Jordan Shipley - is he good enough for league 1 (1 Viewer)

Kilclines curly mullet

I’m sure that this was cause greate debate, but in my opinion he is not yet good enough. I’m not sure he ever will be. I thought he was poor today and can’t see what he brings to the team.

This isn’t me slagging off our own players, just my thoughts on what I have seen so far this season.

stay_up_skyblues

The new scapegoat? Sterling had a good game and Baka not getting a look in so step forward Mr Shipley.

He isn’t technically gifted but is full of effort and does some dirty work. Probably makes up for Doyler’s inability through age to cover every blade when defending. Also comes up with/involved in important goals. See the playoff final and Oxford recently.

A mid table budget team in mid table in league 1 will not comprise 11 of the best players in the league. And you need a decent mix of attributes.

Shipley is just fine for a rotation/squad player for where we are and will forge a decent career in league 1/2 for himself, possibly have a run in the championship for a season or two if he comes on a bit more.

stupot07

I thought he played well today. He's not a 'jodi jones/Luke thomas' but he adds something to the team and gives us balance, shape and defensive cover. Made a number of important blocks and one of the reasons sterling seemed happier to bomb forward, he also tucks in and covers when bayliss bombs forward.

He ain't no world beater, but he's nowhere near out of his depth in this league. The lad is still only 21 and only in his second season of first team football. Give him a break.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Adge

As above he gives the team a better balance when he’s in and covers a great amount of ground and his defensive game helps us. I think though that this may be papering over the cracks and he may be punching above his weight. Still has time on his side though to improve but if you look at Bayliss who is 2 years younger you can see that he is streets ahead of Shipley and has the capabilities to progress. Not sure Shipley can.

covcity4life

Should have known sum twat would like up and accuse people of scapegoating him

He's playing poor at the minute. Any of us could run around and try for our beloved club. He needs to do more.

Is he good enough for league 1?

I don't know. But he's still young . But for now a rest might be best thing for him

Cavan O'Doherty

Not for me. There’s not one attribute that you can say say he brings to the team(Pace, decent shot etc). He’s one of the slowest wingers I’ve ever seen, and then when he gets beaten he ends up giving away silly free kicks(Oxford).

covcity4life

Not for me. There’s not one attribute that you can say say he brings to the team(Pace, decent shot etc). He’s one of the slowest wingers I’ve ever seen, and then when he gets beaten he ends up giving away silly free kicks(Oxford).
He's not a winger. Was used as plan b last year. Started centre mid

He did great but it's not happening this time so far

joemercersaces

He played some neat little dinks today as well, and a couple of decent through balls. I thought he did ok. I’m led to understand that some of the players privately prefer playing away because of the abuse they get and not hard to see why. There’s a big difference between a collective groan when a promising attack founders, and yelling at one of your own players that he’s shit. That’s really going to help!

fatso

Playoff semi final second leg, the guy was a sky blue hero, Goal scorer at Wembley, and we sang his name out load.
Now the arseholes have decided he’s going to be the new scapegoat.
Honestly, You couldnt make it up.

Evo1883

Shipley needs to engage His brain at times as his passing can be absolutely atrocious .
Potential of a pretty good player but must improve on his short game

fatso

Shipley needs to engage His brain at times as his passing can be absolutely atrocious .
Potential of a pretty good player but must improve on his short game
You could say that about any one of our players, Doyle lost possession on numerous occasions today, Thomas has zero end product, and just stood and watched his man make a run into the box for their goal. Baylis has no defensive brain whatsoever, but let’s all pick on Shipley.

Evo1883

You could say that about any one of our players, Doyle lost possession on numerous occasions today, Thomas has zero end product, and just stood and watched his man make a run into the box for their goal. Baylis has no defensive brain whatsoever, but let’s all pick on Shipley.

Yes but I think with Shipley you can see he’s on a poor run of form , his passing has been persistently under par and he isn’t at the level I personally expect of him so far this season .
I do like the lad , and appreciate everything he’s done so far in sky blue

Skybluefaz

Playoff semi final second leg, the guy was a sky blue hero, Goal scorer at Wembley, and we sang his name out load.
Now the arseholes have decided he’s going to be the new scapegoat.
Honestly, You couldnt make it up.
So because he scored at Wembley he's exempt of all criticism? Great reasoning.

Otis

He's not been great so far, but there's no reason to suggest that he might well not prove to be good enough for League One come the end of the season.

Some can immediately make the step up, some learn to adapt and some don't make it.

I don't see any reason why he can't be in that second group and improve as the season wears on.

Last edited:

stay_up_skyblues

Unfair to use Bayliss as the barometer for Shipley for me. The former is in the Maddison class, the latter in the Doyle mould. Notwithstanding his lesser form recently, Bayliss will be a premier league player. Shipley a pro in this league and/or the one below/above.

east_midlands_skyblue

He's not good enough as a winger... would like to see how he does in the middle where his attributes are better suited but we have better options there currently. He is capable of better than we are currently seeing I think.

eastwoodsdustman

He gives us balance in defence and attack. Yesterday he did loads of decent work helping Sterling (in the way Baker did with Christie a few years back) as did Thomas in the first half too, to the detriment of their own game a bit. Shipley is a good player and the manager will pick him as he does what he’s supposed to do. I’m surprised nobody has picked up that Thomas made way for jones yesterday when Sunderland were effectively down to 10 men. Maybe Robins see’s that Shipley is more important to the team as a whole.

shelby76

If i go to war i want shipley next to me puts his heart and soul into every game, not perfect but who is? He will get better he been fighting for this since he was a kid it's in his DNA

Colin Steins Smile

We as supporters have a long track record of having at least one player who’s on the receiving end of vocal criticism from a section of fans.,,,.. Wilf Smith, Carlton Palmer, Telfer, etc. all those players were hard workers & defensively strong.

Shipley is the latest & if this continues his performances are bound to suffer. Encouraging him will have a far greater impact, unless we want to see an increase of goals created down the left side?

So far the right side of our defence is the issue that needs addressing.

Nick

Administrator
If i go to war i want shipley next to me puts his heart and soul into every game, not perfect but who is? He will get better he been fighting for this since he was a kid it's in his DNA
I know he is much better at football than me but id put my heart and soul into it as well. Isn't really an answer when asked if he is good enough.

I just think it's his decision making sometimes. That said Doyle was much worse yesterday at giving the ball away

Bristol sky blue

He will probably get half a dozen goals this season. He sparked us into life in the away game at Oxford recently.
Yes, he has been poor recently but as others have said Doyle's passing has been wasteful too.
I think he is a decent squad player at this level. Whether he should be starting regularly is another matter.
Who would you pick on the left ahead of him? Maybe it's no coincidence that Sterling had a better game yesterday because he knew Shipley would provide good cover when he went forward.

ccfc_Tom

I have been critical of him this season but he played well yesterday. Would have liked allasani available to bring on for him by about 70 mins.

MTK

He’s not a player who gets you out of your seat but I think he does an important job for the team in terms of shape and solidity etc. When the strikers score or the flair players do get us out of our seats, Shipley is a part of the successful whole. When the chances created for other are missed, as they were yesterday, I think Shipley is naturally exposed to criticism. He has played his game though, they haven’t. I think Shipley is an important member of the squad and I’m happy to have him there.

Magwitch

He is carrying Michael Doyle. I like Doyle and wish he was 27 but he isn’t he’s 37 and it’s starting to show after an hour or so on the ball Doyler is fine but off it his recovery is wanting and tho opposition start commanding centre midfield, happened again yesterday. Shipley had to adapt his game early yesterday playing in front of a make weight left back and behind a lightweight winger and against some not that long ago premiership players, was Shipley better yesterday than Bayliss ? imo yes, was he better than Thomas ? Imo yes.

Users who are viewing this thread