Loan Watch (2 Viewers)

steve101

Bapaga is back with us.
Wonder if Cashman will get the same treatment as he's gone off their radar completely.
I thought Cashman may be back but Rochdale are selling players so maybe an opportunity for getting back in the fold? If not he would surely benefit more from being around the first team squad than Rochdale's.

fernandopartridge

Hope it works out for him too. In the interviews I've seen since he's been here he seems like a really nice, quiet lad - always felt that reflected on the pitch where he seemed a bit meek for a CB.
Compare that to someone like Ostigard who wanted to dominate on the pitch and is vocal and driven off it in terms of his career path. Can it be just down to a mix of ambition, drive and personality?

I'm reading Mick Rathbone's first book at the minute, he talks about the extent to which confidence makes the difference with footballers making it or not citing his own experience.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Off topic slightly...
Could someone tell me which players are out of contract this summer?
Many thanks in advance.

Evans-Harriott
Finnegan
Jobello
jones
McFadzean
McGrath
N'Gandu
Pask
Shipley

not sure about Howley, Nee, Rowe and G Burroughs

larry_david

Evans-Harriott
Finnegan
Jobello
jones
McFadzean
McGrath
N'Gandu
Pask
Shipley

Out of that the keeps are Mcfadz, Jones (possibly) and i'd imagine McGrath. Evans-Harriott has been here a while now and isn't even a reg at u23 level. N'Gandu it seems will not be making it, but he should go out on loan this Jan if he has any chance I think.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Hope it works out for him too. In the interviews I've seen since he's been here he seems like a really nice, quiet lad - always felt that reflected on the pitch where he seemed a bit meek for a CB.
Compare that to someone like Ostigard who wanted to dominate on the pitch and is vocal and driven off it in terms of his career path. Can it be just down to a mix of ambition, drive and personality?

Personality does seem to be a big thing. Seems like a part of the reason Newton was moved on as well. If he's naturally a bit quiet it's not helpful at a position where communication is vital.

Legia Sky Blue

Confidence and self belief is a huge factor in a players career and development. If matched with natural ability, athleticism and a hunger to improve you have the template for the perfect professional footballer. Human nature is such however that self belief is probably the hardest of those characteristics to retain, particularly with the ups and downs that a football career can bring with injuries and loss of form. Our history is littered with players that have shone for short periods only to fade away into medocrity.

Esoterica

I'm reading Mick Rathbone's first book at the minute, he talks about the extent to which confidence makes the difference with footballers making it or not citing his own experience.
I think it's a massive factor and I wonder if it gets increasingly overlooked in today's stats based approach to games and signings.

Speaking of confidence, in one of our games in August, my team's striker walked up to to the 2 opposition CBs at kick off - one big 'un and a smaller one, and said to the big one 'Alright lads! So I'm guessing you're the shit one?'. Big 'un was sent off for two yellows 10 minutes before half time. Classic bit of local league confidence and shithousery :D

Offhegoes

Evans-Harriott
Finnegan
Jobello
jones
McFadzean
McGrath
N'Gandu
Pask
Shipley

McFadz for another year, and same for Jodi. I think JJ has shown enough in glmpses that he still has a lot to offer. It may be next season until he really gets going. The others will surely go. Howley and G.Burroughs are highly thought of, so I would imagine deals for those 2 as well.

no_loyalty

Pask playing CB for Newport against Harrogate.

steve101

Pask played 90 minutes for Newport in 4-0 win. Cashman only coming on for last 6 minutes despite them recently selling their striker.

larry_david

Good start for Pask.
Cashman needs to step up second half of the season.
Burroughs and Drysdale feature on Tuesday I believe

stevefloyd

More quality reporting on the offal.....

Defender Josh Pask made his debut for Newport County this weekend, as they beat Newport County 4-0.

Pask was handed a start from the off for his Newport debut, as they entertained Harrogate at Rodney Parade.

Josh played the full 90 minutes and helped James Rowberry's side keep a clean sheet and in the process climb to 5th in League Two.

Staying in that division, Danny Cashman got some minutes under his belt for Rochdale, as they suffered a 2-0 defeat away at Tranmere Rovers.

Cashman came on in the 84th minute, but he was unable to help Dale get back into the game.

In Scotland, Ross County get back in action tomorrow night following the winter break, with Jack Burroughs and Declan Drysdale both looking to get minutes in the tank.

I think it should be Harrogate who they beat 4-0

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

More quality reporting on the offal.....

Defender Josh Pask made his debut for Newport County this weekend, as they beat Newport County 4-0.

Pask was handed a start from the off for his Newport debut, as they entertained Harrogate at Rodney Parade.

Josh played the full 90 minutes and helped James Rowberry's side keep a clean sheet and in the process climb to 5th in League Two.

Staying in that division, Danny Cashman got some minutes under his belt for Rochdale, as they suffered a 2-0 defeat away at Tranmere Rovers.

Cashman came on in the 84th minute, but he was unable to help Dale get back into the game.

In Scotland, Ross County get back in action tomorrow night following the winter break, with Jack Burroughs and Declan Drysdale both looking to get minutes in the tank.

I think it should be Harrogate who they beat 4-0

They played themselves and won. Good effort.

JonesBob

Drysdale had a comfortable game and Burroughs came on for the last 10. D. Samuels, who was with us for a short time, plays for Ross, but the star man was Charles-Cook who used to play for Solihull Moors. This was Scottish Premier and the level was around Cambridge level. I often watch non-league and many players I see could easily hold their own in this company. Ross won 3-1.

blunted

I think it's a massive factor and I wonder if it gets increasingly overlooked in today's stats based approach to games and signings.

Speaking of confidence, in one of our games in August, my team's striker walked up to to the 2 opposition CBs at kick off - one big 'un and a smaller one, and said to the big one 'Alright lads! So I'm guessing you're the shit one?'. Big 'un was sent off for two yellows 10 minutes before half time. Classic bit of local league confidence and shithousery :D
When I was really little, my dad used to take me to HR on the half way line with an orange box. Remember Ronnie Rees winding up the opposition full back by saying he was going to fucking skin him (imagine a welsh accent). The full back tried to cripple Ronnie the first time he touched the ball, but Ronnie was way too fast and left him trailing. Set the tone for the rest of the match.

long way home

The obvious thing to do would be to take Jones and McFazden for another year each, however the fact this hasn't already been done, could indicate MR is not entirely sure it's the right move for the club to do. With Mcfazden's age and Jones's injury history both are end of season decisions by the look of it. I'm not sure they both do come back but I wouldn't be unhappy if they did, if honest. Mcfazden has been a brilliant signing and will be welcomed by the fans no matter. I think Jones could be the same, liked by the fans for the heart he has shown in getting back into the squad . Most fans can see a good player in him, just waiting to see it on a regular basis If he keeps fit he could be a good asset to this squad next season. As for the others on the list Finegan and McGrath have been injured and could be low risk high reward extension, but at the minute Burroughs and Howley are a head of them in pushing towards the 1st team and that could be the exit for those two.

Other players like Walker and Pask I don't see as being part of the clubs future. Drysdale may get another crack in the summer but it's getting close to last chance saloon for him at the club, pretty much like Bapaga, big summer a head for him, he either will step up or drop down and be shipped out. Tavares, Cashman, G Burroughs and Eccles will be interesting ones to watch to see how they fit in to the squad come summer. In any case it's going to be an interesting future with plenty going on at the club.

As for this window, its been a good one, could do with losing Hilsner and maybe sending a few of the younger ones out on loan to gain league experience. But happy with the signing and the extensions we have made so far. It does show me an intent to improve and compete in this league on and off the field. For the first time in decades a plan with continual improvements has been made which has brought us to this point which in all honesty most did not see coming, but are enjoying.

Last edited:

Happy_Martian

Jack Burroughs and Declan Drysdale both played for Ross County in their Scottish Cup tie against Livingston, losing 1-0.

Danny Cashman was an unused sub for Rochdale in their 0-0 against Bradford.

Josh Pask subbed on 73 mins for Newport.

Tyler Walker played the full 90 mins for Pompey but the team still lost 1-0 at Sunderland.

Users who are viewing this thread