Jordan Shipley - is he good enough for league 1 (1 Viewer)

Otis

Hiwula's first thought is to attack and move the ball forwards, Shipley's is not. He's more happy keeping it simple and keep the ball moving around the midfield probing for space. He does get forwards, but not to the same degree.

Shipley is a lot less likely to bomb forwards at every given opportunity. Hiwula is an attacking player and his first thought is forwards.

Shipley is just more disciplined and therefore that gives the side balance. It's clearly not worked though because Shipley has been playing poorly.

DannyThomas_1981

Keep hearing this word balance offered to describe the benefits that Shipley brings to the team. Is this literally because he's left footed? Because he doesn't offer any more protection for the full back and offers less of a goal threat going forward.

Disagree. He offers far more protection than Hiwula. Obviously we're all waiting for a fully fit JJ but Shipley is the best alternative we have on the left ahead of that. If Hiwula plays it can only be as part of a front 3 or in place of Chaplin. I personally think that Chaplin offers more but needs to be more advanced.

Otis

Because in league two he did have enough to be an attacking threat, chipped in with some good goals. In league one the football is quicker, the quality of players is better and he's struggled.
Why has Robins been picking him THIS season?

Skybluefaz

Disagree. He offers far more protection than Hiwula. Obviously we're all waiting for a fully fit JJ but Shipley is the best alternative we have on the left ahead of that. If Hiwula plays it can only be as part of a front 3 or in place of Chaplin. I personally think that Chaplin offers more but needs to be more advanced.
Players get past him easily because he doesn't have the speed or agility to turn quickly enough. Or the ability to read what a player is going to do. Remember that time he put in a really good tackle? No neither do I.

Otis

On the back of last seasons form. He had to give him a chance. Not happened though has it?
He hasn't played well.

Out of Hiwula and Shipley, one can play fullback.

I'll let you guess as to which one. ;)

I think that is the answer.

Grendel

He hasn't played well.

Out of Hiwula and Shipley, one can play fullback.

I'll let you guess as to which one. ;)

I think that is the answer.

The notion he gives the team shape is a myth. It’s just a meaningless statement

He’s actually poor defensively

DannyThomas_1981

Players get past him easily because he doesn't have the speed or agility to turn quickly enough. Or the ability to read what a player is going to do. Remember that time he put in a really good tackle? No neither do I.

Alternatively Shipley is a decent athlete with a good engine. Would Shipley be my first choice on the left if JJ was fit? No. Does he offer far more to the team right now vs. Hiwula? I would say yes even though he doesn't have the crowd pleasing technical skills that Hiwula has. Is Shippers running a little low on confidence right now? Probably so we need to get off his back - he's not Gareth Bale but could do a job for us.

One thing that I do clearly remember is yesterday. Hiwula offered nothing in attack and no protection for Brown in defence. He was missing in action.

Different opinions Faz. I do see the quality in Hiwula by the way but not on the left.

Otis

The notion he gives the team shape is a myth. It’s just a meaningless statement

He’s actually poor defensively
Disagree on the myth bit.

I agree, he is poor defensively, but as quite a chunk of his career has been as a left back he is just more disciplined than Hiwula, who's only thought and instinct is to attack.

That therefore gives the shape, because Shipley will defend and will attack.

Defensively though, I agree, he is not great at all.

Grendel

Disagree on the myth bit.

I agree, he is poor defensively, but as quite a chunk of his career has been as a left back he is just more disciplined than Hiwula, who's only thought and instinct is to attack.

That therefore gives the shape, because Shipley will defend and will attack.

Defensively though, I agree, he is not great at all.

Jones instinct is to attack so I assume he would not “give shape” either

Skybluefaz

Alternatively Shipley is a decent athlete with a good engine. Would Shipley be my first choice on the left if JJ was fit? No. Does he offer far more to the team right now vs. Hiwula? I would say yes even though he doesn't have the crowd pleasing technical skills that Hiwula has. Is Shippers running a little low on confidence right now? Probably so we need to get off his back - he's not Gareth Bale but could do a job for us.

One thing that I do clearly remember is yesterday. Hiwula offered nothing in attack and no protection for Brown in defence. He was missing in action.

Different opinions Faz. I do see the quality in Hiwula by the way but not on the left.
Yeah no problem with differing opinions. He proved his worth on the left with his goals on our winning run. I can see why Robins has kept faith with him despite him being crap for a couple of games. I agree though that left wing is definitely not his position.

Otis

Jones instinct is to attack so I assume he would not “give shape” either
Ah, but now you are being a bit silly, because of course you accommodate someone like Jones because he is so good.

We are not talking about Jones, we are talking about Hiwula vs Shipley

Personally, I wouldn't pick Shipley at the moment at all, as he is clearly struggling.

All I have consistently said is I can understand as to why Robins appears to be picking him for games. He clearly sees that Shipley gives more balance and protection on the left side than Hiwula does.

Grendel

Ah, but now you are being a bit silly, because of course you accommodate someone like Jones because he is so good.

We are not talking about Jones, we are talking about Hiwula vs Shipley

Personally, I wouldn't pick Shipley at the moment at all, as he is clearly struggling.

All I have consistently said is to why Robins appears to be picking him for games. He clearly sees that Shipley gives more balance and protection on the left side than Hiwula does.

Hiwula cost more than Jones and his pedigree is clearly better.

Robins isn’t even putting Shipley on the bench

He did well last year and I like his effort and endeavour but reality is he’s not good enough

Otis

Hiwula cost more than Jones and his pedigree is clearly better.

Robins isn’t even putting Shipley on the bench

He did well last year and I like his effort and endeavour but reality is he’s not good enough
He played only 2 or 3 games ago didn't he?

I agree he is not good enough at the moment. I am hoping he is just badly out of form. If not, he is clearly just not good enough for League One.

Be interesting to see what happens in January with him if this continues.

Grendel

He played only 2 or 3 games ago didn't he?

I agree he is not good enough at the moment. I am hoping he is just badly out of form. If not, he is clearly just not good enough for League One.

Be interesting to see what happens in January with him if this continues.

He hasn’t started a league game since the Portsmouth defeat and had played 15 minutes in the league since

Sky Blue Harry H

I'll throw something into the ring. If Hiwula is letting us down, could Brown play further up the pitch (he does seem to like going forward) and have McCallum/Mason behind him ?

Otis

I'll throw something into the ring. If Hiwula is letting us down, could Brown play further up the pitch (he does seem to like going forward) and have McCallum/Mason behind him ?
I thought the same thing this morning, Harry, but it's not something that has worked too well in the past, that of playing a fullback as a wide midfielder.

Grendel

Otis

11+ is he are new left winger.

giphy.gif
Are left winger.

Indeed.

covcity4life

Otis just stick to making shit jokes, you do not have a clue about football

shipley cannot tackle. he ball watches more than ogogo

fernandopartridge

No, a left back who can get forward on occasion doesn't necessarily make a successful winger. Remember that full backs usually prosper on the overlap rather than having to do the wingplay themselves.

Otis

Otis just stick to making shit jokes, you do not have a clue about football

shipley cannot tackle. he ball watches more than ogogo
Geez, if you are the oracle of all football we are all truly doomed.

I agree that Shipley cannot tackle. All I have consistently maintained is the reason why Robins has picked him for that left sided midfielder slot.

If you disagree, you really need to start calling Robins out on it for his ineptitude.

covcity4life

Geez, if you are the oracle of all football we are all truly doomed.

I agree that Shipley cannot tackle. All I have consistently maintained is the reason why Robins has picked him for that left sided midfielder slot.

If you disagree, you really need to start calling Robins out on it for his ineptitude.
i did and he promptly dropped him

Users who are viewing this thread