Jordan Shipley - is he good enough for league 1 (1 Viewer)

dazed&confused

What are you spouting? I am giving my opinion on a player. Have i criticised bayliss.. Thompson.. Others? No. As a supporter of 30 years i can recognise who will and wont make it and i beleive shipley wont. Your world seems to protect any youth player from criticism and they should play even if they offer less than others. If you dont like opinions i suggest not reading a forum.

I apologise for my previous, overly-agressive and patronising reply to this post. You are perfectly entitled to your opinions; I should learn to read them and move on. And my earlier Chelsea/Manchester City dig was unforgivable. We both want the same thing - on the field success for Coventry City FC - we just have differing opinions on how to achieve it. Keep posting your thoughts, and I'll shut the fuck up.

itsabuzzard

I apologise for my previous, overly-agressive and patronising reply to this post. You are perfectly entitled to your opinions; I should learn to read them and move on. And my earlier Chelsea/Manchester City dig was unforgivable. We both want the same thing - on the field success for Coventry City FC - we just have differing opinions on how to achieve it. Keep posting your thoughts, and I'll shut the fuck up.
What will the "little man" do now?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Magwitch

What is this obsession with Shipley and whether he is good, bad or indifferent, not a Lionel Messi I agree still only in and around the first team for just about a year but puts a shift in. I think compared to about 6 months ago Bayliss hasn’t played as well as he has but that happens with kids anyone who had been watching football for 30 years as Garryb80 has should know this.

covcity4life

What is this obsession with Shipley and whether he is good, bad or indifferent, not a Lionel Messi I agree still only in and around the first team for just about a year but puts a shift in. I think compared to about 6 months ago Bayliss hasn’t played as well as he has but that happens with kids anyone who had been watching football for 30 years as Garryb80 has should know this.
The obsession comes from those who argued with anyone who wanted him dropped. That is only reason thread is so long

Regardless those of thus that wanted him have been proven correct and those that disagreed have either left forum in shame or blocked everyone in denial.

Garryb80

I can tell when somebody is not good enough for the level they play at. Clearly you hide behind age as an excuse

skybluegod

What are you spouting? I am giving my opinion on a player. Have i criticised bayliss.. Thompson.. Others? No. As a supporter of 30 years i can recognise who will and wont make it and i beleive shipley wont. Your world seems to protect any youth player from criticism and they should play even if they offer less than others. If you dont like opinions i suggest not reading a forum.

Fair enough for most of this except , "As a supporter of 30 years i can recognise who will and wont make it", I don't think you can link years supporting to recognising talent. If you were that good you would be a scout, and just in simpler terms, nobody is 100% on who will and won't make it! Seen it 100000's of times .

Nick

Administrator
Always makes me giggle when people bring their age into it. It's usually when being negative or trying to be outraged.

"I have been a CCFC supporter since 1968. How dare you!"

What's that got to do with anything? I wasn't even born, doesn't make what they say have any more factual basis. In fact it's usually the opposite.

SkyBlueCRJ

Always makes me giggle when people bring their age into it. It's usually when being negative or trying to be outraged.

"I have been a CCFC supporter since 1968. How dare you!"

What's that got to do with anything? I wasn't even born, doesn't make what they say have any more factual basis. In fact it's usually the opposite.

The dynamic of football has completely changed in the last 30 years. Probably opening a pandora's box here but I usually find that the older the fan, the less educated they are in relation to the 'modern game'.

dazed&confused

The obsession comes from those who argued with anyone who wanted him dropped. That is only reason thread is so long

Regardless those of thus that wanted him have been proven correct and those that disagreed have either left forum in shame or blocked everyone in denial.

I feel that a key word is missing from that second sentence of yours. 'In' or 'out' that is the question, Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, Or to take arms against a sea of troubles, And by opposing end them.

Last edited:

dazed&confused

What happened to your post that included, "dazed and confused you have been proven wrong about shipley. please stop posting on this thread. you LOST"?

I haven't 'lost', and you, my friend, haven't 'won' either. I'm not going anywhere. Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste death but once.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
giphy.gif

covcity4life

What happened to your post that included, "dazed and confused you have been proven wrong about shipley. please stop posting on this thread. you LOST"?

I haven't 'lost', and you, my friend, haven't 'won' either. I'm not going anywhere. Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste death but once.
i deleted it as my aim is not to say shipley isnt good enoguh for league 1 as he may be one day

i just wanted him out now and got abuse for it but wa sproven right

have no axe to grind with the kid though

Magwitch

What is this “modern” game ? I can go back to the start of the JH days perhaps perception is different through 14 year old eyes but I’ll give an example Willie Humphries, George Hudson and Ronnie Rees all third division players would walk into today’s “modern” team and transform it into a certain automatic promotion team

covcity4life

What is this “modern” game ? I can go back to the start of the JH days perhaps perception is different through 14 year old eyes but I’ll give an example Willie Humphries, George Hudson and Ronnie Rees all third division players would walk into today’s “modern” team and transform it into a certain automatic promotion team
can you explain why you were angry with mark robins comments after bradford game please? you keep avoiding the question

SkyBlueCRJ

If you have to ask people to define what the "modern game" is, then you've proven my point.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

It's really, really boring hearing the older generation harp on about the good old days and how players from the 60s/70s were so much better than this current crop blah blah etc etc. Completely irrelevant points to make as the game was entirely different to how it is now and I find it's often used as a means to condescend younger fans who 'apparently' can't tell who's a good player and who isn't.

Shipley is a decent player with 1 season of first team football behind him. While he's not necessarily a starter, he's an important squad member who has grown in to playing on the left and offers us good balance there now. He also pops up with the odd goal and understands what's required defensively.

Covstu

It's really, really boring hearing the older generation harp on about the good old days and how players from the 60s/70s were so much better than this current crop blah blah etc etc. Completely irrelevant points to make as the game was entirely different to how it is now and I find it's often used as a means to condescend younger fans who 'apparently' can't tell who's a good player and who isn't.

Shipley is a decent player with 1 season of first team football behind him. While he's not necessarily a starter, he's an important squad member who has grown in to playing on the left and offers us good balance there now. He also pops up with the odd goal and understands what's required defensively.
isn't that all relative, I bet our younger supporters are sick of hearing about 87 or 'The Entertainers' era etc etc...As a city fan, we are entitled to cling onto happy memories!!

superskyblue

Completely agree.

SkyBlueCRJ

isn't that all relative, I bet our younger supporters are sick of hearing about 87 or 'The Entertainers' era etc etc...As a city fan, we are entitled to cling onto happy memories!!

I think his point is more directed to bigoted fans who disregard that the game has moved forward yet still (stubbornly) clutch to the ideal that because many of us younger fans have not seen the likes of George Curtis in action, that automatically means that our opinion is void. However, this coincidentally shows how uneducated they actually are because given the evolution of the game, advancements in sports science, fitness regimes and nutrition and with more foreign players being brought into the fold - I can safely predict that many of those who played in the 'Sky Blue hay day' in the old Third and Fourth division wouldn't walk straight into our side. It's comments such as those made by Magwitch that I find are completely irrelevant as time moves on and its all merely relative to speculation rather than fact.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Look Garryb80 is clearly very qualified in watching football, he's done it for an unheralded 30 years, so what he says goes. It's not like Alex Ferguson, probably must successful manager of all time, watched a tad more than 30 years of football, thought Eric Djemba Djemba was good enough for Man United, and was eventually slightly wrong, is it?

Nick

Administrator
Look Garryb80 is clearly very qualified in watching football, he's done it for an unheralded 30 years, so what he says goes. It's not like Alex Ferguson, probably must successful manager of all time, watched a tad more than 30 years of football, thought Eric Djemba Djemba was good enough for Man United, and was eventually slightly wrong, is it?

Garry lost any respect for what he posts the minute he said he feels better for abusing Shipley at games. Add to that his Uncle Albert "during the war" type stuff and he's the ranty bloke who just goes on and on in the pub that nobody listens to.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

I think his point is more directed to bigoted fans who disregard that the game has moved forward yet still (stubbornly) clutch to the ideal that because many of us younger fans have not seen the likes of George Curtis in action, that automatically means that our opinion is void.

Exactly that mate.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I look at Shipley and see him as one of those players who’s going to campaign around League one and two for his whole career.

Had a good spell on the left in League 2 but doesn’t have the tools yet for league 1.

He gives 100% but I don’t think he will have the tools to go further, happy for him to be a squad player though

fernandopartridge

Likewise all the rubbish about how fit players are and how great they are technically compared with days gone by is shite too

Nick

Administrator
It would be interesting to give today's players old school boots, pitch, ball etc and see how it went.

That and old school rules were two footers were a yellow at most, pass back etc.

lifeskyblue

It would be interesting to give today's players old school boots, pitch, ball etc and see how it went.

That and old school rules were two footers were a yellow at most, pass back etc.

And equally if some of the older era players were playing by today’s rule interpretations, playing on grass carpets and given scientific training regimes. How good would Best, Moore, Hutch, Hoddle be? And how would Hunter and that ilk cope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
And equally if some of the older era players were playing by today’s rule interpretations, playing on grass carpets and given scientific training regimes. How good would Best, Moore, Hutch, Hoddle be? And how would Hunter and that ilk cope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also the science for recovery.

Shame there's no way to find out, could put some of today's players in their conditions as a test, few pints the night before for good measure. 20 b and h might not be acceptable

higgs

He's one of our own Jordan Shipley he's one of our own

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread