sitting waiting and hoping for things to get better! 280 deaths and 23000 infections. Hospitals filling up at 1300 per day. Germany and France leaders straight out taking control. What’s going on? It’s crazy

NorthernWisdom

Why are we just sitting waiting and hoping for things to get better! 280 deaths and 23000 infections. Hospitals filling up at 1300 per day. Germany and France leaders straight out taking control. What’s going on? It’s crazy
When Duncan Smith, about the least successful Tory Party leader of the 20th century, seems to be calling the shots, you know you're taking the wrong path.

chiefdave

We just seem to be adding more regions into various tiers of restrictions while adding a tier 1 plus to avoid admitting only days after it was announced the tier system is screwed. Nobody seems to go down a tier and places like Birmingham are saying moving up to tier 1 at some point in the future seems inevitable.
The authors say we are at a "critical stage" and "something has to change".

djr8369

I appreciate not all schools are the same but looks like some have got it sorted.
Interesting.
I don’t doubt there are challenges but there are numerous organisations delivering education remotely. The Open University is a national treasure. Why not hire them as consultants and get everything feasible online so there’s a back up and stuff for those students isolating to do. All those resources then stay there for future generations to help with homework etc. Could be a game changer for motivated students who can’t afford private tutors.

shmmeee

All makes sense now you mention it.

I think some kind of superecharged BiteSize could have been developed to provide a set of standard lessons that can be used during isolation or from home where appropriate. Something that doesn’t require teacher input, or live broadcast lessons like Joe Wicks with no interaction, but again nationally broadcast. We’ve got a load of creatives and people sat around unable to perform we could draw on. It wouldn’t be as good as live teaching but would provide a base standard and allow teachers to do what they do best with those still in or in practical/exam subjects.

The lack of imagination is so frustrating.

Ian1779

I think some kind of superecharged BiteSize could have been developed to provide a set of standard lessons that can be used during isolation or from home where appropriate. Something that doesn’t require teacher input, or live broadcast lessons like Joe Wicks with no interaction, but again nationally broadcast. We’ve got a load of creatives and people sat around unable to perform we could draw on. It wouldn’t be as good as live teaching but would provide a base standard and allow teachers to do what they do best with those still in or in practical/exam subjects.

Some of the Oak National Academy stuff is kind of good for that. Subjects like Maths work quite well as there is very little content deviation across different exam boards. However things like History and parts of the English curriculum is far more difficult to cater for given the massive breadth of subject content available.

I completely agree that when we do have such expertise in schools that it can’t be utilised because it’s too busy being tied up in pointless tick box exercises to justify middle management roles. Given we’ve had 6/7 months to prepare for this situation the ability to harness the talent out there is staggeringly disappointing.

Sky Blue Pete

Is it not just will rather than imagination

djr8369

Of course something like that could have been developed. The internet is already a wealth of educational information. Like you say would have been relatively easy to have a national effort and a lot of the people who could have been involved producing it weren’t working at the time, like the creatives you mention.

shmmeee

Some of the Oak National Academy stuff is kind of good for that. Subjects like Maths work quite well as there is very little content deviation across different exam boards. However things like History and parts of the English curriculum is far more difficult to cater for given the massive breadth of subject content available.

I completely agree that when we do have such expertise in schools that it can’t be utilised because it’s too busy being tied up in pointless tick box exercises to justify middle management roles. Given we’ve had 6/7 months to prepare for this situation the ability to harness the talent out there is staggeringly disappointing.

That’s why I think it needs a National approach. Make a set of online lessons that in theory a kid could follow, have trained support staff kids can dial into and pastoral staff checking in. It won’t be perfect and won’t match exactly, but not much different from a kid transferring schools having been taught differently. Work with exam boards to produce the same for exam subjects where possible.

Then when all this is over think of the quality of resource and revision guides and the rest that we’d have.

I’d happily to some exam marking style remote marking as well while we’re all locked down. There’s markers and retired teachers and furloughed or out of work creatives that could have massively lent a hand. Same as with the idea of using empty office space. Just no imagination at all.

djr8369

Of course something like that could have been developed. The internet is already a wealth of educational information. Like you say would have been relatively easy to have a national effort and a lot of the people who could have been involved producing it weren’t working at the time, like the creatives you mention.

Users who are viewing this thread