Max (2 Viewers)

pusbccfc

Interesting point G. Think it's fair to say that Shipley played a big role in two promotions, bigger than Biamou for the second one certainly. He gets a ridiculous amount of criticism

Ironically, both seem to get the best backing from the fans in the ground in terms of their songs.

Yet, on twitter, Facebook and on here seem to get a pasting

SBT

Loath am I to get in the way of several more pages of furious Max debating, or dredging up weirdos on FB/Twitter as if it proves some kind of point.

But it's really not much of a stretch to see why a player who scored several spectacular and/or memorable goals for us, often during key moments and big away days in our recent history, would be liked more than normal by fans. And there isn't really much wrong with that. Unless you've got some weird internet reputation to manage of course. It's fine. You'll be OK.

higgs

Max gave everything when he played for us. Maybe he wasn't good enough for this level certainly not as a starter but there is an argument that as 4th choice he could come off the bench and cause some problems for teams as he was unpredictable but I trust Robins and thank Max for all he gave in the sky blue shirt he always put a shift in he's a team player

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Grendel

I think you’re misunderstanding my use of ‘great’, and also suggesting I’m saying he’s as good at Hutchinson, which I’m not. You have to think about the context. We signed him as a back up striker when we were in League 2.

Aside from Kelly and Shipley, he’s the only player who has regularly played from L2 to the championship with us. He’s made over 100 appearances, which in this era in the football league is not all that common.

Whilst he is a scorer of great goals, rather than many, some have been vital to the clubs recent history, Notts County sticks out.

This season we’d have been fucked if he didn’t come in and perform, which he did. Stepped up when he needed to, and proved he was an asset at this level, which I didn’t think he’d do.

I know players who are at clubs during positive eras tend to be viewed far more positively, but in my opinion he has been great.

Is Shipley great?

Frostie

I genuinely have no idea who he is although il take your word for it 🤣

Was involved in the Trust, tasked with improving their social media & relations. Literally just argued with everyone on Twitter, tying himself up in knots, spouting blatant untruths & throwing hissy fits when called out on it.
Think even the Trust must have gotten fed up with him as he didn't last long.

Sky Blue Harry H

To be fair, if we'd have let Kelly go, and kept Max, there would have been angst and pages of eulogy about Kelly (and rightly so)

Frostie

It would actually be quite interesting (if he snags a move to L1 and plays regularly) to see how many he can score in a season. I’m not for one second saying he’d get 30 goals, just would be interested to see. What would your bet look like then? I’ll have a £20 for charity he scores more than 10 if he plays regularly (say 25 starts?), and not because I’m a fan boy, but because it would make for an interesting bet (and it’s for charidy mate).

Heard a rumour yesterday that he was going to Saudi but didn't believe it. See Telegraph is reporting that he's considering offers from the Middle East though so might just be right.

Otis

I've been walking around wearing a black armband ever since the news came out yesterday.

Sick Boy

I’d argue Shipley could be - doesn’t endear on the pitch in the way a Biamou type does, also Shipley been largely absent this season.
The point is that Biamou’s goals vs Notts C are used to justify him being given a new deal - Shipley scored in the final so surely the same logic should be applied to him.

coop

Max Baka and are not good enough for the championship if we want to progress ita as simple as that. Shipley needs to improve or he will be gone when his contract is up. We will have to wait and see who MR brings in.

Yorkshire SB

The point is that Biamou’s goals vs Notts C are used to justify him being given a new deal - Shipley scored in the final so surely the same logic should be applied to him.

Yeah I do get it, but you can’t try and argue against what makes a player a fans favourite, it’s not as easy as pointing out the tangibles.

Look at someone like Scott Parker - won the football writers player of the year through giving 100% and being likeable (good player too, but not that good).

Sick Boy

Yeah I do get it, but you can’t try and argue against what makes a player a fans favourite, it’s not as easy as pointing out the tangibles.

Look at someone like Scott Parker - won the football writers player of the year through giving 100% and being likeable (good player too, but not that good).
Biamou has mostly been a reserve player during his time here.
Some of the posts on here and Facebook are way over the top and devoid of any kind of reality; I fully expect Walker to be their boo boy next season.
The conspiracy that Robins was forced to release him by SISU was a classic.

NortonSkyBlue

Some of the posts on here and Facebook are way over the top and devoid of any kind of reality; I fully expect Walker to be their boo boy next season.
Can't disagree with anything you stated there, however I suspect you are not in the Max camp.
Biamou was bought as a back up player in league two and he has hung in and contributed to the point where he played as much as any forward.
Walker is a languid chap and doesn't appear to enjoy the way we have played and I can't say it suited his game therefore I can see why the consensus will be he is a miserable git who doesn't kiss the badge, take selfies with fans and may be targeted. He deserves better.
Robins has made a decision and he will stand and fall by those choices and I hope we go on and prove him right and Max goes on and flourishes wherever he ends up.

Yorkshire SB

Your reaction (and others) seems to be a tad OTT and reactionary to people on FB though. I don’t think I’ve gone over the top in admiration and I don’t think I’ve seen anyone else on here say anything too ridiculous. I agree with him being released but that doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate what he’s given to the club, and consider him to be a great player. As I would do if a number of other players who have been here during a momentous period, left.

Users who are viewing this thread