Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (14 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

Its hardly that they don’t “give a shit about educational damage” is it. It’s obviously an attempt to reduce risk.

Reduce risk to who exactly, schools have already spread the infection around and the quality of education being provided is worse despite it supposedly being a top priority.

djr8369

If people gave a shit about educational damage they'd let me teach outside of a fucking box and let me do practical work with them.
But isn’t the issue that (as shown by the El Pais article yesterday) that somebody projecting their voice across a room is the most effective transmission scenario and they are trying to prevent that? Same reason they won’t open theatres.

Brighton Sky Blue

But isn’t the issue that (as shown by the El Pais article yesterday) that somebody projecting their voice across a room is the most effective transmission scenario and they are trying to prevent that? Same reason they won’t open theatres.

Guess what I have to end up doing when I’m stuck in a box trying to teach a practical subject with minimal practical work available

fernandopartridge

Its so frustrating seeing things like this. We simply shouldn't be seeing report after report showing things the government chose to ignore the science on coming back to bite us.

Make no mistake, the government will absolve itself of any blame in this. It will fall squarely on holidaymakers. Not that this has been peer reviewed in any case.

chiefdave

How do you suggest I teach a practical subject online for a year? Or in school but with no ability to do practical work?
Haven't you answered your own question there. If you have no ability to carry out the practical work in the current setup what difference does it make if it moves online.

Friend of mine's daughter lives in the states and they were told in the summer high school students won't be back until next year at the earliest. I'll ask her what they are doing about this sort of thing.

Surely there has to be a way around it, might not be ideal but theses aren't ideal times. You can do distance learning degrees in practical subjects, how do they handle it?

Brighton Sky Blue

Haven't you answered your own question there. If you have no ability to carry out the practical work in the current setup what difference does it make if it moves online.

Friend of mine's daughter lives in the states and they were told in the summer high school students won't be back until next year at the earliest. I'll ask her what they are doing about this sort of thing.

Surely there has to be a way around it, might not be ideal but theses aren't ideal times. You can do distance learning degrees in practical subjects, how do they handle it?

I have made the point before we should be out of school because the learning experience is shit either way. Practical subjects done by distance learning would still have you go to a local provider to do things like lab work. Being able to do it is an essential part of the subject

Brighton Sky Blue

At the very least, you'd think we'd be set for a six week Christmas holiday, wouldn't you, with plenty of homework.

Homework that could have a fighting chance of being set if notice were given by, say, the start of November...

My classes complain at getting homework anyway, that should be fun

Brighton Sky Blue

Reminds me of the misattributed Einstein quote, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results".

They’re also forgetting Goering’s actual quote about how to obtain support for things people don’t actually want

fernandopartridge

Reminds me of the misattributed Einstein quote, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results".

I think they're taking an adult talking to a child approach to it, i.e. "if you don't stay at home voluntarily (apart from working, shopping and all the other things our paymasters want) we'll reluctantly impose it on you (and for a long time again because we've fucked it right up again like the mendacious, Tory fuckwits we are)."

Sky Blue Pete

probably got to get on with swindling another local authority out of some cash for his mates first.
I don’t get it. Where the fuck is Boris who is running the country?

Why is chris whitty being quiet or valance quiet

Someone needs to take control. These tiers are not reducing transmission enough. Look at macron and merkel. Macron also mobilising the military to protect oap’s praying in churches from fundamental fuckwits

If we are content with r at 1.5 until
Hospitals are over run then say so

If we are doing the great barrington stuff then say.

Why was shielding an option earlier and not now. Do we no longer care? Or was it pointless before?

djr8369

How do you suggest I teach a practical subject online for a year? Or in school but with no ability to do practical work?
You either teach the theory and demonstrate via video, teach what you can online and hope the practical aspects can be squeezed in later or students lose out on that practical teaching.
What is the subject?

djr8369

One of the sciences
I doubt there is any practical element that doesn’t have a good demonstration online already from something like The Open Uni or the numerous American universities offering courses online. Or is it the hands on skills you are concerned about? Using equipment etc?

Brighton Sky Blue

I doubt there is any practical element that doesn’t have a good demonstration online already from something like The Open Uni or the numerous American universities offering courses online. Or is it the hands on skills you are concerned about? Using equipment etc?

Hands on skills and general engagement. When we were online I voiced over presentations with videos in etc, but it is vastly inferior to doing it yourself. Does seem very unfair imo

djr8369

Hands on skills and general engagement. When we were online I voiced over presentations with videos in etc, but it is vastly inferior to doing it yourself. Does seem very unfair imo
I think engagement is the key issue, personally. There are ways to get the theory in but distance learning providers are delivering to motivated students who have chosen to learn. I assume that’s not the case for most school children.

Brighton Sky Blue

I think engagement is the key issue, personally. There are ways to get the theory in but distance learning providers are delivering to motivated students who have chosen to learn. I assume that’s not the case for most school children.

I am already finding it very difficult to deliver a mostly practical curriculum through videos and theory. It’s killing the engagement and it seems to disproportionately hit my subject area

Users who are viewing this thread